FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   CSP Vs CSR, how much points am I losing? Also what to downgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2073482-csp-vs-csr-how-much-points-am-i-losing-also-what-downgrade.html)

lleung1980 Mar 27, 2022 8:08 am

CSP Vs CSR, how much points am I losing? Also what to downgrade?

So I used to have the CSR as my main travel credit card, but a few months ago, I took advantage of the sign up bonus, downgraded the CPR to Chase Flex, and re apply for CSP. Now I'm traveling a lot more for work, is there a way to calculate how many points I'm missing out with CSP vs CSR? I'm wondering if I should downgrade CSP and re apply for CSR again.

If I decide to re apply CSR, What is my downgrade option? I already have the Freedom and Freedom Flex cards

mia Mar 27, 2022 9:19 am

Originally Posted by lleung1980 (Post 34110882)
....a few months ago....re apply for CSP. ....if I should downgrade CSP and re apply for CSR again.

You will not be able to product change from Sapphire Preferred until the account has been open for 12 months. If you need 3X, rather than 2X, in the Travel category, consider applying for INK Preferred.

lleung1980 Mar 27, 2022 9:32 am

I'm looking to downgrade CSP to free card like Freedom, then re apply for CSR. Do I still have to wait 12 months for that?

mia Mar 27, 2022 9:37 am

Originally Posted by lleung1980 (Post 34111111)
Do I still have to wait 12 months for that?

In general, USA banks will not allow product changes in the first 12 months, because the law does not permit any change of Terms in that period.. The specifics do not matter, but you can ask if your account is eligible to change.

blueman2 Mar 27, 2022 10:20 am

Originally Posted by lleung1980 (Post 34110882)
... is there a way to calculate how many points I'm missing out with CSP vs CSR?

Assuming you use PYB to monetize your points, then travel spend on CSR = 4.5% back, and CSP = 2.5% back, so CSR gives you extra 2%. If you spend $7,500 in a year on travel, CSR would net you an extra $150. With the $300 annual travel credit, that brings CSR net annual fee cost down to $100. So at > $7,500 annual travel spend, you are better off witih CSR than CSP. And you get the other CSR benefits like PP Club access, etc.

pallhedge Mar 29, 2022 6:56 am

Originally Posted by lleung1980 (Post 34111111)
I'm looking to downgrade CSP to free card like Freedom, then re apply for CSR. Do I still have to wait 12 months for that?

You can't be approved for a new CSR until it's been 48 months since your last Sapphire bonus. You're not close to that as you just got one for CSP.

blueman2 Mar 29, 2022 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge (Post 34116881)
You can't be approved for a new CSR until it's been 48 months since your last Sapphire bonus. You're not close to that as you just got one for CSP.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can be approved for a new CSR (4 days after PC from CSP), but not get the sign up bonus if less than 48 months since last SUB.

pallhedge Mar 30, 2022 7:18 am

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 34118141)
Correct me if I am wrong, but you can be approved for a new CSR (4 days after PC from CSP), but not get the sign up bonus if less than 48 months since last SUB.

This is incorrect. Refer to my earlier comment.

mia Mar 30, 2022 8:04 am

Here are the Sapphire Reserve offer terms:

This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 48 months

blueman2 Mar 30, 2022 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge (Post 34120205)
This is incorrect. Refer to my earlier comment.

Originally Posted by mia (Post 34120323)
Here are the Sapphire Reserve offer terms:

wow! That is kind of crazy. If you get a SUB from a Sapphire card in the last 48 months, you cannot get another Sapphire card period? I guess the PC option is still there? This is a counterintuitive policy IMO. I incorrectly assumed that you just cannot get another SUB. But no card at all is pretty brutal.

Jprod Mar 31, 2022 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 34111227)
Assuming you use PYB to monetize your points, then travel spend on CSR = 4.5% back, and CSP = 2.5% back, so CSR gives you extra 2%. If you spend $7,500 in a year on travel, CSR would net you an extra $150. With the $300 annual travel credit, that brings CSR net annual fee cost down to $100. So at > $7,500 annual travel spend, you are better off witih CSR than CSP. And you get the other CSR benefits like PP Club access, etc.

This is correct. Another way i look at it is that if you use UR points exclusively/ vast majority on their portal you need to use 62,000 points that way a year to break even

The math
550-300 ( credit ) -95 = $155 ( I personally put 0 value on the $50 hotel credit bc I rarely if ever book hotels through third party booking systems )

$155/ .0025 ( the difference in what the points are worth through chases portal between the CSR and CSP) =62000 points

ericdabbs Apr 5, 2022 10:57 am

Do understand that if you re-sign up for the CSR you will not be eligible for a sign up bonus since you received one within the last 48 months. Also in your case OP, since you just signed up for the CSP within the last year you won't be able to downgrade the card for at least 1 year.

I don't think its worth signing up for a new credit card if I am not getting a sign up bonus. I think my travel habits have changed and they beefed up the CSP card so much where now the dining 3x multiple is the same between both cards and they added a $50 hotel credit for the CSP. The biggest things I lose are Priority pass and 1x more on travel (2x with CSP vs 3x with CSR) which is not a big deal to me since travel expenses are not that high on my spending category and I have to pay an extra $155/year for it.

Cledaybuck Apr 7, 2022 11:13 am

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 34111227)

The math changes if you are transferring points. There is also the AU fee to consider for some people too.

algs26 Apr 9, 2022 6:57 pm

If you like the CSR for the 1.5X PYB/portal then the US Bank Altitude Reserve might also suit you.

cozysuite May 5, 2022 11:38 am

Although OP's situation is different, assuming if you have 48+month eligibility since the last CSR/CSP bonus,
What is the point of "downgrade" to another card? credit score?
If you have Freedom to keep UR points, is there any pitfall to just cancel CSP/CSR and then reapply the other card CSR/CSP?

EDIT:
My bad.. I found a long story regarding benefit of product change here:
Product Change
But in this case no chance for SUB unless additional card which is downgraded.