Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
Here is the paypal list of vendors that should trigger the 5% category bonus for "paypal purchases". I've copied it over from the AMEX thread "https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...june-30-a.html". Please feel free update with your experiences.

Merchant Description
While a PayPal charge is pending, "PayPal" may not appear in the merchant description but will once the charge posts (e.g., a pending charge listed as "BESTBUY.COM" will become "PAYPAL BESTBUY.COM"). - need to see if this works the same on Chase as it does AMEX.

Google Pay
PayPal can be added to Google Pay via payments.google.com > Payment Methods > Add a payment method (note that not all Google Pay is created equal; e.g. this doesn't seem to work for Fi payments - at least on AMEX)

Known Working Examples
List of some vendors that accept PayPal, from the official PayPal website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...l-credit-promo

Travel
  • Airfare purchased from some airline websites. (does not work with DL, UA, WN as they do not accept AMEX via PayPal) (need to check how airfare works with Chase).
  • Flightradar 24
  • Uber Cash reloads
  • Lyft cash reload
  • US passport renewal application fee may accept PayPal
Donations and content creator payment platforms
  • Nonprofits: Doctors Without Borders, Feeding America, Pro Publica, WBEZ, KUOW
  • Bandcamp
  • Patreon
Shopping
  • Ace Hardware (online only?)
  • AARP Gift Cards (note discounted every Monday through rewards portal) as well as your membership dues
  • Banza Chickpea Pasta (eatbanza.com)
  • Bed Bath & Beyond (online orders)
  • Best Buy
  • Chewy
  • CVS Drugstore/Pharmacy (using show to pay QR code generated in Pay Pal app) Pay Pal must be mapped to qualifying Amex card with said benefit
  • eBay, including seller charges
  • Eddie Bauer (online only?)
  • Ex Officio
  • Express Scripts prescription fulfillment
  • Gap Factory Web
  • store.google.com
  • Home Depot (definitely online, possibly also in-store)
  • Hudson Valley Foie Gras
  • Keurig.com - it can be a set it and forget it if you use Green Mountain's subscription service
  • Macy's (online only?)
  • Nuts.com
  • PayPal eGift cards (merchant gift cards)
  • Poshmark
  • Starbucks card reloads
  • T2 Tea (online)
  • Target (not on iOS app)
  • USPS.com (stamps, shipping supplies, cards and envelopes, etc.)
  • Walmart
Streaming/Digital subscriptions
  • AT&T TV Now
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • NY Times
  • Spotify
Phone / Videoconference Services
  • VOIP.MS
  • Airalo.com
  • Zoom
Gas Stations
  • Shell (via Shell app) - however, note some FT'ers have reported needing to call in and manually credit
  • BP (via BPme app)
Gaming Digital Distribution Platforms
  • Steam (wallet reloads work)
  • PlayStation Network (wallet reloads work)
  • Battle.net (wallet reloads work)
Dining
  • Grubhub / Seamless / UberEats
Home utilities
  • Puget Sound Energy (PSE)
  • Possibly others that use "Paymentus" as a processor
Print Wikipost

Q4 2021 Chase Freedom Cards--5% bonus: Walmart & Paypal Purchases

Old Oct 5, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
My Walmart purchase two days ago also got only 1x. It was coded as grocery. It is only a few dollars worth.

I don't know the true answer, but I suspect not all the registers at Walmart are coded the same. I noticed that a couple of months ago when I got my new CSP and it offered $50 grocery credit. One of my Walmart purchase was coded as grocery and I received the grocery credit. Another purchase I made later on the same day at the same Walmart was coded something else (I forgot what the category was) and I did not receive the grocery credit.

FWIW, this happened at one of the Walmart "Supercenters", and I used different self check out registers.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 5:35 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
I shopped at Walmart on Sat 10/3 and my statement closed last night ...
Edit: Sunday 10/3
It is not unusual for transactions posted late in the billing cycle to not receive bonus points until the next statement. It appears Chase closes bonus tracking a few days before statements are generated.
lkar likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
By my count I have made one payment with two separate TaxIDs for the 3rd quarter meaning I should still be able to do one more each now (which is how it worked last year) and two more each in mid December for the 4th quarter.
This is an interesting idea I never thought of.

I just went to PayUSA tax and started to try this, but stopped after reading the statement in red saying, "If this is a joint account, please use the primary taxpayer's SSAN".

Two questions, do you file married filing jointly or married filing separately?

Do you have two separate IRS online accounts for both yourself and your wife?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:20 pm

Same thing happened on me. Made a purchased in person at Walmart supercenter and only got 1x.
I hope Chase can figure this out.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
It is not unusual for transactions posted late in the billing cycle to not receive bonus points until the next statement. It appears Chase closes bonus tracking a few days before statements are generated.
Any idea if it show in my UR earnings section of the UR portal? I've never personally seen this happen in my almost decade with Chase.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by Chris58
This is an interesting idea I never thought of.

I just went to PayUSA tax and started to try this, but stopped after reading the statement in red saying, "If this is a joint account, please use the primary taxpayer's SSAN".

Two questions, do you file married filing jointly or married filing separately?

Do you have two separate IRS online accounts for both yourself and your wife?
We file married filing jointly. We do have two separate IRS online accounts to check the posting of payments. I have been doing this for multiple years; first with pay1040.com and the last two years with PayUSAtax (to get the Chase Bonus and also because it is now cheaper than Pay1040). Pay1040 actually asks for both tax IDs but PayUSAtax does not.

I just ignore the warning as the IRS has been able to properly apply the payments.

I am a bit surprised that my attempts have failed after two with different tax IDs this time as I don't see how PayUSAtax even has any data connecting our two tax IDs. I doubt they have some kind of API with the IRS to screen this out but who knows. In any case I will now be waiting until Dec 15 to try again but will also assume that only two more attempts will work.. Might have to do some shopping at Walmart.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Yes. I shopped at Walmart on Sat 10/3 and my statement closed last night (with the Walmart charge the only charge on my statement). Only got 1x points. I've sent Chase a SM to see if they can credit me, but it does look like something is awry.

Edit: Sunday 10/3
Update: I guess if you happen to have a WM SC that codes as groceries (even though it's Walmart), it's going to be a battle to get points. I got mine but don't want to go through this each and every time.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:55 am

Update: I guess if you happen to have a WM SC that codes as groceries (even though it's Walmart), it's going to be a battle to get points. I got mine but don't want to go through this each and every time.
Same exact thing for me. They finally deposited the points into my account via sending a secure message, having them send me an unsatisfactory reply, and me replying to that. In the end, I did get my 4040 points I was owed.

I hope they figure this out and fix it. I've never, EVER had this issue over 5+ years with Chase and have definitely shopped at this exact Walmart with no problems in the past. This is annoying as I still have my Freedom and my wife's Flex to max out.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:11 am

How do you tell in advance if it's an SC? Just the fact that they have a grocery section ?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:41 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
How do you tell in advance if it's an SC?
I would look here: https://www.walmart.com/store/directory
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mia
Disagree. I actually made the same exact purchase three times in the same exact store. One coded for 5x and two coded for 1x. The difference was the registers used yet both were in the same bank of self-checkout registers. Thus, one would have no idea how the purchase is going to code until it's all said and done.

Chase really needs to work this out as the T&Cs specifically explain that Walmart purchases "include Walmart Discount Stores, Walmart SuperCenters, Walmart Neighborhood Markets, www.walmart.com, Walmart branded gas stations operated by Walmart, any other Walmart branded retail stores operated by Walmart and purchases made with Walmart Pay," yet this is clearly not the case as myself and others are currently experiencing.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
We file married filing jointly. We do have two separate IRS online accounts to check the posting of payments. I have been doing this for multiple years; first with pay1040.com and the last two years with PayUSAtax (to get the Chase Bonus and also because it is now cheaper than Pay1040). Pay1040 actually asks for both tax IDs but PayUSAtax does not.

I just ignore the warning as the IRS has been able to properly apply the payments.

I am a bit surprised that my attempts have failed after two with different tax IDs this time as I don't see how PayUSAtax even has any data connecting our two tax IDs. I doubt they have some kind of API with the IRS to screen this out but who knows. In any case I will now be waiting until Dec 15 to try again but will also assume that only two more attempts will work.. Might have to do some shopping at Walmart.
Last time they had a paypal 5x I made 4 payments with payusa tax with myself as the primary and my P2 as the primary on the other 2. We file jointly but it was a big hassle to get them to apply the payments posted to her account to my account and I don't think I'm going to do it again.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by lkar
Last time they had a paypal 5x I made 4 payments with payusa tax with myself as the primary and my P2 as the primary on the other 2. We file jointly but it was a big hassle to get them to apply the payments posted to her account to my account and I don't think I'm going to do it again.
Interesting. Definitely not a hassle for me in the past. Since I have already started again this year I will go forward in December. I will post back here in the spring if I run into problems this year.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by Daftryan
Disagree. I actually made the same exact purchase three times in the same exact store. One coded for 5x and two coded for 1x. The difference was the registers used yet both were in the same bank of self-checkout registers. Thus, one would have no idea how the purchase is going to code until it's all said and done.
That was what I experienced. Same self check out area in the same store, just different registers. Perhaps next time I will note which register I used, then look at the receipts.

I wonder what would happen when grocery is a quarterly bonus category. Will I get 5x through the "grocery register" at Walmart?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by EdofFX
That was what I experienced. Same self check out area in the same store, just different registers. Perhaps next time I will note which register I used, then look at the receipts.

I wonder what would happen when grocery is a quarterly bonus category. Will I get 5x through the "grocery register" at Walmart?
You can bet in a case like that, Chase has some drone scrutinizing all Walmart charges to make sure nobody is getting "unearned" points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.