Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
Originally Posted by ehasbrouck
Phil needs money more than anyone else here. He is out thousands of dollars (maybe an order of magnitude more than that) for private legal counsel and expenses to defend all our rights. To the credit of the Flyertalk community, that's where some of the contributions to his defense fund came from. But he's still got lots of legal bills to pay.

And the Identity Project is a nonprofit educational and legal organization, *not* a PAC or a lobbying organization.

All that said, we are pretty much the only group that has consistently tried to do many of the things being talked about here -- including doing what little we could (without being able to afford to represent him) to help Phil, limited by our own ability and by our resources.
Could you provide a link or mailing address for contributions so we know how to direct them to the correct fund? Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:41 pm

address for my legal defense fund

Originally Posted by Fisher1949
Could you provide a link or mailing address for contributions so we know how to direct them to the correct fund? Thanks.
Thank you for asking. Donations to my legal defense fund can be made via PayPal (managed by Cannabis Defense Coalition, a 501(c)(3) non-profit I volunteer for; I was attempting to return from representing CDC at an international drug policy conference in Albuquerque when I was arrested there in 2009) or via postal mail to:
Phil Mocek legal defense
Freedman Boyd Hollander Goldberg Ives & Duncan PA
20 FIRST PLAZA CTR NW STE 700
ALBUQUERQUE NM 87102-5802
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:30 pm

Audio archive of trial

The Identity Project has made our complete audio recording of Phil Mocek's TSA checkpoint trial available for streaming or download. Trials at this level in New Mexico are neither recorded nor
transcribed by the court, so this is the most nearly complete record of the trial available.

The MP3 recordings can be downloaded (for your education and entertainment during your next flight?) or streamed from the links at:

http://papersplease.org/wp/2011/01/2...phillip-mocek/

Mr. Mocek's responses to questions from the press in the hallway outside the courtroom, immediately after the verdict, are at:

http://www.archive.org/download/Stat...er_verdict.mp3

Our analysis of the "NOT GUILTY" verdict and what it means:

http://papersplease.org/wp/2011/01/2...uquerque-jury/

Background FAQ:

http://papersplease.org/wp/mocek/
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian

First one needs proper organisation with public leader/board of directors. YOu could do it with people here. You also need a funded PAC (political action committee) tied to that org. that one registers with the Federal Election Commission (within 10 days if inception). YOu also need VERY GOOD records kept on the PAC side, especially for donations. "Connected" PACS are very much watched, and non-connected PACS are after 1000$ in donations-record keeping is a big deal.

Also on the PAC side you have to be careful in targeting politicians for donations. Many will not want to be seen as getting money from groups "Soft on terror" (YES I know the group is not soft on terror but that marketing term is easy to throw around---and effective). God forbid even a minor thing happen, and the groups reps will get skewered on the news, and the linked politicians will drop all support, even if it had nothing to do with the groups stated goals. So you have to make sure your leadership and spokesmen are level headed and articulate.

The leadership of the action organisation needs to pick a headquarters, though they can work from all over. Then you work on funding from like minded people and start working the PR angle. Money will be key up front, but having smart PR bullet points/sound bytes backed up by science will be huge. They also need to start getting sound bytes and interviews with the public who has been affected negatively by the inane TSA procedures. You need this to look calm and even handed but still show outrage. A good PR hire can make this happen. It sounds manufactured, but that is what most Media is and sadly it is very effective in NOrth America and Europe. I'd be happy to type up examples when I have more time (I have a flight to catch in about 3 hours).

The other big thing is time. People must be willing to devote serious time to this endevour. The money is huge, but you need several like minded folks willing to put forth the time to try and affect real change. Finally, after the first blitz of media and money, you also pick a target date in the future for a rally in DC. Get the mall really permits and actually work to ensure you get 30-50,000 people to show up. This is actually the hard part. Remember the million man march of 400,000 people. Don't overpromise. You must underpromise and overdeliver. This makes for a much better news story.
The PR person can ensure the rally gets covered, and you find out which news outlets are sending reps to cover the event and you send them pre-event releases with talking points and guidelines.

Finally you show how the changes would actually save the tax payer money, make the country safer, increase trade and business, and respect rights. You do this by linking all the events above in a post rally blitz of congress and the media.

To write a real guide would take pages and pages but I'd be glad to help when I have a bit more time to type.

Ciao,
FH
Conceptually I am interested.

Give us some ball park numbers on funding if you can. For example, do not even think about it for less than $x, but $Y would be more reasonable. A really good organization can be put together for $Z.

You mention a good PR person. Is this a full time-hire or a contracted person typically in a start up?

What others? Writers? Someone to answer the phones?

As a business man, basic cash flow numbers will be good. How many dollars to start the process and how much monthly budget to support operations?

We may know very quickly if this is a project that we are able to do or not.

Thanks for the suggestion and help.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:56 pm

thanks, IDP

Originally Posted by ehasbrouck
The Identity Project has made our complete audio recording of Phil Mocek's TSA checkpoint trial available for streaming or download.
I'm very thankful that Edward and the rest of IDP made this happen.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TXagogo
Even if we can't agree on many points here (or any points here!) regardng this case and TSA, legal issues, police issues, lobbying, etc.... I am just curious about one thing. Does anyone disagree with the following statement:

"Phil stood up against an overzealous police force that attempted to bully him and initimidate him because he did not do as they ordered him to do, despite the fact that his actions were within the bounds of law."

Just curious - who agrees with that statement and who disagrees?
I totally agree. Correctly focuses on the police, not the TSA. The TSA may have summoned the police, but the police should have had the good judgment (and training) to see that Phil had broken no law. They escalated the situation, and forced Phil to endure an expensive and risky trial.

Bruce
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
Originally Posted by pmocek
Thank you for asking. Donations to my legal defense fund can be made via PayPal (managed by Cannabis Defense Coalition, a 501(c)(3) non-profit I volunteer for; I was attempting to return from representing CDC at an international drug policy conference in Albuquerque when I was arrested there in 2009) or via postal mail to:
Phil Mocek legal defense
Freedman Boyd Hollander Goldberg Ives & Duncan PA
20 FIRST PLAZA CTR NW STE 700
ALBUQUERQUE NM 87102-5802
I'll get a check out tomorrow. Thanks again for your courage.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:08 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Conceptually I am interested.

Give us some ball park numbers on funding if you can. For example, do not even think about it for less than $x, but $Y would be more reasonable. A really good organization can be put together for $Z.

You mention a good PR person. Is this a full time-hire or a contracted person typically in a start up?

What others? Writers? Someone to answer the phones?

As a business man, basic cash flow numbers will be good. How many dollars to start the process and how much monthly budget to support operations?

We may know very quickly if this is a project that we are able to do or not.

Thanks for the suggestion and help.
I will seriously answer your questions tomorrow (I am travelling and on connection stop at the moment) and it will take more than ten minutes of internet to answer ^

Ciao,
FH
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TXagogo
Even if we can't agree on many points here (or any points here!) regardng this case and TSA, legal issues, police issues, lobbying, etc.... I am just curious about one thing. Does anyone disagree with the following statement:

"Phil stood up against an overzealous police force that attempted to bully him and initimdate him because he did not do as they ordered him to do, despite the fact that his actions were within the bounds of law."

Just curious - who agrees with that statement and who disagrees?
I agree with the statement so far as it goes, but it does not mention that the reason why the police were there in the first place is because TSA employees were butthurt that their badges weren't being licked properly. TSA bears some responsibility in this instance for pulling a Cartman first.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:04 pm

Judge Napolitano just mentioned Phil's case on freedom watch. My favorite quote "This case is a huge victory for the rule of law in America. We have the constitutional right to travel as we please, and to record the govt in public, all without showing the govt our papers. This isn't East Germany it's America....no matter what cousin janet says."

Good job Phil.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:28 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I am sorry I missed the verdict before now: but major congratulations are due! ^
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:32 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmocek
I'm very thankful that Edward and the rest of IDP made this happen.
Your lawyers are fantastic . . . waiting for the other shoe to drop . . .
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by n4zhg
I agree with the statement so far as it goes, but it does not mention that the reason why the police were there in the first place is because TSA employees were butthurt that their badges weren't being licked properly. TSA bears some responsibility in this instance for pulling a Cartman first.
I defintely agree ^

I just wanted to see if anyone (and if so how many) on here actually thought that what Phil did (with regard to the police only) was wrong. And if anyone does not agree with that statement, I'm curious as to why.

But yes, the TSA is not free from culpability here.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:04 pm

taping a FOX Freedom Watch interview tomorrow

Originally Posted by deldel
Judge Napolitano just mentioned Phil's case on freedom watch. My favorite quote "This case is a huge victory for the rule of law in America. We have the constitutional right to travel as we please, and to record the govt in public, all without showing the govt our papers. This isn't East Germany it's America....no matter what cousin janet says."
What's the direct link to that show?

I'm scheduled to tape an interview for Tuesday evening's "Freedom Watch". I'm only a little bit familiar with the show, and I have no experience participating in such a production. If anyone here has anything helpful to say about this, I'd appreciate hearing it.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by deldel
YEEHAAAAWW!

But why is this so hard for people to comprehend? No, seriously. Why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.