Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by pmocek
Whew.
Belated congratulations, Phil! ^

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I am still without internet access so I was unable to comment until now.

Phil, congratulations on justice being served. Thank you for not pleading down.
Long time, no hear. I hope things are going well for you.

Originally Posted by TXagogo
Even if we can't agree on many points here (or any points here!) regardng this case and TSA, legal issues, police issues, lobbying, etc.... I am just curious about one thing. Does anyone disagree with the following statement:

"Phil stood up against an overzealous police force that attempted to bully him and initimdate him because he did not do as they ordered him to do, despite the fact that his actions were within the bounds of law."

Just curious - who agrees with that statement and who disagrees?
Agreed 100%.

Originally Posted by bdschobel
It's a good question, with a complicated answer. In my experience -- and I have quite a lot of it! -- the police are not generally the TSA's friends. For one thing, the police generally hate people who pretend to be police, and the TSA are often guilty of that. Moreover, the TSA often call the police for no good reason, and the police aren't too fond of having their time wasted.
Yep, and Pistole knows this too. We really need to be watchful that the TSA does not create "LEO screeners".

Originally Posted by essxjay
Not sure what you mean by effective, but if credible representation is what we're looking for I'm not sure Kate Hanni is it. See here, here and here.
I've been critical of Kate Hanni as well, but she did speak at EPIC's "The Stripping of Freedom: A Careful Scan of TSA Security Procedures" conference a few weeks ago, along with Bruce Shneier and some other heavy hitters. I've not had a chance to read a transcript of what she said, though.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Response from ABQ on photography.

Thank you for you inquiry. I will address photography in the public areas of the airport, excluding the TSA checkpoint, which is federal property, as well as the private entities who conduct business in the terminal and have their own guidelines for photography in their areas. I will also address how these rules pertain to private photography, which is what I assume you are inquiring about, as opposed to photography or filming for commercial use.

The City of Albuquerque and Albuquerque International Sunport do not have any restrictions regarding photography in the public areas of the terminal. Many photos are taken daily in our facility of artwork, architecture and friends and families. Having said that, I am sure you are aware that the aviation industry as a whole continues to be a target for terrorism. If you are taking photos our airport, there is a possibility you may be approached by a police officer, especially if you are taking photos of something that the casual photographer doesn't normally photograph. Our officers are trained to be observant of anything suspicious, but to act in a cordial and professional manner.

In the case of Mr. Mocek, he was not approached by one of our police officers while in a public area of the airport (those which I am addressing in this email) and arrested for taking video. Our officers were requested to intervene, by the TSA, and was arrested only after refusing to leave the airport. As to the TSA guidelines, I am pasting them at the end of this email. They contain a contact number for TSA and the local TSA contact is 505-246-4100.

In closing, we welcome all travelers to enjoy our facility and all it has to offer. We strive to create a customer-friendly environment that balances customer service and security. Our police officers and staff have had numerous encounters with customers taking photos, made inquiries, and never detained a single individual. If you wish to discuss this matter further, I invite you to call or email anytime. I and the rest of the management of the Sunport take very seriously both security and the customer experience. I personally respond to all inquires and will follow-up until the matter is satisfactorily resolved. Again, thank you for taking the time to email and safe travels.

Security

Q. Is it okay to take pictures or videos inside the airport and at a checkpoint?

A. TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations; however, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances may. We recommend contacting your local airport authority in advance to ensure you are familiar with their local procedures. While TSA does not prohibit the public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming at screening locations, TSA may ask a photographer to stop if they are interfering with the screening process or taking photos of X-ray monitor screens in a checkpoint. The same guidelines apply to media. Members of the press should contact TSA's Office of Public Affairs, at 571-227-2829, prior to filming or taking photographs at a security checkpoint.

While there is a difference between taking a casual photo and someone conducting surveillance, travelers should not be surprised if TSA or local law enforcement inquires about their actions. This is important to ensure the safety of the traveling public and something our officers may do as part of their security mission.

Office: 505.244.7780
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:37 am

Programs: AA, WN
Mr Mocek,

Congratulations on winning your case more importantly, for acting in a calm, cool and collected manner. It took great courage to remember and assert your constitutional rights in such a stressful situation. Most people would not have naturally dealt with TSA and the police as professionally as you did.

I'm curious about a couple things. At the end of the video, when you told the police officer you wished to remain silent did you remain silent on the way to jail and until your release? Did police try to get you to talk? What was your experience in jail like? Was it scary and did they put you in a cell with people arrested for violent crimes who looked and behaved in an intimidating manner? Obviously, no one wants to go to jail, but if the price of civil disobedience or standing up for your rights is a night sharing a cell with suspected murderers, robbers, gang bangers, rapists etc, in addition to missing your flight and the other logistical hassles, then I'm obeying everyone at the airport LOL.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:01 pm
Suspended

And now Bloghdad Bob begins the spin...

http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/01/new-mexi...cek-quick.html
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Caradoc
And now Bloghdad Bob begins the spin...

http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/01/new-mexi...cek-quick.html
It seems odd at best (and that's putting it politely) that it's left to commenters to point out that the individual was acquitted.

I try to keep an open mind but that depiction of the situation on an official government site is disturbing.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Truly a new low on the TSA blog. The first two comments are very negative. I added a third. Let's see if it gets past the censors!

Bruce
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Truly a new low on the TSA blog. The first two comments are very negative. I added a third. Let's see if it gets past the censors!

Bruce
What Bob wrote was disgraceful.

He intentionally left out the part of Phil's acquittal to leave the impression that the TSA and the ABQ police did everything right and Phil did everything wrong.

Truly, Bob has no shame.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:44 pm

A recent case - New Mexico v. Phillip Mocek - is making the news recently. The case stemmed from Mr. Mocek’s failure to cooperate with the instructions of Albuquerque police officers at the Albuquerque International Sunport Airport after interactions he had with TSA transportation security officers.

Mr. Mocek had a boarding pass, but would not produce ID when asked. As I've said before here on the blog, if you don’t have an ID, TSA will work with you to verify you are who you say you are. On the other hand, if you refuse to provide information, you will not be permitted to fly. This process had begun with Mr. Mocek, but was not completed. Without an ID that matches the individual holding the boarding pass, we can’t be sure the passenger has cleared government watchlists.

As far as photography, as I stated in a previous post, TSA does not prohibit photography at checkpoints as long as there is no interference with the screening process. As TSOs were talking to Mr. Mocek to verify his identity, he was holding a camera up to film them and appeared to be trying to film sensitive security information related to TSA standard operating procedures on ID verification. Such behavior interferes with the ordinary course of business at the checkpoint and may well delay other passengers.

We are grateful for the support provided to TSA by the Albuquerque police.
Talk about spin. I would consider this to be borderline libelous. What instructions did Phil fail to cooperate with ABQ Police? Implying that Phil was not cooperating with ID verification is not true. What was the testimony that Phil was asked to stop filming because of SSI? Phil is not a "covered person." It is the job of the TSA to ensure that SSI is protected from us seeing it. That is not done by telling him to stop filming. Were they going to ask Phil to close his eyes while the form was in front of him?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
It is the job of the TSA to ensure that SSI is protected from us seeing it. That is not done by telling him to stop filming. Were they going to ask Phil to close his eyes while the form was in front of him?
I was thinking this too. If he was in view of and filming something SSI, what was to keep him from simply making a mental note of the SSI thing to share with other ne'er-do-wells? If the SSI was in his view already, the camera shouldn't have been a security problem.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Another dishonest posting from Bob. What a surprise!

Does TSA get sovereign immunity from libel?

Talk about spin. I would consider this to be borderline libelous. What instructions did Phil fail to cooperate with ABQ Police? Implying that Phil was not cooperating with ID verification is not true. What was the testimony that Phil was asked to stop filming because of SSI? Phil is not a "covered person." It is the job of the TSA to ensure that SSI is protected from us seeing it. That is not done by telling him to stop filming. Were they going to ask Phil to close his eyes while the form was in front of him?
Phil's only crime was showing contempt for TSA and the airport police.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 30, 2011 at 12:14 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Talk about spin
That's not spin. That's Blogdad Bob doing what he does best: Lying like a Philadelphia lawyer.

(And I should know. Philly born and raised.)

Originally Posted by Superguy
Phil's only crime was showing contempt for TSA and the airport police.
In the eyes of the law, that not a crime. In the eyes of the TSA/Gestapo, however...

For the record, my post to PV:

Hey Bob, were you a Philadelphia lawyer in a previous life? Because you certainly twist the truth like one. I'd even go so far as to say this post is libel by omission.

Last edited by n4zhg; Jan 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:24 pm

Were they going to ask Phil to close his eyes while the form was in front of him?
No, if the TSA followed their usual procedures for those who don't try to document the process and whom they deem to be "cooperating" sufficiently, after filling out the form based on Mr. Mocek's responses to their questions (name, address, previous addresses, etc.) they would have asked him to sign it (under penalty of perjury), which presumably would require him first to read it.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I just finished watching Phil's segment on Fox's Freedom Watch. The host got a few things wrong, but overall, it was just what opponents of the TSA would like to see much more often. He even noted that TSA is now appearing occasionally in train stations and bus stations, so their airport presence appears to be "just the tip of the iceberg." Indeed.

Phil looked great. And it was nice to see his videotape aired, even if the bottom was cut off (clipping some of the subtitles).

Bruce
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by phoebepontiac
I was thinking this too. If he was in view of and filming something SSI, what was to keep him from simply making a mental note of the SSI thing to share with other ne'er-do-wells? If the SSI was in his view already, the camera shouldn't have been a security problem.
Not to mention that if he is expected to sign that form, he has every right to receive a copy of it.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Perhaps Phil now has another case and this time he's the plaintiff rather than the defendant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.