Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Chase Sapphire Reserve worth $550?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Is there a consensus on the best downgrade option? I currently have CSR, Freedom Unlimited, and Bonvoy Boundless. Want to keep earning UR points (and not lose any of my 400k that I’ve accrued).
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by mrkymark
For me it doesnt make sense... it works out to $183 to keep it that long to potentially get $300 back.
How does that not make sense? You keep the card, including all of its benefits, for an additional 3 months AND get paid $117 to do it. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yea, for sure no prior notice of annual fee being charged this year on my statements.
[...]
I did get a letter (that I can't find) like maybe 4-5 months ago that may have mentioned the annual fee bump- honestly can't remember. But again that was months ago - so maybe they are considering that as proper notice. [...]
That describes my situation, complete with the vague recollection of a paper letter months ago.
[...checks file cabinet...]
Apparently, I actually put the letter in the correct file, rather than the circular one. In early July, I received an undated paper letter from Chase telling me that my SR annual fee would increase to $550 and would be billed in September. I was warned.
Originally Posted by pallhedge
[...] You keep the card, including all of its benefits, for an additional 3 months AND get paid $117 to do it. [...]
And that describes my situation (except I'll hold the card a bit longer). I have some trips planned, so I'll keep the card and its benefits, use the travel credit, and PC next year. Thanks for the affirmation that it's a reasonable strategy.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Is there a consensus on the best downgrade option? I currently have CSR, Freedom Unlimited, and Bonvoy Boundless. Want to keep earning UR points (and not lose any of my 400k that I’ve accrued).
Chase Freedom Flex would be a good option since it offers rotating 5% categories and has no annual fee.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
Here's how to do it. Use Ultimate Rewards Points (0.015) to pay $250 = 16,666 points.
Pay remaining $300 in cash.
Get $300 back as travel/annual credit.
So net cost is $166 for points used.
No real change in net cost.
Keep the card.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Duke5150
Here's how to do it. Use Ultimate Rewards Points (0.015) to pay $250 = 16,666 points.
Pay remaining $300 in cash.
Get $300 back as travel/annual credit.
So net cost is $166 for points used.
No real change in net cost.
Keep the card.
And PYB the $300 at 1.5x = 20,000 points
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by pallhedge
How does that not make sense? You keep the card, including all of its benefits, for an additional 3 months AND get paid $117 to do it. Makes perfect sense to me.
Let's help you make sense of it:
I'd rather downgrade to CFF, apply for CSP and get 100K than play this game of refund and reimbursement to get a whopping $117.
I was clear in my post that it doesn't make sense in my own personal calculation and (non) use of CSR bennies.
YMMV and I personally don't know how long CSP 100K SUB will last.

Originally Posted by serpens
And that describes my situation (except I'll hold the card a bit longer). I have some trips planned, so I'll keep the card and its benefits, use the travel credit, and PC next year. Thanks for the affirmation that it's a reasonable strategy.
Yeah, I mean if you still have trips planned and will make use of the Priority Pass, Peloton, GE, PYB, etc then I would keep it too. But I've already maxed out on what I have wanted and am unlikely to utilize any of the other bennies to justify procrastinating on getting the CSP. But in your case keeping it a little longer may make sense for you. Weight that with a lower potential SUB for the CSP in DEC/JAN however. It's a gamble but what if maybe Chase has an even higher bonus in mind for CSP and CSR in DEC/JAN - that would make it super sweet to wait.

Last edited by mrkymark; Sep 3, 2021 at 8:44 pm
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

[...] But I've already maxed out on what I have wanted and am unlikely to utilize any of the other bennies to justify procrastinating on getting the CSP. But in your case keeping it a little longer may make sense for you. Weight that with a lower potential SUB for the CSP in DEC/JAN however. [...]
I didn't mean to imply that my strategy was good for you, and I hope you didn't take it that way. I think my SR will go away, and the question is when. What pallhedge described fit my situation fairly well.

For other reasons, I expect not to apply for SP for at least another year, so the (tempting current) SUB isn't (quite) a consideration. But you have given me (slight) hope that there will be a good SUB when the time comes.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:09 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
For other reasons, I expect not to apply for SP for at least another year, so the (tempting current) SUB isn't (quite) a consideration. But you have given me (slight) hope that there will be a good SUB when the time comes.
Any reason why? I don’t think the current CSP SUB train will last forever (and it has already started getting slightly worse).
Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Any reason why?
Timing. My travel partner just got SP and I want to stagger the sign-up dates.

Now I hope I haven't jinxed sign-up bonuses for the next four years.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Now I hope I haven't jinxed sign-up bonuses for the next four years.
Maybe it’ll end up working out. SUBs are impossible to predict. Back in June, many people didn’t expect the Amex Plat offers to get much better. Now there’s a 125K + 15x public offer.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Back in June, many people didn’t expect the Amex Plat offers to get much better. Now there’s a 125K + 15x public offer.
Thanks for mentioning that. Long ago, I decided to focus on Chase. Maybe I need to reconsider that exclusivity decision.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
I just recently got charged for the new $550 for the CSR. Between the increase in fee, the reduction in used benefits (Lyft Pink and DoorDash have been disappointing, and the best lounge I regularly would be entitled to is the Minute Suites PHL), and the fact that CSP is pretty compelling, I’m likely going to bail on this.

I have the Chase Freedom (oldest card) and a CFU. I also have the WoH card, and I think I’m at 2/24.

1. Would it be worth the product change to Freedom Flex?
2. Are there better Chase Options in the short term?
3. I’m thinking the CSP especially with the SUB is compelling; would there be a reason that I’d be wrong on this (assuming I’m willing to pay the $95 charge)?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2021, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by gmax58
1. Would it be worth the product change to Freedom Flex?
2. Are there better Chase Options in the short term?
3. I’m thinking the CSP especially with the SUB is compelling; would there be a reason that I’d be wrong on this (assuming I’m willing to pay the $95 charge)?

Thanks!
1) As you already have a CFU and an old Freedom, a CFF might be worthwhile for you to increase your quarterly 5x cap.
2) Better options to product change to? Personally, I think the CFF is the best option. For SUBs? Probably not. The CSP is the most attractive SUB rn in my book. For the long run benefits? Maybe. Looks like you already have the Hyatt card. Cards from United and IHG might be more worthwhile in the long run. However, at 2/24, you might as well pick up the CSP first.
3) Sounds like a good fit for you. Be sure to apply in branch to get your first AF waived.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gmax58
(Lyft Pink and DoorDash have been disappointing,
I'm going to really miss the Lyft Pink. Combined with the 10x points and 15% discount, I have saved a decent bit on my rides. Probably not enough to justify a $20 a month membership in perpetuity, but I probably saved close to that amount each month with the included membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.