Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve $300 Annual Travel Credit

Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandelmundo
Sapphire Reserve Annual Travel Credit

Previous discussion:
Chase Sapphire Reserve $300 Annual Travel Credit (2016 - 2021)

There is a SEPARATE thread which discusses which transactions are reimbursed: What counts as travel? [Sapphire, INK, Consolidated] (Gas Station and Grocery Store purchases were reimbursed through 12/31/21.

There is also a thread which discusses transactions not reimbursed because the merchant does not use the expected classification code: List of travel sites that DO NOT earn extra UR due to an incorrect MCC?

How are the dates calculated?
For cards issued prior to May 21, 2017 it was Reimbursed per Calendar year, not membership year. Purchases must be posted (not pending) by your December statement (dated any time Dec 1 through Dec 31) to be credited against current year's $300 credit. Any travel spend that posts after the December statement will credit against the next year's $300 credit.

For cards issued after May 21, 2017, it will be reimbursed by membership year.

But my 2nd annual fee is after May 21, 2017, why didn't my travel credit reset?
Because if you got your card before that date, your travel credit will continue to reset after your December statement.

Does the travel credit count as minimum spend?
Spend is spend, the credit is the credit. The $300 reimbursement is a separate item from spending requirements( the $300 reimbursement on travel, $100 Goes all count towards the $4,000 only the $450 yearly fee doesn't). You must spend $4000 for your signup bonus UR points. If part of that spend is categorized as travel, a credit will post to your account accordingly. They are separate items.

Even if you return a purchase after you've met your $4000 initial spend it will not count against your spend.

Can I get two travel credit fees if I apply in the middle of the year?
Not for applications after May 21, 2017.

If I upgrade (from CS etc), does the credit reset on my annual fee?
It appears the credit will reset on the anniversary of your upgrade, while the annual fee continues on the original date.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone else had gas charges prior to December 31 that have not been covered by the travel credit? I've had December grocery credits post, but nothing for gas. The gas purchases posted before December 31st, are coded as gas, and there is credit remaining that should've applied.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by enabler
Has anyone else had gas charges prior to December 31 that have not been covered by the travel credit? I've had December grocery credits post, but nothing for gas. The gas purchases posted before December 31st, are coded as gas, and there is credit remaining that should've applied.
Both a Costco gas and a grocery have been reimbursed, from the last week of December.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by enabler
I had a bunch of grocery and gas purchases in the last two days of December but the travel credit wasn't applied and a statement was generated with no credits for it. I gave Chase a call and it turns out their system for travel credits is stupidly coded to the date the transaction is posted, which can be several days later, and not the date the transaction occurred. The rep submitted an escalation ticket to have the travel credit applied to my purchases and said I should see a credit in about a week or so. But it will roll into my next statement period.

Last edited by colonelcasey; Jan 4, 2022 at 11:55 am Reason: Got a better answer.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by colonelcasey
I....in the last two days of December....
When was your statement closing date?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by mia
When was your statement closing date?
Statement closing date was 1/3/2022. Transactions occurred on 12/30/2021 and 12/31/2021 but the rep said they weren't posted until 1/2/2021. So they made the cut for the statement but not technically for the travel credit. I'll see how the escalation works out but I'd expect them to fix it.

Last edited by colonelcasey; Jan 4, 2022 at 12:37 pm Reason: Grammer
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
So they made the cut for the statement but not technically for the travel credit.
This is normal for Chase. Bonus tracking cuts off earlier than the statement cycle end. The missing credits will post at the end of the next cycle.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This is normal for Chase. Bonus tracking cuts off earlier than the statement cycle end. The missing credits will post at the end of the next cycle.
Kinda sucks because it slows down my plan to PC from the CSR this month (AF posted at the start of January 2022). But I think I have 40 days to get my AF back in full so I should be able to do it after the current statement closes.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: Airline independent, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Will Chase claw back travel credits if I downgrade to CFU? And/or what will happen to PYB purchases made with the CSR just before downgrade?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Kinda sucks because it slows down my plan to PC from the CSR this month (AF posted at the start of January 2022). But I think I have 40 days to get my AF back in full so I should be able to do it after the current statement closes.
If you PC you have 90 days.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by philemer
Please elaborate. Are you saying that a PC within 90 days gets a full refund, or a PC after 90 days gets no refund, or something else? I had thought that PC anytime got a pro rata refund. Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by serpens
Please elaborate. Are you saying that a PC within 90 days gets a full refund, or a PC after 90 days gets no refund, or something else? I had thought that PC anytime got a pro rata refund. Thanks.
It looks like I've misspoken. Here's a quote from pallhedge from mid-2020: ."...At last check, for downgrades you get ~40 days for a full refund. If you cancel, you have 30 days...." Not sure if things have changed since then.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:37 am

It looks like I've misspoken. Here's a quote from pallhedge from mid-2020: ."...At last check, for downgrades you get ~40 days for a full refund. If you cancel, you have 30 days...." Not sure if things have changed since then.
To further clarify, the 40 days mentioned above is from when the AF posts (always the 1st of the month) and the 30 days is from the statement date that has your AF on it.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

But a Product Change gets a prorated refund at any time during anniversary the year, doesn't it?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS, WN, UA
I have the version where my travel credit year reset on 1/1, and my annual fee is coming up later this month. I don't have any travel charges, save a checked bag charge for one of my kids, and I am thinking I will cancel the CSR when the annual fee comes up. It's probably a jerk move but should I could I... buy miles from Alaska Airlines, before canceling? Have people had that a) work and b) not had it clawed back if cancelling a few weeks later? I can see on the wiki that some Alaska charges (boardroom, in-flight purchases) have not been accepted but not straight up miles necessarily.

Last edited by bayareafamily; Jan 11, 2022 at 10:38 pm
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by bayareafamily
… should I could I... buy miles from Alaska Airlines, before canceling? Have people had that a) work and b) not had it clawed back if cancelling a few weeks later? I can see on the wiki that some Alaska charges (boardroom, in-flight purchases) have not been accepted but not straight up miles necessarily.
Miles purchases are handled by points.com, so probably would not code as travel.
bayareafamily likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.