Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Chase Sapphire Reserve worth $550?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:22 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Probably need to mention you have to keep 100 grand with them or Merrill but the cash back setup is solid if you have 3 or 4 of them.
Yeah, you need preferred rewards platinum. Worthwhile to move over some investments to BoA to get this setup as the difference there would be negligible. Dave Hanson (I think that's his name?) on YouTube has a lot of coverage on this setup. I think it's pretty great and is probably what I will transition to whenever I get bored/tired of churning SUBs.

Also, there are multiple designs for the customized cash so it's easy to remember which cards are locked into which categories!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I think the rental vehicle insurance is worth $95 on the CSP. Even though the 2x for travel/ dining is crap nowadays. So by that logic, I am paying $55 extra for CSR which is justifiable to me.
However, their peloton credit is a waste for me and I will not be okay with $550 AF. Rather downgrade to CSP and keep it for car rentals only.

Amex Gold is great with 4x on dining + Amex offers. But they have butchered this card lately and increased AF as well. Will be getting rid of it when AF hits.

Tbh, after I cancel AMEX Gold and CSR, what would be my go-to cards? Citi double cash?? Kindda at loss right now... not finding a lot of value in my cards anymore. Race to premium cards has made all cards expensive and full of junk services.
I'm in the same boat as you...going to cancel my Amex Platinum next year when the $695 AF hits and probably will downgrade my CSR to a CSP this year as I don't see value in a $550 AF for a card that has no real benefits besides a $300 airline credit- everything else is duplicative. I need a CSP because of the ability to transfer my UR's to United and Hyatt and the rental car coverage is definitely worth $95 to me.

Other than that...I've been mainly spending on my CFU and Hyatt card. Hyatt has hard some good promos lately and the CFU is solid at 1.5% plus 3% on dining.

Not really sure I want to change to a different card ecosystem as I'm pretty invested with Chase and having too many cards across different point spectrums seems more of a pain than it is worth. I think 2022 may be the year I start downsizing my card base to a few core cards and getting rid of those that give negligible value. Even IHG and Marriott's free night certificates have been getting frustrating to use as many of the hotels I'd stay at are now above the maximum category because of the dynamic pricing. Just very frustrating.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 2:11 am

I'm running into a similar issue as mentioned by previous posters. I think I'll do the following set up and dump the CSR once the $550 AF hits on March 2022.

1. Ink Business Preferred - 3x travel/internet/phone/car rental
2. Ritz Carlton - PP, $300 incidental travel credit, free 50k night, Global Entry
3. Freedom Unlimited - 3x Dining, catch all card
4. Citi Custom - 5x gas
5. Hyatt - 2x Everything. I'll use it for groceries.

Last edited by sleepy3192; Jul 27, 2021 at 2:24 am
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by sleepy3192
... Hyatt - 2x Everything. ....
Is that correct?
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Is that correct?
not in my experience. But I wish it were.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Is that correct?
The first 6 months / 15k spend is 2x with the card. After that it's 1x on non category spend.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by sleepy3192
… Hyatt - 2x Everything…
Originally Posted by Kayakj
The first 6 months / 15k spend is 2x with the card.
So it’s part of the SUB, not ongoing spend. Thank you.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:44 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I was going to keep my CSR for the GE credit, but just realized I renewed Precheck a few years ago and burned the credit there. Don't see much value now that I don't use rental cars on regular basis.

Will downgrade to CFU to keep my 3x on dining (biggest expense), use Hyatt card for catch all until I get my 60 nights at Hyatt this year through spend or travel, and open a CSP for SUB and transfer capabilities.

The SUB will more than make up for any loss I would have in travel bookings through Chase portal @1.25c vs 1.5c.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by WasKnown
If you hate annual fees and just want solid return on spends, consider a Bank of America set up (with a Citi Custom Cash thrown in).

Ideally, a 5 card setup would look like this:

Preferred Rewards Platinum 75% bonus

BoA Customized Cash: 5.25% Online Shopping, 3.5% Groceries/Wholesale Clubs
BoA Customized Cash: 5.25% Dining, 3.5% Groceries/Wholesale Clubs
BoA Customized Cash: 5.25% Gas, 3.5% Groceries/Wholesale Clubs
BoA Unlimited Cash Rewards OR BoA Premium Rewards: 2.625% Everything, Premium Rewards- 3.5% Travel
Citi Custom Cash: 5% Groceries

You could get both the Travel Rewards or the Unlimited Cash. Unlimited Cash has no AF but a FTF. The BoA Premium Rewards has a $95 AF, $100 travel incidental credit, Global Entry credit, and no FTF.

You can change the customized cash categories between these: gas, online shopping, dining, travel, drug stores, or home improvement/furnishings. I don't know what you spend your money on and just picked categories that I think would apply to most people. The limit on each customized cash is $2500 per quarter (and $1500 per quarter on the Citi Custom Cash) so it may be worth doubling down on a single category that you spend a lot on.

I think this is the best cashback setup on the market rn.
Actually, if you have Platinum Honors status with Bank of America, the AAA Visa Rewards card is better then the premium rewards because it offers 5.25% on Select Travel 3.5% on Gas, grocery stores, Drugstores, and Wholesale clubs with no caps on the 5.25% and 3.5% categories and 0% FTFs and no annual fee. The only way the premium rewards is better is if you do a lot of dining or have travel purchases outside of their travel categories which are much broader on the Premium Rewards. Of course there is nothing stopping you from having both. The points are combinable with the Premium Rewards points and the Travel Rewards points.

They define select travel as "Eligible travel merchants include: (a) Airlines (individual major airline carriers, Airlines/Air Carriers); (b) Car Rental Agencies (individual major agencies and Automobile Rental Agencies); (c) Hotels, Motels, Inns and Resorts (individual major hotel/motel chains and Hotels/Motels/Resorts); (d) Steamship/Cruise Lines; (e) Travel Agencies; and (f) Rail Transactions (representing Commuter Transport/Ferries & Passenger Railways)and AAA purchases, "

Last edited by Joe1690; Aug 3, 2021 at 9:35 pm
Old Aug 7, 2021, 10:34 pm

My annual fee was just charged (1 August) and it was $450 (just $450, not $550 and a $100 credit) rather than the $550 I was expecting. I'm not complaining of course, but I'm surprised. Did this happen to anyone else?

Last edited by Daneel; Aug 7, 2021 at 11:03 pm
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Daneel
My annual fee was just charged and it was $450 (just $450, not $550 and a $100 credit) rather than the $550 I was expecting. I'm not complaining of course, but I'm surprised. Did this happen to anyone else?
Did you get a letter notifying you that your next annual fee was going to be $550? I might be wrong but I think the increase to $550 was pushed off to 2022. My spouse got a letter that his annual fee in 2/2022 would go up to $550. Will most likely downgrade unless something changes to make it worthwhile to keep (or they give retention offer).
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Did you get a letter notifying you that your next annual fee was going to be $550? I might be wrong but I think the increase to $550 was pushed off to 2022. My spouse got a letter that his annual fee in 2/2022 would go up to $550. Will most likely downgrade unless something changes to make it worthwhile to keep (or they give retention offer).
I think I did get a letter saying it would be $550 this time, but I threw it out so I can't check.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yeah, I think the new fees are in the 2022 calendar year. Mine comes around 2/1/22
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
yeah, I checked my letter, since someone else says they noted theirs was for 2022. Mine clearly says 2021. My fee charges Oct. 1 though - not sure if there is a hard date where the change happens in 21 vs. 22 (but obviously, they have delayed this already). If anyone has Oct. renewal and their letter says 22, please report, would love to know.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
Nope. My CSR renewal is 9/1/21. They have sent an email outlining the new fee and what I can do if I want to cancel. No hint it will be delayed. The fee is 550.00.

Then today I received via USPS a summary of all the benefits I have received from my CSR over the last year.

I will be cancelling as I no longer think I will receive enough value. Nice while it lasted...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.