Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Gold vs. Cap. One Venture vs. Chase Sapphire????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

My husband and I are considering getting a credit card that we could put our day to day expenses and bills on in order to earn travel points. We don't travel for work anymore so we are no longer racking up hotel points or airlines miles. We currently have no credit card debt and would intend to pay the card balance in full every month. We have very good credit and so I don't think that it will be an issue to get one of the cards that we mentioned. It seems that everyone we talk to has a different opinion on which travel rewards card is best. The AMEX Gold was the front runner but after doing some research it seems that the only airline alliance that they will have after September is with Delta? Is this correct? We prefer usually to fly Continental, British Airways, or Southwest for little jumps. It would be nice to earn enough points for either a free ticket or some free hotel rooms for a vacation once a year. I understand that the Venture card reimburses your travel purchases out of yor point bank and that the other two cards work more like a traditional point redemption system. Is there any card that outranks the others? Or maybe even one that would be more appropriate that I haven't even mentioned.

Please help someone who is completely CLUELESS when it comes to travel rewards!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:32 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by cluelesstravelcards

My husband and I are considering getting a credit card that we could put our day to day expenses and bills on in order to earn travel points. We don't travel for work anymore so we are no longer racking up hotel points or airlines miles. We currently have no credit card debt and would intend to pay the card balance in full every month. We have very good credit and so I don't think that it will be an issue to get one of the cards that we mentioned. It seems that everyone we talk to has a different opinion on which travel rewards card is best. The AMEX Gold was the front runner but after doing some research it seems that the only airline alliance that they will have after September is with Delta? Is this correct? We prefer usually to fly Continental, British Airways, or Southwest for little jumps. It would be nice to earn enough points for either a free ticket or some free hotel rooms for a vacation once a year. I understand that the Venture card reimburses your travel purchases out of yor point bank and that the other two cards work more like a traditional point redemption system. Is there any card that outranks the others? Or maybe even one that would be more appropriate that I haven't even mentioned.

Please help someone who is completely CLUELESS when it comes to travel rewards!

There are many threads, blog posts, etc about this but it all varies somewhat person to person. The only AMEX Membership Rewards partner that is leaving Sept 30th is Continental. British Airways and the others currently in place will remain (Southwest is not a transfer option as far as I know).

If I were in your shoes, I would get at least two different cards, or one for each of you. AMEX Gold is a good choice for one, but I would consider one that allows for Continental/United redemption for the other. Personally, I would get either a Continental or United airline specific Chase card or a Chase Sapphire card that currently has the 50,000 bonus points.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
yeah get the free united or continental cards while they last(search around and hope you get a 50k offer)

amex you can wait on..

venture card I would also wait on(they had a good offer of 100k points matching earlier this yr)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.