Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do I cancel my United Gateway card to get another United card?

Do I cancel my United Gateway card to get another United card?

Old Dec 23, 21, 6:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 219
Question Do I cancel my United Gateway card to get another United card?

Hi Seniors, I downgraded my United Explorer card in 2020 to United Gateway. Now I m thinking of traveling so want to upgrade but also get bonus points. I called customer service and they told me I would need to cancel my United Gateway card to apply for another United card and get bonus points. If I cancel my United credit card, my credit limit will go down. Is cancellation really needed to get another United card with bonus?

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 23, 21 at 8:07 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
jamesbondc is offline  
Old Dec 23, 21, 11:05 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Posts: 36
I know you can have a United personal and business card simultaneously, but I'm not sure about having two personal cards.

Do you have any other personal Chase cards? You could transfer the credit limit from your Gateway to another card, retaining the available credit, before applying for the Explorer.
quikj is offline  
Old Dec 24, 21, 3:24 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: UA Life Gold, 1.4MM
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by quikj View Post
I know you can have a United personal and business card simultaneously, but I'm not sure about having two personal cards.

Do you have any other personal Chase cards? You could transfer the credit limit from your Gateway to another card, retaining the available credit, before applying for the Explorer.
Just apply online for a new card. As long as your credit is good there should be no problem. The only limit is whether you have received a point bonus in the last two years on the Explorer card. Keep the Gateway card because of no annual fee.
I have four chase cards currently. You might also check the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
SouthPoleFlyer is offline  
Old Dec 24, 21, 4:48 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 219
Originally Posted by quikj View Post
I know you can have a United personal and business card simultaneously, but I'm not sure about having two personal cards.

Do you have any other personal Chase cards? You could transfer the credit limit from your Gateway to another card, retaining the available credit, before applying for the Explorer.
I have Chase Freedom credit card. Can they put the credit limit of United Gateway to that?

Originally Posted by SouthPoleFlyer View Post
Just apply online for a new card. As long as your credit is good there should be no problem. The only limit is whether you have received a point bonus in the last two years on the Explorer card. Keep the Gateway card because of no annual fee.
I have four chase cards currently. You might also check the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
I had the United Explorer back in 2018 and got the miles at that time. I downgraded it in 2020 as I wasn't flying, now want to upgrade but also want to get bonus points. So you think we can have two United credit cards and get the promo miles?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 24, 21 at 8:37 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
jamesbondc is offline  
Old Dec 24, 21, 9:59 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 13,705
No problem having two United cards, as long as your credit supports the new one with the old.

i have the Gateway and the Select, as does my wife. Got bonuses for each when we got them (a long time apart - the gateways were actually the TravelBank cards that got converted).
SPN Lifer and jamesbondc like this.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 8:14 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 219
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
No problem having two United cards, as long as your credit supports the new one with the old.

i have the Gateway and the Select, as does my wife. Got bonuses for each when we got them (a long time apart - the gateways were actually the TravelBank cards that got converted).
I may apply for another United card if they increase the bonus at signup but I am thinking of cancelling an old card which doesn't give any points or cashback. If I cancel now and apply for United new card in few months is the cancellation of old credit card okay?
jamesbondc is offline  
Old Mar 26, 22, 10:38 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Programs: United
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by jamesbondc View Post
I may apply for another United card if they increase the bonus at signup but I am thinking of cancelling an old card which doesn't give any points or cashback. If I cancel now and apply for United new card in few months is the cancellation of old credit card okay?
There is no reason to cancel the older card if it is not the same care you applying for to get a bonus. The only rule in general is that you have not already got a bonus for that card type in the last 24 months. On some very high end chase cards (not united), it is 48 months. I think all united cards are 24 months. For instance if you got a bonus 3 months ago you could still apply for the united club card and get another bonus all while keeping the freedom or similar card.
jamesbondc likes this.
jrquad is offline  
Old Mar 26, 22, 11:26 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 219
Originally Posted by jrquad View Post
There is no reason to cancel the older card if it is not the same care you applying for to get a bonus. The only rule in general is that you have not already got a bonus for that card type in the last 24 months. On some very high end chase cards (not united), it is 48 months. I think all united cards are 24 months. For instance if you got a bonus 3 months ago you could still apply for the united club card and get another bonus all while keeping the freedom or similar card.
I have a card from back in the day with low credit limit and no cashback or points so that's why thinking of cancelling it.
I haven't used the card for past five years so thought I cancel that so new card wouldn't say already have enough credit already and don't need more so reject.
jamesbondc is offline  
Old Mar 26, 22, 11:28 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Programs: United
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by jamesbondc View Post
I have a card from back in the day with low credit limit and no cashback or points so that's why thinking of cancelling it.
I haven't used the card for past five years so thought I cancel that so new card wouldn't say already have enough credit already and don't need more so reject.
Average credit length may be more important in keeping a good credit score. I have 100K in available credit and chase will still give me a bonus card.
jamesbondc likes this.
jrquad is offline  
Old Apr 14, 22, 7:27 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 219
Originally Posted by jrquad View Post
There is no reason to cancel the older card if it is not the same care you applying for to get a bonus. The only rule in general is that you have not already got a bonus for that card type in the last 24 months. On some very high end chase cards (not united), it is 48 months. I think all united cards are 24 months. For instance if you got a bonus 3 months ago you could still apply for the united club card and get another bonus all while keeping the freedom or similar card.
Just got approved for United card. Customer service guy says card will be sent in seven to ten days can't send it quicker but the time to spend to get promo starts from day you got approved. In past if requested card used to be sent quicker. Did that change recently? Thanks.
jamesbondc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread