Wiki Posts
Search

UA/Chase Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,BA,NW,EK
UA/Chase Visa Card

Just got my new card in the mail today. The deal I signed up for was 25,000 miles up front and the $60.00 fee waived for a year. I was just wondering, anything stopping people from cancelling the card just before the year is up, then in a month or two apply for another one. Bonus miles again and fee free for the year.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by britmike
Just got my new card in the mail today. The deal I signed up for was 25,000 miles up front and the $60.00 fee waived for a year. I was just wondering, anything stopping people from cancelling the card just before the year is up, then in a month or two apply for another one. Bonus miles again and fee free for the year.
Can't do it--there are many threads about this in the credit card forums. Chase used to allow multiple bonuses, but no longer. Chase only allows one bonus for a personal card, and one for a business card.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:37 pm
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
hi - moving to credit card forums.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
And they may take the bonus miles away if you close within 6 months of the first statement.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:08 am

Programs: Status? What's that? :)
I have the Gold Class UA MP Visa which differs from the regular MP Visa in which the benefits include earning 2 miles for every $1 in UA purchases as well as 2,500 Anniversary Bonus miles each year, for $85 annual fee. However, since I haven't purchased any tickets on UA for travel in the past 4-5 years (though I still fly on UA now and then for work, but charged to the company's corporate Diners card), is it worth keeping this card or should I downgrade to the regular MP Visa? In other words, is the 2500 anniversary bonus miles miles worth $85?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by tayd; Jun 5, 2008 at 9:22 am
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by tayd
I have the Gold Class UA MP Visa which differs from the regular MP Visa in which the benefits include earning 2 miles for every $1 in UA purchases as well as 2,500 Anniversary Bonus miles each year, for $85 annual fee. However, since I haven't purchased any tickets on UA for travel in the past 4-5 years (though I still fly on UA now and then for work, but charged to the company's corporate Diners card), is it worth keeping this card or should I downgrade to the regular MP Visa? In other words, is the 2500 anniversary bonus miles miles worth $85?

Thanks,
David
For me, it's not worth it. 2500 miles for $85 is almost 3 cents a mile. Way too expensive. Instead, you could apply for a new UA Visa with the fee waived for the first year--you probably won't get the bonus miles, but at least you should get the annual fee waived for a year.

Another thought, if you don't fly UA much, you may be better off ditching the UA credit card, and getting a no fee, cash-back card.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by tayd

Thanks,
David
I'm thinking about downgrading as well, especially if I could get bonus miles for the other card. Originally, the 2500 miles makes sense, especially if you consider that you are effectively buying those miles at 1cpm if you are set on having a UA card. ($85-$60 = $25 opportunity cost/2500 miles = $0.01/mile) That worked for me, but.... I'd like another 25k pop please! ^_^

Are we sure that chase only allows one per person in personal and business? I mean, techinically the gold and signature are seperate products, so wouldn't it make sense that if you bought both products you should be able to get the bonus?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:29 pm

Programs: Status? What's that? :)
All,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've called Chase Customer Service (1-800-537-7783) and have converted my MP Gold Class card to the "basic" card that has no annual fee but only earns 1 mile for every $2 spent. I do have the option for "upgrading" back to the regular MP Visa (that earns 1 mile per $1 with a $60 annual fee) or even the Gold Class card should my travel needs changes.

wsflyer - Most of my day-to-day purchases goes to my PenFed Visa (5% gas; 2% groceries and 1.25% for everything else) and on the AMEX TrueEarnings Costco card (3% gas, 2% restaurants, 1% Costco/everything else). Oh, and Discover with their 5% cash back with whatever categories that may be running during the months throughout the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.