Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/cxLoyalty portal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
Starting in November 2021, the Chase Travel portal is operated by cxLoyalty, a travel agency owned by JP Morgan Chase.

The portal was previously operated by Expedia. Discussion from October 2018 to October 2021 is HERE.

Earning Frequent Flyer Points / Miles

Flights booked via the Chase Travel portal will usually earn frequent flyer miles according to the fare code ultimately purchased, pursuant to the airline program's rules, in a similar way to booking directly with the airline. Each program has its own exclusions, so make sure to verify each fare individually.

Note: American Airlines has announced that third party bookings made after May 1, 2024, will no longer earn miles or loyalty points unless the supplier is on a "preferred travel agencies" list. The list will be released in April 2024. For more information: Update on Third Party Booking Miles Eligibility

Hotel nights booked via the Chase Travel portal rarely earn hotel program points or benefits. This is because most hotel programs specifically exclude third party platform bookings from earning rewards or elite status benefits.
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/cxLoyalty portal.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by mia
Is it the voucher that Chase Travel claims not to have, or are you seeking to have the voucher converted to a refund?
I want a refund. The voucher AM had offered to me directly had very tight restrictions which rendered it unusable. AM did not ask me to accept or refuse voucher. And that voucher timeframe as long-since expired per AM's rules. I never replied to AM to accept voucher. So, per US DOT rules for flights to/from the US I am only seeking a refund of points and cash paid. That's what I sought from chase travel mid last year. That's what I'm still seeking now. chase travel's pro forma emails claim to have 'followed up with Aeromexico regarding the status of (my) refund request and are still awaiting their response.' There is no mention of voucher by chase travel.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by SCtime; Jun 2, 2022 at 5:22 pm
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If the airline is the problem I might contact my US Representative or Senator to find out why the DOT complaint was not effective. Chase's travel agency cannot force the airline to issue a refund.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by SCtime
I want a refund. The voucher AM had offered to me directly had very tight restrictions which rendered it unusable. AM did not ask me to accept or refuse voucher. And that voucher timeframe as long-since expired per AM's rules. I never replied to AM to accept voucher. So, per US DOT rules for flights to/from the US I am only seeking a refund of points and cash paid. That's what I sought from chase travel mid last year. That's what I'm still seeking now. chase travel's pro forma emails claim to have 'followed up with Aeromexico regarding the status of (my) refund request and are still awaiting their response.' There is no mention of voucher by chase travel.
It's the Air Canada fiasco all over again.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA1k, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
No PQP on United when booking U fare class through Chase UR?

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
To clarify answers above - you don't need to cancel the UR booking - just proceed with seat selection etc on UA.
The only disadvantage is that sometimes UR bookings are done with special fares, and the PQP and PQD are different than you would expect. They are not very transparent from that point of view.
In the past, when I've booked United flights in Premier-qualifying miles/credit/etc fare classes through Chase UR, I earn the associated PQP/PQM/PQD/Lifetime flights as long as the fare class is not N (i.e. not basic economy). This was true based on W and U fare classes booked through Chase UR as recently as early March 2022. Starting this spring in April 2022, I tried booking 2 trips (1 in April and one booked in June for travel in July) via Chase UR in United U fare class, and both in my united app showed as ineligible for Premier Qualifying Credit, despite displaying U fare class (categorized as "high economy fare" by United). The first time I cancelled the Chase reservation and rebooked through United directly - same fare class, same price, earned the PQP/PQS/Lifetime flight miles.

Has anyone else had this puzzling experience? Since elite earnings are typically based on fare class, I have been surprised to see this. Is it based on the Chase UR new portal provider (huge downgrade in customer service based on my recent experience). Thought I'd try here before attempting to "stump the 1k line".
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:00 pm

Airline credit issues! Freaking chase man...

I had to cancel a Delta trip booked through Chase travel a while back. My wife and I had our delta account numbers entered, and our travel credit showed up on our actual delta accounts. But the third passenger did not have their frequent flyer info, and so the only place I see the airline credit in on the chase travel portal. But if I click “use credit”, it opens a virtual chat window and it just says it "Sorry, I couldn't find your booking with this information". Has anyone used airline credit on their portal before? I was really hoping I wouldn't have to call in, because it takes about an hour to call in and get through their mess of a customer support system.

(Chase's chat system is a mess by the way.. 95% of the time, I can't cancel a flight or do anything through that system because it says I can't find my info...)
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
So has Chase stopped using Expedia or not? I made two hotel bookings in Mexico last month for a visit this past week, and at both hotels the information in their system said my reservation was from Expedia. I had thought all bookings were now run through the new outfit, but maybe not?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:28 pm
mia

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
....Expedia. I had thought all bookings were now run through the new outfit....
cxLoyalty is also the portal operator for Citi, and many ThankYou Rewards hotel bookings are routed through Expedia, probably because Expedia functions as a hotel consolidator. cxLoyalty may not have the scale to compete with the cost that Expedia has for room nights. (This refers to the agency's cost, not the rates that we pay.)
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
My spouse booked a hotel in august using chase portal and UR points earned from the Chase Sapphire. Now we want to CXL trip. Is there a penalty? What is best way to CXL?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
My spouse booked a hotel in august using chase portal and UR points earned from the Chase Sapphire. Now we want to CXL trip. Is there a penalty? What is best way to CXL?
Hotels set their own cancellation policies.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by gaobest
If you are w/in the free cancellation period you can cancel from the Chase UR portal. Go to my "Trips" and cancel.

Last edited by philemer; Jun 29, 2022 at 9:07 pm
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:53 pm

Stupid question probably (I tried searching, but couldn't find the exact scenario):
I want to book either a round trip or two one-ways on JetBlue Mint from BOS-LIR (although on the return, it has a 7 hour layover in JFK and then onto BOS, so I'd just either not use that last portion of ticket, or get a one-way LIR to JFK directly).
JetBlue points redemption on the direct flights is basically 0.01/point. In that case I think I'm better off using my CSP to redeem my UR via Chase Travel portal. But the question there, is what happens if the flight is cancelled (not by me, by JetBlue due to whatever)? Do I get the UR points back, or is it in the useless (IMO) form of a 1-year hard expiration voucher that only I can use?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pleasantly surprised with Chase Travel

I have been booking a trip to Europe and was pleasantly surprised at the options that the Chase Travel portal offered. We didn't have enough points to buy a ticket with points but after pricing out options I found that a simple search on Kayak was about $850 per person round trip ORD-AMS returning BRU-ORD but it booked in basic economy. Chase offered $1150 for its "basic economy" option and $1350 for "mixed". I initially dismissed those but then looked at the booking codes. The "basic economy" was actually W class on UA, which is not basic economy but regular economy. The "mixed" option booked into R class (premium econ) on the outbound and W on the return. Combining that with my remaining 35k points I wound up paying about $1000 each - nice to spend only $150 to upgrade to premium economy on the outbound from basic economy!

In looking at car rental options, Chase also came through. Kayak was all $400+ to rent an economy car for the weekend at Schipol. Chase showed all those as well - but also $350 for a Hertz "Compact Elite" car which is nicer.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Purchase flights on UR portal vs airline website to maximize rewards

Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere - search came up empty.

I am about to use my new CSP card to meet the min spend (~ $5300.), buy biz tickets on LY.

One of the primary reasons for buying the tickets (vs using rewards) is to earn EQM on AS to help maintain status. So while it would be great to earn an extra ~26,500 UR points for booking flights through the UR portal, the AS miles and EQMs are worth much more to me.

Another possible strategy: LY currently allows free changes and cancellations (voucher) https://www.elal.com/en/PassengersIn...e-Booking.aspx . So if I purchase tickets through the Chase portal to earn URs, then change / cancel directly with LY (via WhatsApp), add my AS MP number to the new reservation, it should be possible to maximize rewards. In this scenario, am I better off cancelling, reapplying the voucher, or booking a different date of travel with the same fare on the Chase portal, simply change directly with LY?

To clarify: All tickets would be purchased on LY metal, for travel on LY. It is possible to earn AS miles, EQM on LY metal https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...srael-airlines

Most grateful for any guidance.

Last edited by diver858; Jul 20, 2022 at 7:05 am
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Originally Posted by diver858
Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere - search came up empty.
Another possible strategy: LY currently allows free changes and cancellations (voucher) https://www.elal.com/en/PassengersIn...e-Booking.aspx . So if I purchase tickets through the Chase portal to earn URs, then change / cancel directly with LY (via WhatsApp), add my AS MP number to the new reservation, it should be possible to maximize rewards. In this scenario, am I better off cancelling, reapplying the voucher, or booking a different date of travel with the same fare on the Chase portal, simply change directly with LY?
I very much doubt this will work:
a) LY won't honor it for booking on other metal
b) CR travel often creates tickets that no-one else can change - including the airline. You can't just take control of the booking by entering a FF number.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:16 am
mia

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
b) CR travel often creates tickets that no-one else can change - including the airline. You can't just take control of the booking by entering a FF number.
This seems to be addressed in the link included by diver858.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.