Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/cxLoyalty portal.

Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
Starting in November 2021, the Chase Travel portal is operated by cxLoyalty, a travel agency owned by JP Morgan Chase.

The portal was previously operated by Expedia. Discussion from October 2018 to October 2021 is HERE.

Earning Frequent Flyer Points / Miles

Flights booked via the Chase Travel portal will usually earn frequent flyer miles according to the fare code ultimately purchased, pursuant to the airline program's rules, in a similar way to booking directly with the airline. Each program has its own exclusions, so make sure to verify each fare individually.

Note: American Airlines has announced that third party bookings made after May 1, 2024, will no longer earn miles or loyalty points unless the supplier is on a "preferred travel agencies" list. The list will be released in April 2024. For more information: Update on Third Party Booking Miles Eligibility

Hotel nights booked via the Chase Travel portal rarely earn hotel program points or benefits. This is because most hotel programs specifically exclude third party platform bookings from earning rewards or elite status benefits.
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/cxLoyalty portal.

Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Gold, National EE

Has anyone else noticed that the travel portal has changed? The interface is slightly easier/better, but the hotels I was looking at earlier in the week now cost more points, and one hotel (Blue Palace in Crete) isn’t even showing up. I hated dealing with Expedia before, but I actually miss having the old interface. I did end up calling Chase, and they confirmed I could book Blue Palace via phone (in case this is a temporary glitch, you can call 8553431902 for a hotel not showing up), but the total amount of points were again higher for what I found earlier in the week and the prices didn’t change.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by LAX2DCA
the prices didn’t change.
That seems odd, since the UR points should just be valued at 1.5 cents per point, so pretty easy to determine if it's right or wrong. Expedia is changing their point structure, but I don't know if it's taken effect yet, and it should not affect Chase UR points. Did you book at the new rate?

Last edited by MisterBill; Nov 3, 2021 at 9:33 am
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:43 pm

According to Doctor of Credit, Chase has switched from Expedia back to cxLoyalty, which they recently bought. That would explain the change in UI.
HungryNomad likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
See this page: https://ultimaterewardstravel.chase....veldisclosures

Travel services are provided by cxLoyalty, Inc., a service provider to JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. ("Chase") Member FDIC and its affiliate Loyalty Travel Agency LLC (collectively, "Travel Services").
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Ah, awesome, thank you! I think I read about them moving at some point. It looks like they shifted on November 1. I still don't know why the hotel prices are a bit higher, although it's likely user error on my end.
miket likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....total amount of points were again higher for what I found earlier in the week and the prices didn’t change.
The prices shown on the Chase website or prices shown elsewhere?

cxLoyalty also operates Citi's portal, and many times hotel booking are outsourced to ... Expedia. It will be interesting to see if this happens with Chase bookings.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:32 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

It's important to understand that:

a. cxLoyalty does not source any hotel inventory directly. It all comes from 3rd parties/intermediaries (including Expedia). There are many, many, intermediaries in this space, although we have no specific knowledge of which ones cxLoyalty uses. Expedia is one of the largest though, so you can bet a good portion is theirs.

b. Prices can change frequently--even multiple times day. Points redemptions are based on the cash price that cxLoyalty is sourcing the inventory at from the intermediary, so if the underlying inventory goes up/down, you will see the number of points change.
SanDiego1K and MisterBill like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
The prices shown on the Chase website or prices shown elsewhere?

cxLoyalty also operates Citi's portal, and many times hotel booking are outsourced to ... Expedia. It will be interesting to see if this happens with Chase bookings.
Prices shown on the Chase website. I marked down what the prices were earlier in the week (before the cxLoyalty interface switch) and later in the week with the new interface, and the prices were higher. I'll just track them to see if they go down and rebook since I booked refundable rates.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 8:20 pm

How about this deal?

3-star hotel in Rome.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:09 am

Prices shown on the Chase website. I marked down what the prices were earlier in the week (before the cxLoyalty interface switch) and later in the week with the new interface, and the prices were higher. I'll just track them to see if they go down and rebook since I booked refundable rates.
Make sure you clear your cache and cookie on Chase portal. Maybe they track you and show you higher prices.
brwitt likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:30 am

Seems like Universal Studios tickets are no longer available through the portal. I found them when searching a couple weeks ago but that must have been through the old portal. Called today and the CSR couldn't find anything about tickets.
jn in ca likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 11:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I have two concerns and I'm curious if anyone else has them.

1) In the last week, since the conversion to cxLoyalty, the ultimaterewards website has been horribly, unuseably slow. Tonight it took me like half an hour to book a simple one night hotel reservation. I'm having no speed problems with the main Chase website, only ultimaterewards.

2) Concurring with scott6k above, I am seeing a noticeable reduction in the hotels to choose from. Even some of my regular chain hotels are no longer showing, no matter what date I try.

When Chase switched to Expedia, a lot more hotels appeared, so maybe it should not be a surprise that so many hotels have been lost with the move back to cxLoyalty:

Chase Travel using Expedia

For now one of my UR cards, CSR, is still on the Expedia bookings, and my FU card is now migrated to cxLoyalty, so the degradations are really noticeable to me.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jn in ca
I have two concerns and I'm curious if anyone else has them.

1) In the last week, since the conversion to cxLoyalty, the ultimaterewards website has been horribly, unuseably slow. Tonight it took me like half an hour to book a simple one night hotel reservation. I'm having no speed problems with the main Chase website, only ultimaterewards.

2) Concurring with scott6k above, I am seeing a noticeable reduction in the hotels to choose from. Even some of my regular chain hotels are no longer showing, no matter what date I try.

When Chase switched to Expedia, a lot more hotels appeared, so maybe it should not be a surprise that so many hotels have been lost with the move back to cxLoyalty:

Chase Travel using Expedia

For now one of my UR cards, CSR, is still on the Expedia bookings, and my FU card is now migrated to cxLoyalty, so the degradations are really noticeable to me.
I have not noticed it going slowly--if anything, I thought the Expedia portal was a lot slower! For the reduction in hotels, I called Chase travel and they were able to pull up the hotel I wanted, but they had to transfer me to another department (Chase Online Services). They gave me the number to call back: 855-343-1902. You may have to HUCA--it seemed like some agents could find the hotel I wanted this way while others did not know it was an option or could not find the hotel. After a few callbacks, I got the hotel booked on points, but it was a bit of a painful process considering the whole thing could be done online if they had all the hotels listed.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:05 pm

Has anyone reserved a rental car through the portal recently for a trip to Mexico? I found a really good deal through what I think is still the old portal, but it doesn't say much about the insurance included (and required by law) in Mexico.

Chase portal

If I do the same search on expedia, lots of the results are listed as including liability coverage:

Expedia

I guess the answer here is I may have to call them, right?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

I have a Chase Sapphire card that has the new benefit of an annual $50 credit for a hotel stay booked thru Ultimate Rewards. I became eligible on my anniversary date of Oct 1. On Oct 31, I made the booking and was charged in full for it. It's now 2 weeks on and I have yet to receive the credit. How long has it taken for others?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.