Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire Reserve Lyft Pink benefit ending?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Sapphire Reserve Lyft Pink benefit ending?

Not in this forum much, didn't see a thread from searching which matched this Q:

I got a note that the Lyft Pink benefit is going away after 2.5yrs on my Sapphire Reserve. Combined with the $100 annual fee increase, are there new benefits being added to offset the lost of benefit and increased cost? I've tried looking for anything but this looks like a double-hit in the same year.
Negma likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Not in this forum much, didn't see a thread from searching which matched this Q:

I got a note that the Lyft Pink benefit is going away after 2.5yrs on my Sapphire Reserve. Combined with the $100 annual fee increase, are there new benefits being added to offset the lost of benefit and increased cost? I've tried looking for anything but this looks like a double-hit in the same year.
I think the Lyft Pink benefit was always structured as a 12 month benefit that would expire. I think they extended it for 5 months for some users. But it was never advertised as a permanent benefit.

Not sure if they will replace it, but with travel ramping back up, Chase may try to actually collect on that fee increase.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I think the Lyft Pink benefit was always structured as a 12 month benefit that would expire. I think they extended it for 5 months for some users. But it was never advertised as a permanent benefit.
Yes - it was extended for me until June 25, 2021, when it was supposed to expire in Jan 2021. I just checked the Chase website and the 10x points on Lyft goes until March 2022.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:28 pm

For me it was a 12 month deal. Couldn't really take advantage of it given I've been working from home and drive myself locally. Mine expires June 15. I can extend for $19.99 a month. I'll pass since still no major travel for the rest of 2021
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I always knew it was billed as a one-time perk, but I sort of thought that was more an immediate response to Amex Plat's Uber relationship which is on-going, so I expected this to evolve a bit and eventually renew. I wonder how much COVID threw a wrench in renegotiation and if Chase and Lyft couldn't come to terms of what it was worth. I bet Chase probably paid a bunch for it and saw it sit idle on many user accounts for the last year, despite the extension and wanted a significant discount on another renewal.

Losing this will probably cause me to shift spend back to Uber I would say I was at 80/20 before this then it flipped and now it will go back. I find Uber to frequently have more readily available drivers.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 11:03 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adambadam
I always knew it was billed as a one-time perk, but I sort of thought that was more an immediate response to Amex Plat's Uber relationship which is on-going, so I expected this to evolve a bit and eventually renew. I wonder how much COVID threw a wrench in renegotiation and if Chase and Lyft couldn't come to terms of what it was worth. I bet Chase probably paid a bunch for it and saw it sit idle on many user accounts for the last year, despite the extension and wanted a significant discount on another renewal.

Losing this will probably cause me to shift spend back to Uber I would say I was at 80/20 before this then it flipped and now it will go back. I find Uber to frequently have more readily available drivers.
Even without the 15% discount, isn’t Lyft the better deal overall? The 5-10x UR on Lyft + the Hilton and Delta points make it pretty appealing. Overall, I just book whatever is cheapest though.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Even without the 15% discount, isn’t Lyft the better deal overall? The 5-10x UR on Lyft + the Hilton and Delta points make it pretty appealing. Overall, I just book whatever is cheapest though.
In my experience, it just depends on random factors. Pink or no Pink. Sometimes one is better than the other. 10x UR points is definitely a fantastic option to have.
355F1 and WasKnown like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:04 am

Just got an email yesterday to "keep the fun going" and get another 3 months free, after my CSR membership ends on June 13. I set a Google calendar reminder to cancel after the 3 months, but I decided it was worth it.

As others have mentioned, there are times when, even after the 15% Lyft Pink discount, Uber is cheaper and/or more convenient.

I get a Grubhub benefit with the Amex Gold, so having a Grubhub Plus Membership through Lyft Pink has saved some money.

Hopefully others will get a similar offer from Lyft if they wish to continue.
355F1 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Just got an email yesterday to "keep the fun going" and get another 3 months free, after my CSR membership ends on June 13. I set a Google calendar reminder to cancel after the 3 months, but I decided it was worth it.

As others have mentioned, there are times when, even after the 15% Lyft Pink discount, Uber is cheaper and/or more convenient.

I get a Grubhub benefit with the Amex Gold, so having a Grubhub Plus Membership through Lyft Pink has saved some money.

Hopefully others will get a similar offer from Lyft if they wish to continue.
Just got my expiration notice today. No "keep the fun going" option for me. Oh well, like others, I wasn't Lyfting much during the pandemic, but I did like the Grubhub+
Old Jun 11, 2021, 1:39 pm

It's too bad. Chase really did a good job adding benefits to make the $550 annual fee worth keeping the card during the pandemic, but as those short-term benefits start to end (well before I'll be able to resume the full travel benefits of the card), it's losing its value.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by WasKnown
In addition to Lyft Pink ending, Lyft will no longer allow double dipping on rewards after June 30. Currently, you can accrue points on both Hilton and Delta at the same time. After June 30, you have to pick one.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Just got my expiration notice today. No "keep the fun going" option for me. Oh well, like others, I wasn't Lyfting much during the pandemic, but I did like the Grubhub+
I never got the email, but it was in the app itself. Just go into the Lyft Pink section of the app, might have to go into Manage Plan, I don't remember.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was going to let it drop but now I'm actually considering extending it.

I looked at my lyft spend for the past 6 months or so, and it's been saving me about $15/month on average. But travel seems to be picking way up, and I've been seeing some rides costing 2-3 times what they did pre-pandemic, and driver availability going down. So it might turn out to be a net win, at least for the summer travel season.

Allegedly pynk also gets you priority in getting rides, though in the past few months I've had a few times where it told me there were few drivers available and thew wait would be long. Sometimes it's long, sometimes not - has anybody dropped pynk yet and seen their wait time go up? It would be worth the $5/month if it saves on the wait on just a couple rides, but it's not obvious that that's actually happening.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Susurrus
I never got the email, but it was in the app itself. Just go into the Lyft Pink section of the app, might have to go into Manage Plan, I don't remember.
I believe you are correct. When I went to MANAGE PLAN, after accepting their extension, this is what my account showed:

It appears the 3 month offer is completely separate from the initial membership.

Just posting for the potential benefit of others.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I was going to let it drop but now I'm actually considering extending it.

I looked at my lyft spend for the past 6 months or so, and it's been saving me about $15/month on average. But travel seems to be picking way up, and I've been seeing some rides costing 2-3 times what they did pre-pandemic, and driver availability going down. So it might turn out to be a net win, at least for the summer travel season.

Allegedly pynk also gets you priority in getting rides, though in the past few months I've had a few times where it told me there were few drivers available and thew wait would be long. Sometimes it's long, sometimes not - has anybody dropped pynk yet and seen their wait time go up? It would be worth the $5/month if it saves on the wait on just a couple rides, but it's not obvious that that's actually happening.
I just signed up for the first time this week using the CSR benefit, and the benefits listing stated that the priority pickups would be at airports only.

Interesting enough, I also got sent a survey link where they mentioned possibly expanding priority pickup to be a Pink benefit in general, as opposed to airports only...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.