Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United VISA: "You will forefit all of your united miles if you cancel"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United VISA: "You will forefit all of your united miles if you cancel"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by Dunbar
Is Chase no longer pro-rating the annual fee when you cancel? That's what they told me when I called but I went ahead and cancelled anyways. Last year I cancelled then a week later they called back and offered to waive it if I kept the card.
Just an update, I called to verify my account was closed after receiving a terms and conditions update in the mail. The account was indeed closed but there was a $60 credit on the account! The CSR flat out lied to me about the annual fee being non-refundable. I asked about 3-4 times and he said no adding "you've already paid it so you should keep the card." I'm going to wait for the the $60 refund check to clear and complain to Chase.

Jeez, are these retention CSR's like the police in that they are allowed to lie to you to try to get what they want
Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dunbar
Just an update, I called to verify my account was closed after receiving a terms and conditions update in the mail. The account was indeed closed but there was a $60 credit on the account! The CSR flat out lied to me about the annual fee being non-refundable. I asked about 3-4 times and he said no adding "you've already paid it so you should keep the card." I'm going to wait for the the $60 refund check to clear and complain to Chase.

Jeez, are these retention CSR's like the police in that they are allowed to lie to you to try to get what they want
Get the name and location and turn 'em in.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:03 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Get the name and location and turn 'em in.
I did complain through the webiste message application but all I got was the canned we're sorry you were misled type response. So I wrote a letter to the Chase corporate customer service office detailing everything. Today I received a personal call apologizing and saying that this employee's manager would be made aware of this situation and receive additional training. Hopefully they're not just blowing smoke (since I'm no longer a customer.)

For the record, if you close your account within 90 days of the annual fee charge it is automatically refunded.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I just called and a Chase guy told me I would lose all of the miles that I had accumulated with United even though the card has been open for 9 months. I hung up and called back and had another lady say the same thing. I told her to read the terms to me over the phone, and she apologized for being wrong. She then closed the account and told me I had 18 months from the time of the last milage deposit to use the miles.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by tmapian
I finally cancelled my Chase United Mileage Plus Visa card today after milking it for all it was worth- and had a rather strange exchange with the cancellation supervisor. Keep in mind - I've drained my Mileage plus account down to < 10, however, about half of the miles earned were from VISA, the other half actual flown miles. The conversation went something like this:

tmapian: I'd like to cancel my card
Supervisor: Are you aware that by cancelling your Chase card you will be forefiting all of your United Mileage Plus miles? Your account will be closed and you will have no access to your miles.
tmapian: Um, that's not true. I've flown numerous times this year and credited those to my account, and Chase can't touch those
Supervisor: (in a angry tone) Sir, I've been a Chase supervisor for over 18 years, don't you proceed to tell me my business. You will lose all your miles, case closed. When you signed up for the card you agreed to this, and I can fax you the highlighted terms and conditions if you want"
tmapian: Yea, just cancel my card.

I literally have less than 5 miles left in my Mileage Plus account, so I really don't care if they do "take all my miles"- however, I find it hard to believe that they can actually do this - especially with BIS miles. Thoughts?
I have had points taken away/back in the past. So it is possible.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 1:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Best way I learned how to cancel a credit card: "I'm moving back to Japan"

You can literally hear the yelp of the retention guys because it's not in their playbook.

Though my CapitalOne retention guy did try his best to keep me alive:

CO: "Our card is one of the only few cards that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees..."
Me: "How do I pay my credit card bill? Surely you're not going to send a monthly credit card bill via mail all the way to Japan"
CO: "You can do online banking..."
Me: "Japanese banks do not use electronic checks, moreso people don't use checks period. And I'll be living in a yen society so I have to deal with the hassle of converting JPY to USD just to pay my US-based credit card?"
CO: "I see...okay. So you're really sure you want to cancel? (noted sense of nervousness because he can't think of anything else)"
Me: "Yes"

Last edited by kebosabi; Dec 3, 2008 at 1:29 am
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Best way I learned how to cancel a credit card: "I'm moving back to Japan"

You can literally hear the yelp of the retention guys because it's not in their playbook.

Though my CapitalOne retention guy did try his best to keep me alive:

CO: "Our card is one of the only few cards that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees..."
Me: "How do I pay my credit card bill? Surely you're not going to send a monthly credit card bill via mail all the way to Japan"
CO: "You can do online banking..."
Me: "Japanese banks do not use electronic checks, moreso people don't use checks period. And I'll be living in a yen society so I have to deal with the hassle of converting JPY to USD just to pay my US-based credit card?"
CO: "I see...okay. So you're really sure you want to cancel? (noted sense of nervousness because he can't think of anything else)"
Me: "Yes"
Haha, thats great. Will give it a try next time I need to cancel something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.