Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Chase Sapphire Reserve worth $550?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2021, 3:53 pm

Chase has confused me with the AF and the Reserve card. My annual credits just reset. So I know I'm at renewal, but my annual fee will not post till December. Why is that, and when does one ask for retention offers on this card? Now or when the AF actually post? That is the confusing part for me.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by diverg
Chase has confused me with the AF and the Reserve card. My annual credits just reset. So I know I'm at renewal, but my annual fee will not post till December. Why is that, and when does one ask for retention offers on this card? Now or when the AF actually post? That is the confusing part for me.
It sounds to me like you upgraded to CSR from some other Chase card. That usually results in a delayed AF.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
It sounds to me like you upgraded to CSR from some other Chase card. That usually results in a delayed AF.
Yes, I started with the CSP in May 2018, and upgraded in August 2019. So when do I call to try to get a retention offer? Now or when my AF posts in December?
Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
My AF hits in mid-Dec. Here's what I'm thinking: if the $60 for DoorDash becomes a 2022 benefit and the $120 for Peloton digital becomes a permanent, annual benefit, I'll definitely renew in December 2021 for $550. If not and 2022 does not look to be even a moderate travel year (so no need for Club access and no need to renew Global Entry), CSR renewal will be very hard to justify. At that point, a 2022 PYB extension through 2022 would pique my interest, especially if 2022 seems to be light on flights.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by diverg
Yes, I started with the CSP in May 2018, and upgraded in August 2019. So when do I call to try to get a retention offer? Now or when my AF posts in December?
It's up to you. Whenever you plan to cancel the card. Just make sure you use up your $300 travel credit first. If there are any other benefits you plan on using between now and December, then wait until then.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
So what happens after the annual fee hits and you downgrade to a CFF with 30 days of your CSR annual fee hitting?
Does Chase charge you for those first 30 days of CSR membership?
Old Aug 29, 2021, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by mrkymark
So what happens after the annual fee hits and you downgrade to a CFF with 30 days of your CSR annual fee hitting?
No, the entire annual fee is refunded.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:01 pm

No, the entire annual fee is refunded.
Oh nice, thank you.
I still needed Priority Pass for one more trip in Sept and it renews 9/1 so was just wondering if I needed to downgrade to CFF before that.
Guess not!
I'll see what the annual fee is: 450 or 550 for the 9/1 folks but even at 450, not sure if I will keep it if I can get 100K with a CSP.
I really did keep my charter CSR for all this time though, been loyal until they kind of abandoned it.
I just dont use enough of the supposed bennies to make anything of the effective annual fee. Will miss you CSR.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 6:43 am

I'll see what the annual fee is: 450 or 550 for the 9/1 folk...
It's no mystery. Your last pdf statement will tell you what you will be billed ($450 or $550) on 9/1.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:07 pm

It's no mystery. Your last pdf statement will tell you what you will be billed ($450 or $550) on 9/1.
Yeah I know what you're talking about.
Credit Card companies have to notify you of annual fee before they charge it.

For example:
YOUR ACCOUNT MESSAGES
"We hope you enjoy all the benefits your card has to offer and we appreciate your business. Your annual membership fee in the amount of $xxx.00 will be billed on xx/xx/20xx"

But honestly this year no mention of any kind of verbage like that on any of my recent CSR statements and my AF renews on 9/1 (tomm)
So for me it is a mystery... Ill let you know how it turns out. (and yes, I've looked at Aug, Jul, and Jun CSR statements.)
Old Sep 1, 2021, 10:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

But honestly this year no mention of any kind of verbage like that on any of my recent CSR statements and my AF renews on 9/1
Same here. Maybe we get a year for free?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Similar Q... 12/1 is when my Travel Credit resets, but 1/1 is when my annual fee hits. Planning to downgrade to another card (whichever lets me keep earning URs), imagine I should plan to spend my $300 quickly then request downgrade on 12/29 or so?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Similar Q... 12/1 is when my Travel Credit resets, but 1/1 is when my annual fee hits. Planning to downgrade to another card (whichever lets me keep earning URs), imagine I should plan to spend my $300 quickly then request downgrade on 12/29 or so?
For me it doesnt make sense in my case since my AF hit 9/1. While I get a pro-rated AF back on 12/29 I still pay an AF for the privilege of a CSR for SEP/OCT/NOV/DEC. At four months of CSR membership it works out to $183 to keep it that long to potentially get $300 back.

But for you, yes, as soon as 12/1 hits, spend your 300. Statement credits have historically posted super quick so as soon as you do your DEC spending and see the credits online, you would downgrade when everything is posted. You really have 30 days post AF posting to downgrade and avoid the 550 hit so you should be good actually for awhile if you wanted to wait too.

Originally Posted by serpens
Same here. Maybe we get a year for free?
Ha, fat chance, 9/1 AF hit for me, 550 for a charter member. Downgrade will most likely happen soon to CFF. Bummer I thought they were going to reward folks that stuck with them.
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... no mention of any kind of verbiage like that on any of my recent CSR statements ....
....my AF hit 9/1......
In my understanding that advance notice is a legal requirement. If you are certain that it was not on last month's statement it may be worth calling.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
In my understanding that advance notice is a legal requirement. If you are certain that it was not on last month's statement it may be worth calling.
Yea, for sure no prior notice of annual fee being charged this year on my statements.

I'm not the only one though, I think it has been a systemic problem with most CSR cardholders lately - maybe they messed up the system with the whole AF bump.

I did get a letter (that I can't find) like maybe 4-5 months ago that may have mentioned the annual fee bump- honestly can't remember. But again that was months ago - so maybe they are considering that as proper notice. No evidence of the letter in my online account archive tho. But if they did send the letter, I think they fulfilled the legal requirement?

Just unusual that they don't mention it again in Account Messages as they usually do..

Last edited by mrkymark; Sep 2, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.