Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Mileage Plus Cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I think the key is the RCC. How important is it to you? Based on your description, I'd think you'd want the Club since the RCC membership alone is worth more than the annual fee. You don't need to worry about the E+ since you'll be making 2P anyway.

For me, the RCC was not a factor and I don't come close to putting the requisite 35K on the card so the Select was a no-brainer. Speaking of which, has anyone had experience with the Select card? I purchased tickets on united.com a month ago for travel next month. The 3x miles were posted but I'm still eagerly anticipating the EQM. Should these be posted with the 3x miles or do I need to complete travel first? Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Zentos
I think what I'm asking is similar to the question and +1 above...

I recently got the Select Visa and I'm wondering if I get another one of the Visa cards, i.e. the Economy Plus card, will I get another 30K bonus?

Anyone know or been able to accomplish this? I'm assuming I'll have to wait 6 months for another Chase credit card in general, though.
As of a couple months ago, you could get the bonus again for it being a new card type. I've had and still have multiple ua cards, plat, sig, biz etc and when one of their new cards recently offered the 50k I applied for that and got the bonus. Very likely a "results will vary" situation though, and only worth trying if you have hard inquiries to burn.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aplfrit
Speaking of which, has anyone had experience with the Select card? I purchased tickets on united.com a month ago for travel next month. The 3x miles were posted but I'm still eagerly anticipating the EQM. Should these be posted with the 3x miles or do I need to complete travel first? Thanks!
You don't have to fly to earn the EQMs for the purchase of tickets on united.com. I've had inconsistent results in getting the EQMs posted. Sometimes they post very fast and sometimes they take a few weeks. I've called and been told it can take awhile.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by nycityny
You don't have to fly to earn the EQMs for the purchase of tickets on united.com. I've had inconsistent results in getting the EQMs posted. Sometimes they post very fast and sometimes they take a few weeks. I've called and been told it can take awhile.
Thanks! I'm counting on those EQMs to put me over the top.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nycityny
Anyone else have experience they can share with the Select card and EQMs posting?

Would there be a risk of not hitting a 1P or 1K threshold at the end of the year because the EQMs didn't post in time?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:05 am

Do Bonus Miles from Card Signup Count Towards Premier Elite Membership?

First time poster.

I'm considering the UA Mileage Plus Select Visa Card. Offering no fee for the first year and 30K bonus miles. I'm Premier and running short on Premier Elite. Will the 30K miles count towards moving me up to Premier Elite status?

Thanks for any and all help!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmountain
First time poster.

I'm considering the UA Mileage Plus Select Visa Card. Offering no fee for the first year and 30K bonus miles. I'm Premier and running short on Premier Elite. Will the 30K miles count towards moving me up to Premier Elite status?
No!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:47 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk bmountain! As mentioned, no, these 30,000 miles are RDM's and don't count toward elite status. You can get up to 5,000 EQM's (1 EQM per dollar) for tickets purchased on united.com with your Select card (not on the phone or other non-ticket purchases on United). There are a few threads on this over in the United forum that can explain the process/info in depth.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:03 pm

Unsolicited cards in mail

My wife and I both received new MP Visa Select cards in the mail. Same card number as our current "regular" MP Visa cards. Mailing looked just like a normal card replacement.

Thing is, we never requested to upgrade. And the letter attached doesn't mention that it's a higher annual fee, etc. In fact it doesn't mention a fee anywhere in the fine print. The only way I knew this was a different cards with different fee was through this FlyerTalk board.

Are they offering complimentary, automatic upgrades? Or is this some kind of sneaky way to trick us into upgrading?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: HA Platinum
First Time Offer

I do not have a United credit card.

There's a first time offer when I log into my account. I can get a United Chase VISA credit card and 50,000 miles bonus after I spend $250 in qualifying purchases. First year fee is waived, $95 per year after that. I can also earn 3X miles for ticket purchases on United and Continental. Double miles for grocery and gas purchases.

Does anyone out there see any negatives if I get the credit card and use it for the first year, get my bonus miles and then cancel? Do they require a set contract period that I have to keep the card? I have other credit cards that I use regularly and don't want to carry a lot of cards.

Or, I could keep the card activated and get the 5,000 EQM bonus miles annually.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by gs-flyer
I do not have a United credit card.

There's a first time offer when I log into my account. I can get a United Chase VISA credit card and 50,000 miles bonus after I spend $250 in qualifying purchases. First year fee is waived, $95 per year after that. I can also earn 3X miles for ticket purchases on United and Continental. Double miles for grocery and gas purchases.

Does anyone out there see any negatives if I get the credit card and use it for the first year, get my bonus miles and then cancel? Do they require a set contract period that I have to keep the card? I have other credit cards that I use regularly and don't want to carry a lot of cards.

Or, I could keep the card activated and get the 5,000 EQM bonus miles annually.
Got the same offer for my seventeen year old. Wondering if there is any point in applying since he is a minor- the agent said that if he has been a mileage plus member for a few years now, he may be able to get it. He was checking up on it, when we were disconnected.

Anyone have any info on that?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:26 am
MCB

Programs: UA former 1P, WN A-List, Hyatt Pt, HH Au, Marriott Ag, SPG Pt, Accor Pt, IHG
Does anyone have a quick pointer to a list or table of Chase UA MP Visa products? The sheer number of different cards and the overall number of Chase Visa products is staggering, and it would be great to see them in one place and try to figure out if it would be useful to upgrade or change cards.

I have had a Chase UA MP card for a number of years, and every time they send me a new one when the old one expires it seems to look different. The current one is labeled "Visa Signature" and "Platinum Class". I think it is supposed to earn some EQM for some purchases, but looking at my statements I am not sure if I am getting them correctly.

I don't fly as much as I used to, and no longer have status, but would be happy to pay a fee for access to E+ and priority security/boarding (and often do via Priority Travel or whatever it's called now), and if I can earn EQM with some non-air purchases I might have a chance at 2P again next year.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:41 am

MP Visa Options

Try this link:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,10017,3865,00.html

I see 4 flavors:

Mileage Plus® Club Visa®
Mileage Plus® Access Visa®
Mileage Plus® Select Visa®
Mileage Plus® Signature Visa®

The MP Access Visa with a $275 annual fee includes annual E+ seating, so it might be a worthwhile card if you travel a lot (or even a few times). Plus 2 One Time RCC passes...
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:10 am
MCB

Programs: UA former 1P, WN A-List, Hyatt Pt, HH Au, Marriott Ag, SPG Pt, Accor Pt, IHG
That is very illuminating, thank you! It looks like my Signature card is not really getting anything special at all, and is the lowest tier (although I remember "upgrading" it from, I think a Visa Gold or something like that, apparently no longer offered).

The bad news is that the tiered benefits are apparently not cumulative: you have to choose between double miles/triple miles on Select vs. the E+ feature on the Access. And unfortunately the Club level does not include the features of the other cards. (Personally, I don't really care about RCC, but if they threw it in for a reasonable marginal fee I'd go for it.)

I also went to compare the price of E+ annual access and RCC membership, and was surprised to see that they are more than the corresponding annual fee for the credit cards. Am I missing something? Or is it just a subsidy in order to acquire/retain Visa business?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: united mileage plus
got a different card

Yesterday, I got my new MP "Select" card in the mail - only it wasn't a Select card. It says Visa Signature on the front. Inside the mailing there was a slip that said they had run out of the cards and were sending this one in its place. It also said they would be sending me a replacement card in 60 days but that the current one would have all the perks of the card I had ordered. All the other enclosures referred to the Select card. The rep I spoke to when I activated the card said whatever the slip said must be correct. When he started going over the aspects of the card there were some things that seemed even better than what I had already read before choosing the card and for a moment I thought Signature might be a higher level but it appears from this thread that it's not the case. Anyway, I expect to see a "Select" card in the mail in the next 60 days. I thought the "running out of the cards" note was really strange. Did anyone else have this happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.