Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase points at $.0132?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:17 am

Depends what you're sitting on. I think a lot of us during Covid were worried about stockpiling UR's as we couldn't use them and then the birth of the PYB platform alleviated that. If I am sitting on a small balance I would buy as many as I could at .013 because the redemption for dining is .015, an easy, guaranteed spread at minimum. If I'm sitting on a million UR, I'm passing unless I know I want to take a 500k-1M UR trip and want all the discounts I can get, and knowing that you can get .02x easily on Chase transfer partners. All about what you currently have and what your short term needs are. Any program can get devalued in the blink of an eye so I usually have a 3-6 month outlook. Any issuer can also change their criteria to "get eyes on your account" too, so while things may be easier now, they can crack down at any point, and with Chase, that would be the Ink line and OSS however they were smart enough to cap their losses from day 1 on that with earning limits.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by mia
Most recent discussion here, beginning at post 567: Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

The notion is that a "large" rewards account balance will attract an audit.
Thanks for the link.
Based on my reading, I think my chance for an audit would be pretty low as the vast majority of my purchases are "valid" as opposed mfg spending. Though I do admit to buying Office Depot GC when they go on sale (which isn't to often) Other than that, it's just a combination of things I have mentioned before a 3-t years of saving points instead of transferring them to various partner programs.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:48 am
RNE

Originally Posted by pkerr
My goal is to have a 7 figure balance by end of the year. Getting really close.
Originally Posted by RNE
Indeed, you're getting really close to eyes on your account.
I think my chance for an audit would be pretty low as the vast majority of my purchases are "valid" as opposed mfg spending.
If you read what I said, you'll see it has nothing to do with specific purchases or spending; it's solely about your balance, which as it grows increases the chance of eyes on your account (something axiomatically undesirable). Should you worry? I didn't when I stockpiled well over a million URs. But I was aware of the risk, no matter how slight.

RNE, wishing you well on your big Europe trip next year.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RNE
If you read what I said, you'll see it has nothing to do with specific purchases or spending; it's solely about your balance, which as it grows increases the chance of eyes on your account (something axiomatically undesirable). Should you worry? I didn't when I stockpiled well over a million URs. But I was aware of the risk, no matter how slight.

RNE, wishing you well on your big Europe trip next year.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Let's assume they do an audit. Is it truly an audit where they are trying to determine if you are partaking in an shenanigans or is a mere formality and they will close you down regardless as to what they find. And maybe there is no answer to this hypothetical... just curious if someone ever "survived one.
And thank you for your kind words. We had a pretty epic trip 4 years ago. Hoping this next one can match it.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:31 am
RNE

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Let's assume they do an audit. Is it truly an audit where they are trying to determine if you are partaking in an shenanigans...
Correct. Chase closes accounts only when it thinks* is has good reason to do so. Merely having a large UR balance is no such reason. Its only risk, as I said, is bringing eyes on account.

*On rare occasion, innocent actions/transactions can appear otherwise and Chase may act on that misimpression. Like I said, this is rare. Don't worry about it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RNE
Correct. Chase closes accounts only when it thinks* is has good reason to do so. Merely having a large UR balance is no such reason. Its only risk, as I said, is bringing eyes on account.

*On rare occasion, innocent actions/transactions can appear otherwise and Chase may act on that misimpression. Like I said, this is rare. Don't worry about it.
Thanks for all the helpful information!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.