Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
What!

The president won't say anything interesting. You will.

Bruce
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:03 pm

Anyone can listen to Wiggins' belt tape, though part of it went missing

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I listened closely to both witnesses to see if there was anything that could produce a perjury charge and found only sufficiently-objective item and that was whether or not Phil yelled "don't let them search you!" after his arrest. There was no evidence presented in the trial that would refute that allegation, but Officer Wiggin's belt tape (which wasn't presented as evidence) either does or does not contain that statement. If it does not (something which the DA knows), then I think perjury charges could be brought and Phil would have ground for a civil action. But, in my opinion, everything else was too subjective (e.g., what, precisely constitutes "yelling") and subject to misremembering to bring a perjury charge.
Wiggins' belt tape is public record. It was provided to me as a result of my public records request to the City of Albuquerque. Part of it is missing, and I was not given any explanation for that.

Notes I took on those recordings:
Code:
police_audio/DW_A0008.wav
    begin:  2009-11-15 14:35:41
    end:    2009-11-15 14:36:23
    length: 00:00:42
    "done. causing a commotion" - "well, you can be arr--"

police_audio/DW_A0008_1.wav
    begin: 2009-11-15 14:38:36
    end:   2009-11-15 15:05:25
    length: 00:26:49
    wiggins recorder

police_audio/DW_A0008_2.wav
    same as prev

police_audio/DW_A0009.wav
    begin: 2009-11-15 16:35:33
    end:   2009-11-15 17:20:30
    length: 00:27:25
    "stand up.  hands on your head" - custody transfer at downtown police dept
Richard, did you look at the criminal complaint? It was signed under penalty of perjury.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nsx
In my opinion, the legislature (Congress) is the proper place to seek change in the law. Legislators are best equipped to weigh all the interests against each other. Judges tend to have a more one-dimensional view. Judicial decisions make bad law, and their law is undemocratic and harder to correct. For this reason, I cannot be a fan of people who attempt to use the courts to effect change undemocratically when they have not exhausted the democratic legislative possibilities. Of course it's easier to persuade one judge to agree with you than to persuade a majority of Congress, especially if you have some control over which judge hears your case, but democracy requires the latter approach.

I'm happy for Phil, but I hope that protesters apply pressure to Congress in the future rather than playing rulebook games with the TSA. I think Congress is ready to consider some changes now, especially given the public's distaste for the new scanning machines.
Yes, the legislature is in most cases the preferred venue for enacting necessary legal change. However, when a government agency is engaging in conduct that is arguably unconstitutional and is being aided and abetted by a complicit legislative body that has abandoned its Consitutional responsibilities, courts are often the only available recourse.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by pmocek
The show's producer decided to devote more time to the President tonight, so I got bumped. I'm now scheduled to appear on tomorrow's show (Wednesday, January 26, 2011).
D'oh! Why your schedules has been changes from Tues to Wednesday? What is reasons why? I wasn't supposed to watched the TV tonight and not tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Deinonychus
It's on Fox Business.

It's a great show.
Thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow. What time the show is starts?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Wiggins' belt tape is public record. It was provided to me as a result of my public records request to the City of Albuquerque. Part of it is missing, and I was not given any explanation for that.
Incredible! More proof that Phil was not disorderly, and the testimony from both witnesses regarding post-arrest "shouting" was almost certainly perjury.

Bruce
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
NO, it is the way to change them.
You are free to reassert this claim as often as you like though it won't negate the fact that other avenues of change exist.

And Of course it is realistic (I don't see your points disputing that???),
I'm not looking for a fight here, FH, just expressing skepticism of the One True Way. Something about your insistence struck me as odd and I didn't quite know why until now.

I and many other lobbyists have done it to nearly EVERY single bill that ever passed congress. Walk down K street and see for yourself then get back to us.
Thanks, I'll pass. But I do appreciate your disclosing what it is you do.

Originally Posted by ehasbrouck
And the Identity Project is a nonprofit educational and legal organization, *not* a PAC or a lobbying organization.

All that said, we are pretty much the only group that has consistently tried to do many of the things being talked about here -- including doing what little we could (without being able to afford to represent him) to help Phil, limited by our own ability and by our resources.
A much belated welcome to FT, ehasbrouck. ^

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
FlyersRights.ORG has issues with TSA. They have already built the infrastructure, have successfully lobbied, and seem to be a growing organization.

Why not make an effort to join up with them if they are willing to push strongly to address TSA issues?
My thoughts exactly, and they've already proven to be effective with regard to tarmac delays.
Not sure what you mean by effective, but if credible representation is what we're looking for I'm not sure Kate Hanni is it. See here, here and here.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 26, 2011 at 12:08 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:39 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The show's producer decided to devote more time to the President tonight, so I got bumped. I'm now scheduled to appear on tomorrow's show (Wednesday, January 26, 2011).
Do you know about how much time you have or what they want to talk about?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:02 pm

And from what I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong), that missing part is the time when you were alleged to have made the "don't let them search you" comment.

Richard, did you look at the criminal complaint? It was signed under penalty of perjury.
No, I didn't, but the testimony at the trial leads me to believe that that allegation wouldn't be present there.

Of course, from a legal point of view, it doesn't matter whether you said it or not because:

(1) It would have been the most protected form of speech, being a protest against the government.
(2) A single yell can't rise to the level of "disorderly conduct".
(3) It was alleged you said it after the arrest and the judge was clear that anything said then isn't "disorderly" as a matter of law.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Because the show has been changes from Tuesday to Wednesday due to State of The Unions Address at Capital Hill.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by essxjay
Not sure what you mean by effective, but if credible representation is what we're looking for I'm not sure Kate Hanni is it. See here, here and here.
If an existing PAC is not suitable then I would think that only leaves a couple of choices, one, do nothing as a group or, two, take action to form a new group that addresses the issues of choice.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:50 pm

You are free to reassert this claim as often as you like though it won't negate the fact that other avenues of change exist.

I'm not looking for a fight here, FH, just expressing skepticism of the One True Way. Something about your insistence struck me as odd and I didn't quite know why until now.

Thanks, I'll pass. But I do appreciate your disclosing what it is you do.

A much belated welcome to FT, ehasbrouck. ^
A PAC wouldn't hurt. But I agree, not the only way. Why not pressure on a number of points: federal lawsuits, municipal and state actions against the scanners, congressional pressure.

the more the merrier. Let these b*st*rds feel the heat.

If our country was not so sick, anyone who tried to pull what TSA is pulling here, with the genital, breast, and butt grabbing, would be forcibly dragged out to a vat of tar and feathers, at a minimum.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
A PAC wouldn't hurt. But I agree, not the only way. Why not pressure on a number of points: federal lawsuits, municipal and state actions against the scanners, congressional pressure.

the more the merrier. Let these b*st*rds feel the heat.

If our country was not so sick, anyone who tried to pull what TSA is pulling here, with the genital, breast, and butt grabbing, would be forcibly dragged out to a vat of tar and feathers, at a minimum.
Exactly, there is no one solution. If we focus our efforts on one aspect, they will regroup elsewhere. TSA must be resisted at all levels in all places in every manner possible.

An unsigned hit piece on Boarding Area & a couple articles in the Cranky Flier blog. Have you looked at Cranky's resume? He's owned lock, stock & barrel by the airlines.

Kate Hanni's hardly a saint (initially I was very unimpressed by her) but she got the job done.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 26, 2011 at 12:09 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:23 pm

Photos of trial

For those who want to put faces to the voices, we've added photos of the principals to our audio archive of the trial:

http://papersplease.org/wp/2011/01/2...phillip-mocek/
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow. What time the show is starts?
9PM on fox business in EST.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:16 am

Earlier this thread was 104 pages, now it has newer replies and is 103 pages. I'm confused.

Edit: Well, now my post is on page 104. Irony.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.