Community
Wiki Posts
Search

40,000 UA Miles, No 1st Yr Annual Fee...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by martian
So is the reason for cancelling instead of consolodating cards to keep your credit limit low? I know with Chase you can keep applying even if you already have accounts with them? Can you do this with Citi or do you have to cancel out the ones that you already have?

Cheers... :-: :-:
I saw a post a few months ago that mentioned a hard limit of 4 Citi cards to one name at any one time. Not sure if Diner's Club is included.

I have had 3 Chase (UA, CO, and Cash Plus Rewards) and 3 Citi (AA, Premier Pass, Diner's Club) cards at the same time with no problem.

I have yet to get a new card with a limit that was lower than a previous one, with the same bank. So for me combining credit limits has worked out so far. I have also done it with Amex, combining a Delta into an SPG, although it's not as straight-forward with them for some reason.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by jshorey
Often you can get short-term cards removed from your credit report just by contacting the score people and saying that the card was issued in error. It worked for me

I was wondering if you guys can give me the phone number or website where i can call the 'score people' to cancel my short term UA mileage card.... I just got my UA credit card about 2 months ago and i want to cancel it permanently with the 'score people' and then reapply again.. so that i wont get screwed with credit score..... thanks.. please respond wit ur experience...
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I have a quick question, when you call to get them (any bank) to waive the annual fee on your card, should you call before the annual fee posts to your account, or after (to have them remove it). Or does it not matter?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
At what point to you reapply? I understand you apply, get the card, buy gas, pay online, then once billed, you cancel. But at what time to you reapply? Do you reapply online as soon as you cancel the cards. Thanks. This is great information.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:27 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by jhflyer
Dudemon, thanks for sharing. I have a question regarding your strategy -- how big of a change is there in one's credit report/FICO score if one opens a new credit card account every 6 weeks for the 20K miles?

Thanks.
You might check out http://www.myfico.com/ for some general info on credit scoring.

For credit bureaus: Two of the largest ones are:

http://www.equifax.com/

http://www.experian.com/

http://www.transunion.com/index.jsp

The FTC has some detail here: http://ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/fr...rts/index.html on how you can get your free annual credit report here: http://www.annualcreditreport.com/
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:06 pm

Smile

When you call to cancel your credit card, what do you tell the rep? I'm sure he/she knows that we are just abusing the system to get free mileage pts.... Don't they ask you any questions about mileage during cancellation? hahaah, just curiuos.. let me know.. its my 3rd month with this card now.. i think its time.. ahhahaha
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by Dudemon
I cancel the card as soon as the miles post, usually this is when the first bill arrives.
Dudemon: At what point do you reapply? For myself, I received the card, I received the miles, and I've canceled the card. But how long should I wait to reapply? Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 3:56 pm

duplicate

Last edited by ansatzjp; Jun 13, 2011 at 9:48 am
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by UA Newbie
When you call to cancel your credit card, what do you tell the rep? I'm sure he/she knows that we are just abusing the system to get free mileage pts.... Don't they ask you any questions about mileage during cancellation? hahaah, just curiuos.. let me know.. its my 3rd month with this card now.. i think its time.. ahhahaha
I wouldn't mention anything about "abusing the system" to the CSR. As the T&C clearly state, they are more than welcome to retrieving their miles from your account if you cancel within the first 6 months.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:15 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
A thread on the United board indicates that a CSR threatened to retract bonus miles when the poster tried to cancel the card after about four months. Was this just an aggressive retention CSR? Has anybody else run into this? Earlier this year I cancelled a card in well less than six months with no problem.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:47 am

Programs: UMP MR
6 months is the min you have to keep the card now.
Chase updated their T&C's.
At least they still let you churn their cards...just not as frequently.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:28 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Originally Posted by JiggyForMiles
The six months has not previously been enforced. Do we know it is being enforced now?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ned
The six months has not previously been enforced. Do we know it is being enforced now?
Last week I called to close one of my two accounts (it was open for five months) and was told that the bonus miles would be revoked from my account, and if the miles were no longer in my account, I would be charged for them. I don't know if all of this would actually occur or not, but I opted to wait another month before cancelling.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:01 pm

They can't revoke miles that have already been redeemed though...

Are they offering any retention bonuses if when you cll to cancel after 6 months?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by JiggyForMiles
I admit I am not up to date on all acronyms, what is T&C? And, has anyone had their mileage taken back after canceling their card in less than 6 months? I read on this board that you now have to wait 6 months, but how do you know, where does that information come from?

I canceled my card recently, and was told my mileage would be taken back. I said, "okay," not really believing them, and considered it an experiment to see if they would or not. Of course, I could be wrong, but my mileage has not yet been removed, yet.

I wonder if they really can. After all, United and Chase are two seperate businesses. One may be able to make a deposit into our Mileage Plus accounts, but they may not be able to take it out. Isn't it the same as if I had someone's checking account number, I could depost money into their bank account, but I can not make a withdrawal.

I don't know, those are just my thoughts. But what is T&C? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.