Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Preferred & Freedom Unlimited Setup

Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi all!

I'm new here and this is my first post, so please excuse the noob question

I'm completely new to the cards/points game, so I was wondering if the CSP & the CFU is a good setup? I've had the CFU for about a year and have been slowly accumulating UR points. I plan to travel extensively after I graduate, so I thought it would be good idea to now start banking as many UR points as I can. I saw the 100,000 UR bonus offer for the CSP so I applied and was approved!

I'm tying to maximize my UR point accumulation, and from what I calculate, which could be completely wrong lol, it seems after I hit the $4,000 spending requirement I should switch back to my CFU card for monthly spending. Does that seem correct to everyone? Please correct if I am wrong, but doesn't the 1.5x points on everyday purchases on the CFU outweigh the 10% yearly point bonus on the CSP? Am I going on the right direction or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help! Really looking forward to traveling like you all one day!
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:52 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RNinProgress
.... doesn't the 1.5x points on everyday purchases on the CFU outweigh the 10% yearly point bonus on the CSP?
Welcome to Flyertalk. the 10% bonus means Sapphire Preferred earns 1.1 point per dollar versus Freedom Unlimited's 1.5, however Sapphire Preferred earns more when paying for Travel, Online Groceries, some Streaming services and at Restaurants. To maximize earnings you should use Sapphire Preferred in those categories, and Freedom Unlimited only in non-bonus categories.
philemer and GTITAN like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk. the 10% bonus means Sapphire Preferred earns 1.1 point per dollar versus Freedom Unlimited's 1.5, however Sapphire Preferred earns more when paying for Travel, Online Groceries, some Streaming services and at Restaurants. To maximize earnings you should use Sapphire Preferred in those categories, and Freedom Unlimited only in non-bonus categories.
Thanks! Got it, ok that makes sense. Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:59 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I'm completely new to the cards/points game, so I was wondering if the CSP & the CFU is a good setup? I've had the CFU for about a year and have been slowly accumulating UR points. I plan to travel extensively after I graduate, so I thought it would be good idea to now start banking as many UR points as I can. I saw the 100,000 UR bonus offer for the CSP so I applied and was approved!
Thats a fine duo. If you are interested in UR, I also suggest you consider the Chase Freedom Flex and the Chase Ink Cash.
RNinProgress likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Thats a fine duo. If you are interested in UR, I also suggest you consider the Chase Freedom Flex and the Chase Ink Cash.
Thanks for the help. I was looking at the Freedom Flex, maybe it's something I should consider picking up too. Unfortunately I don't own a business so the Ink Cash is out
Old Sep 7, 2021, 7:25 pm

You might not own a business but you probably own a "business", as do countless other holders of business cards here and on other travel sites.
RNinProgress likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:15 am

Just got approved for the Preferred card. I already have the Freedom Flex card.

I see I can transfer points between them. So, I guess my next step is to transfer Flex points to the the Preferred points total. Or Visa-Versa? Does it make a difference?
Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:25 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
.... transfer Flex points to the the Preferred points total. Or Visa-Versa? Does it make a difference?
Moving points from one card to another is called Combining. If you want to Transfer points from Chase to an airline or hotel program you need to Combine points from the Flex card to the Sapphire card, because Flex does not allow Transfers to airlines or hotels.

Read here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...solidated.html
Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
Just got approved for the Preferred card. I already have the Freedom Flex card.

I see I can transfer points between them. So, I guess my next step is to transfer Flex points to the the Preferred points total. Or Visa-Versa? Does it make a difference?
FF is a cash card (even earning UR). So your reward will be limited to what is typically available to Freedom cards, i.e. cash-based reward. CSP is a travel card. So its rewards is more extensive.

Now you know where you should transfer from and to.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
FF is a cash card (even earning UR). So your reward will be limited to what is typically available to Freedom cards, i.e. cash-based reward. CSP is a travel card. So its rewards is more extensive.

Now you know where you should transfer from and to.
Originally Posted by mia
Moving points from one card to another is called Combining. If you want to Transfer points from Chase to an airline or hotel program you need to Combine points from the Flex card to the Sapphire card, because Flex does not allow Transfers to airlines or hotels.

Read here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...solidated.html
Thank you for the information. It's very useful.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
You might not own a business but you probably own a "business", as do countless other holders of business cards here and on other travel sites.
Got it. I'm picking up what you're putting down
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Hi all!
I'm new here and this is my first post, so please excuse the noob question
Welcome to the cards/points game, welcome to Flyertalk and (presuming RNinProgress means youre in nursing school) welcome to healthcare.

Might not own a business but you probably own a "business" cannot be overstated. Many of us have earned and accumulated many many miles and points from business credit cards without ever owning a business. Sell something on eBay, second job and hence a business. Nursing a second career, school is a business expense and thus a business. Work more than one job, work as an independent contractor, its a business. Thinking about another job which will not deduct taxes, independent contractor, a business. Lemonade stand is a business.

There are many blog posts and posts here as to how to apply for a business card when the business is relatively flimsy. Basics are sole proprietor, SSN instead of an EIN, 1 employee, almost any income and expenses numbers.

Business cards can be much more lucrative (for miles and points) than personal cards. Business cards do not count against Chases 5/24 policy so one need not limit the number of business cards they have. (Although Chase business card applications will be denied when over 5/24.) AmEx has a 1 bonus per lifetime (~ 7 years to AmEx) policy which they actively and enthusiastically ignore for business cards, some here have had multiple AmEx business cards each with a very healthy sign-up bonus. And some recurrent AmEx applications do not include a hard pull (of credit history) and thus no hit to the number of inquiries on a credit report.

Specifically for Chase and UR, there are 3 common Chase UR business cards and Chase seems to encourage people to have all 3. Ink Preferred, Ink Cash, Ink Unlimited, some have no annual fee, each has a nice sign-up bonus and may be churnable every couple of years. Bear in mind when a Chase Ink (business card) offer states $750 bonus cash back, it means 75,000 UR points. (which can be redeemed for $750 "cash back" or for many of us "traveling like you all"). UR points from different personal and business credit cards for one person can easily be combined.

Appling for a business card with somewhat vague business credentials is not illegal. The worst that can happen is that they say no (application denied), no one goes to jail for applying for a business credit card when they dont really have a business. Go for it!

(BTW, Ive worked with many a travel nurse, a perfect job niche for mile and points earning.)
WasKnown and RNinProgress like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Welcome to the cards/points game, welcome to Flyertalk and (presuming RNinProgress means youre in nursing school) welcome to healthcare.

Nursing a second career, school is a business expense and thus a business. Work more than one job, work as an independent contractor, its a business. Thinking about another job which will not deduct taxes, independent contractor, a business. Lemonade stand is a business.

(BTW, Ive worked with many a travel nurse, a perfect job niche for mile and points earning.)
Thank you very much for this informative and thorough response, Dr. J! You are correct, just finished my perquisite courses and have applied to several BSN programs starting in January. Looking forward to joining the healthcare field!

Interesting you brought up Nursing as a second career as I'm making a transition from finance. I'll do some research and find what "business" best fits my situation. I'll be sure to search posts on this site. I'm glad you mentioned minimal business revenue is needed as that was my biggest concern. You mentioned AmEx and I really want their Platinum Card. I actually visited their website and was pre-approved for the Platinum with 150,000 bonus offer. I'm going to hold off though as I don't travel enough right now to justify the fee.

Depending on what life has in store when I graduate, becoming a travel nurse is high on the priority list. Thanks again, your post was very helpful!
Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Thank you very much for this informative and thorough response, Dr. J! You are correct, just finished my perquisite courses and have applied to several BSN programs starting in January. Looking forward to joining the healthcare field! I'm making a transition from finance
Youre very welcome. Good luck with the BSN applications. Finance to nursing, congratulations. To me a change from a possibly highly lucrative but minimally socially redeeming career to a much less lucrative but maximally socially redeeming career. Additional kudos for doing so in the middle, actually hopefully closer to the end, of a pandemic.

Prior finance experience should allow excellent insight to a business for business credit card purposes. Advise someone about finance and charge them 20 bucks, its a consulting business . Buy someone lunch and talk about career changes, sounds like a business expense to me !

You mentioned AmEx and I really want their Platinum Card. I actually visited their website and was pre-approved for the Platinum with 150,000 bonus offer. I'm going to hold off though as I don't travel enough right now to justify the fee
Please dont let that be the obstacle. One way of looking at it is that the AF (annual fee) is buying 150,000 points (generally considered to be worth a penny or 2 per point thus $1500-$3000) which can be banked (understanding devaluation risk) for future use and that the travel perks are merely gravy.

I highly suggest the Business plat, vice personal Plat. Personal will count against Chase 5/24, Business will not. Personal (bonus) is once per lifetime (~7 years for AmEx according to many reports), Business can be multiple times per year according to some reports here. I was just approved for my second Business Plat in 6-7 months (fingers crossed for smooth receipt of the second card SUB [sign up bonus]).

You mentioned youre new to this, please understand my writing some basic info. All of this, almost everything we do and discuss here, is based on excellent credit history & scores and paying all credit card balances in full on time. When my personal card balances are high, I pay them in full 1-2 days prior to statement date so the issuer does not report a high balance to the credit bureaus. Business card balances do not get reported.

UR and MR (AmEx Membership Rewards) points do not expire but they do go away if you close all UR or MR cards. Im not a big fan of cards without a healthy SUB but I did get an AmEx Blue Business Plus card several years ago mainly to be able to maintain a MR account despite opening and closing various AmEx Plat and Gold cards. Your CFU card is a keeper, will maintain your UR points and earns 1.5 on everything. (As mia wrote, all UNbonused spend should go on your CFU.) Once youre comfortable with business card applications I suggest the various Ink products. Maybe start with Ink Cash; lower SUB but no AF so a keeper and actually a nice SUB and benefits are not so much travel related, 5x on phone/cable/internet can add up.

Depending on what life has in store when I graduate, becoming a travel nurse is high on the priority list
I dont know about finance but as a nurse the world will be your oyster, a good nurse is always in demand everywhere.

Good luck grasshopper*, keep us posted on your nursing career and your frequent flyer addiction, I mean progress.

(* 1970s TV show Kung Fu)
RNinProgress likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.