Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cannot use UR points just Combined into account? (same cardholder)

Old Apr 24, 21, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I did a search but not found any related info as described in the thread title.

Today I transferred pts between my husband's own cards - personal to personal, to his CSR as the existing balance was a bit short to redeem the remaining 2 grocery store purchases that just posted yesterday and showed eligible to do PYB.
The points transferred in were 10x of the shortage fwiw.

Also in the Account Activity screen, the transfer activity is there, and the account balance also reflects the new total.

Yet, at the last step to finalize the PYB redemption, the system gave an error message, said unable to finish the transaction - though thru the first 2 steps no indication whatsoever that the point balance was not enough to cover the whole amount.

I dont know whether being weekend makes any difference or the internal system requires overnight update in order to true up the point balance before one can use the transferred points. In the past I always wait till the following day or later to use the transferred in points.

Anyone has similar experiences in this regard?
Old Apr 24, 21, 8:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Bombay Plat, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I can't speak to the exact same experience but, as you mentioned, Chase doesn't really update over the weekends. If this transaction is similar to any other payment transaction, everything will re-set by the next business day, Monday. Good luck.
Old Apr 25, 21, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
I can't speak to the exact same experience but, as you mentioned, Chase doesn't really update over the weekends. If this transaction is similar to any other payment transaction, everything will re-set by the next business day, Monday. Good luck.
I suspect that is the case of being on weekend. Looking back all the past PYBs, none was done on weekend so never encounter similar error. Right now all accounts look normal, with the available credits all intact, if that indicates anything.

As for the weekend only skeleton system in operation - there is a difference between the PYB redemption and making a payment - Chase would accept the payment but not posted it until after the following business day with the original payment date. (Chase even explains such in the small print). In the PYB redemption, the redemption simply does not go thru at all with the usual error message as We cannot process the request at this moment. Please try it later. If the error continues please call us at xxxx.

Will try again on Tuesday (after 1 business day passed). It would be the last PYB (and only a couple hundreds) for a long while from now. Hopefully it would return to normal processing without the need to get manual assistance!
Old Apr 25, 21, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I suspect that is the case of being on weekend. Looking back all the past PYBs, none was done on weekend so never encounter similar error.
Pretty much all my PYB have been done on Saturdays. Pretty much every week, like clockwork. Like yesterday. I also have done transfers from other cards on Saturdays (but not as often). But I have a buffer of UR, i.e., I never needed to actually use the just-transferred points for PYB.
Old Apr 25, 21, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Pretty much all my PYB have been done on Saturdays. Pretty much every week, like clockwork. Like yesterday. I also have done transfers from other cards on Saturdays (but not as often). But I have a buffer of UR, i.e., I never needed to actually use the just-transferred points for PYB.
Do the credit posts on following Monday or Tuesday?

I normally do them in midweek. The credits posted the next day.

Did not intend to have PYB eligible transaction until after Apr 30 but inadvertently had some last Thur which posted surprisingly quick on Fri. UR bal was 3K+ short of the full redemption so I thought why not just transferred pts over and got those redemptions done before the Apr 30 cut off...

Just tried it again and it worked. The credit probably would post on Tue, after one business day passed.
Diplomatico likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 25, 21 at 7:34 pm
Old Apr 25, 21, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Do the credit posts on following Monday or Tuesday?
I don’t know when they appeared online, but my app shows credits dated 4/3, 4/10, and 4/17 (all Saturdays). Yesterday’s credits (4/24) don’t show yet, even in the pending section.

I’lll try to remember to check tomorrow.
Old Apr 26, 21, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As far as I remember, online PYB credit never shows in pending. It always posts a day after redemption dated as the day redemption is made, as in your examples. Right now the credit does not show online. Pretty sure on Tuesday I would see the redemption made on Sunday, with the date as Sunday's date.
Another tidbit - the available credit line would not change, i.e. increase, UNTIL the credit is POSTED in account activity - i.e. finalized in the "true up" process.
Old Apr 26, 21, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So my 4/24 credits showed up today (4/26) online. Coincidentally my CSR statement closed yesterday (4/25) and they are included on the statement (checked the pdf).
Old Apr 27, 21, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The PYB done on Sunday 4/25 shows up online today Tuesday 4/27, with the 4/25 date as expected.
Diplomatico likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: