Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Good luck Phil! Hope the best on this case. ^
I agree with you. He must to have hiring with his attorney. If he doesn't have any hiring the lawyers and they will be represent to find his lawyer. He will be arrested again and he does not show up at the court on-time. He will have to take his arrangements at the trials. He will have to take his responsibility for it.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
I'm really not sure what he meant. Honestly, he seems to have missed the point.

I guess that depends. Once, before my wife became a naturalized citizen and had a green card, we drove from Buffalo to Niagara Falls (very romantic ). We left the U.S. and crossed the bridge to Canada. Canadian Immigration asked if we were both U.S. citizens and my wife answered, truthfully, that she was not. She was asked to produce her green card and that was when we discovered she forgot to bring it. We weren't allowed in to Canada and were turned around to re-cross the bridge back to the U.S. When we got to U.S. Immigration, we explained what happened and, of course, they would not admit my wife back. We were directed to the INS office (this was pre-DHS) and we explained what happened. They were very nice about it and took about 30 minutes to verify her permanent resident status. They then offered us a choice -- we could re-enter the U.S. immediately, or they could give us something that would admit her to Canada and then return, however we'd have to pay a $150 penalty. We opted for the latter (we really wanted to see the Falls) and that's what we did. On our return to the U.S., we stopped again at the INS office at the border, waited about 15 minutes to pay the penalty, and she was re-admitted. The whole process was handled by the INS sympathetically, politely and with good humor.

Was she detained until citizenship (or, in this case, permanent residence) could be verified? Yes. Was she harassed? Not in the least.

Oy. My civics class was a long time ago, but my law school education wasn't that long ago. Did they really teach you that the government gives us rights?
You such a romantic...

They did not out and out say that but when we talked about our rights vs. the USSR's citizens rights the thrust of the lesson was we had our because our Government granted them and the USSR's people had less rights because their government did not grant them the same rights.

The whole thing was pretty pro government and skewed history. On a positive note the teacher was fresh out of college and an ex-cheerleader.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
I think that he is found not guilty all of his charges. I believe that he will expect to be there at the court on February, 2010. He must to show up at the court on-time. He had returns back to ABQ to goes on the his criminal trial. If he fought with his case and if he will wins the court. If he not guilty all of his charges and the judge will be drop all of his charges. He will be dismissed with his charges.
I think the prosecutors will try to cut a "sweetheart" deal. I think they will offer to drop most of the charges and lower the remaining charges. Then they will offer a non supervised probation for 6 months on the reduced charge.

They will add up all the time possible (360 days I think) and the possible fines to make the 6 months probation look good. I expect the deal to be put forth on his first court date.

I hope his attorney encourages Phil to be in for the long haul.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:07 pm

Before I forget, I contacted the reporter that co-wrote this story on Phil asking him to write a follow up.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
The whole thing was pretty pro government and skewed history. On a positive note the teacher was fresh out of college and an ex-cheerleader.
I didn't know George Bush taught history -- explains a lot though.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
How do you know him? How??!? You were taught with former president George W. Bush?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:05 am

I blame the teaching on the leftist leanings of Government schools.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by ND Sol
And until recently ISP had a sign above the checkpoint that said "No Photography." So I am sure that some TSO's do think that photography may be prohibited.
OT - but was the sign at ISP taken down?

I haven't been to ISP lately (been using JFK instead).
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by al613
I have a friend, who is a US citizen, that did not have his US passport, just naturalization certificate. 18 month ago, he was traveling from Russia to US and on the stopover in Paris was denied boarding by CO, since he did not have US passport. He spent 2 days in the terminal trying to get a US consul to help him, but after some back and forth they have refused, saying that he never received his passport, so they can not replace it. So, he needs to apply for US passport and wait. he was not allowed to leave airport, since only when you have a US passport you don't need a visa in France (he had his Ukrainian passport on him as dual citizen). After 2 days he turned himself in to french immigration, spent 2 more days in immigration jail, was deported back to Russia (from where he came) and had to apply for US passport there. Couple weeks later he received his US passport and came back to US. So, I guess, they did not utilize any other means, since he had his naturalization certificate, US driver licence and social security card on him. He had to buy a new ticket, BTW, since CO refused to honor the old one (segment from Russia was on Airfrance and was used obviously)

(it was before active use of FT for me, otherwise i would post it here then.)
In the above case your friend was refused transport by CO, not refused admission to the US.

If your friend was able to make his way to a US Port of Entry, then he would have the right of entry as a citizen.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
....I hope his attorney encourages Phil to be in for the long haul.
I think this decision will be up to Phil - if he hired an attorney who officially suggests he decline an easy plea and go for it, that attorney is setting himself up for misconduct and serious liability should Phil end up on the losing end of his crusade.

I wish Phil all the best - so far none of us has shown near the same cojones to pull off something like this. We should hope that he has the stamina and legal representation to get this done right and leave the TSA and airport police with serious cream pie on their face and a solid legal precedent which will alter their behavior and policies in the future.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
OT - but was the sign at ISP taken down?

I haven't been to ISP lately (been using JFK instead).
I was told by an assistant city attorney a little over a month ago that it was in the process of coming down if it hadn't already. And I used your picture (without you in it) to show them the offending sign.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think this decision will be up to Phil - if he hired an attorney who officially suggests he decline an easy plea and go for it, that attorney is setting himself up for misconduct and serious liability should Phil end up on the losing end of his crusade.

I wish Phil all the best - so far none of us has shown near the same cojones to pull off something like this. We should hope that he has the stamina and legal representation to get this done right and leave the TSA and airport police with serious cream pie on their face and a solid legal precedent which will alter their behavior and policies in the future.
I pray that Phil has the stamina too. All I can offer him is moral support and maybe sell a t-shirt to aid in his legal defense.

Times like this I wish I were rich.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:14 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I pray that Phil has the stamina too. All I can offer him is moral support and maybe sell a t-shirt to aid in his legal defense.

Times like this I wish I were rich.
If he chooses to fight it, I've got more $$$ earmarked for him.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol
I was told by an assistant city attorney a little over a month ago that it was in the process of coming down if it hadn't already. And I used your picture (without you in it) to show them the offending sign.
Thanks for taking the time to contact the folks out in LI about the sign.

The way it is posted, it would appear that photography is not only prohibited at the checkpoint, but "beyond this point" (i.e. airside).

Sadly ISP has become a very large WN station and US is the only legacy left (ok, a good thing if WN is your carrier of choice). The airport is a nice alternative to JFK for travel to Long Island.

Will keep my eyes open when I'm at ISP next (probably won't be until after the 1st of the year).
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
If he chooses to fight it, I've got more $$$ earmarked for him.
Anyone know if the upcoming court date is an actual trial - or is it just a pre-trial conference type hearing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.