FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   I'm about to upgrade P2's engagement diamond. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2031983-im-about-upgrade-p2s-engagement-diamond.html)

RNE Jan 6, 2021 12:13 pm

I'm about to upgrade P2's engagement diamond.

I'm a Chase-only cardholder. I'm about to upgrade P2's engagement diamond from 4.05 to 5.64ct. To pay for this frivolous purchase -- an amount rivaling the U.S. GDP (at least it feels that way to me), I plan to use my CFU (in preparation for which, I consolidated most of my Chase CL to that card). Other cards I have are CF, CFF, CSP, CIP. Is the CFU my best choice?

RNE, saying, "Yeah, I'm a keeper."

P.S.: It's my understand that Chase does not "need" to be notified about large purchases; indeed, the automated line confirmed that fact to me a few minutes ago. However, I don't relish Chase's algorithm having a fit when this CL-maxing authorization comes through. Should I look like a rookie and telephone Chase to tell them, or play it cool?

P.P.S.: I don't want to request a CL increase.

EmailKid Jan 6, 2021 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 32944165)
I'm a Chase-only cardholder.

So I'm sending your query to Chase Forum.

I expect this would be for the Statuesque Mrs. RNE :)

mia Jan 6, 2021 6:28 pm

Haven't we already done this? Different jeweler? Freedom Unlimited is clearly the best Chase product to maximize rewards, and the Purchase Protection cap ($500) appears to be the same for Freedom as for Sapphire Preferred. If you had Sapphire Reserve the cap is $10,000 which is still small compared to the size of the purchase.

garykung Jan 7, 2021 3:55 am

Should I look like a rookie and telephone Chase to tell them, or play it cool?

Play it cool. Most likely Chase's Fraud Department is the one stopping you. So you may have to phone-in to confirm transaction anyway.

Duke787 Jan 7, 2021 9:06 am

I didn't call when I did bought Mrs. Duke787's engagement ring a few years back and there were no issues on the Chase side. I would agree CFU is the best card here although, I did consider opening a card with a hefty welcome bonus for hitting spend minimums but I don't think an offers out there warrant you opening up a new CC at this point.

RNE Jan 7, 2021 11:11 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 32945534)
I expect this would be for the Statuesque Mrs. RNE :)

Shhh, don't tell her! :eek: :D

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32945620)
Haven't we already done this? Different jeweler? Freedom Unlimited is clearly the best Chase product to maximize rewards, and the Purchase Protection cap ($500) appears to be the same for Freedom as for Sapphire Preferred. If you had Sapphire Reserve the cap is $10,000 which is still small compared to the size of the purchase.

Good memory. 2017's diamond is 4.05ct (more than a centimeter across! Showy enough for anyone, one would think :rolleyes:). In that diamond's case, the improved clarity and color were what jacked up its price, not so much the carat weight increase. Conversely, 2021's is just ("just"?) a carat increase. Thus not as pricey, but not bupkis either. Jared is the retailer, by the way.

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 32947330)
I did consider opening a card with a hefty welcome bonus for hitting spend minimums but I don't think an offers out there warrant you opening up a new CC at this point.

I'm with you! Unrelated to this planned purchase, P2 opened a CSP* early this week. I plan to put $4000 of the diamond's price on that card. (The arrival date of the card -- and of the diamond itself for that matter -- are unknown**). Then it's off to the sock drawer -- or stocking drawer, as the case may be.*** ;)

RNE, panhandling, "Brother, can you spare a dime?"

*Yeah, she missed the CSP's 80k SUB that I recently got, but 60k is nothing to sneeze at, and because I got a 15k referral bonus, the resultant haul is only 5k shy of 80k by my reckoning.
**The stone is being flown in from some vault in Europe to JFK and then (via some routing) to CAK where a Brinks truck will pick it up and haul it the last few miles. (Apparently it's a cause célèbre among the sales clerks at the store wanting to get a look at a stone requiring that much security.) And then, ironically, it'll be on P2's finger when we walk out to my car with only a wimp like me for security.
***Neither of us have any use for a CSP. We only got them for the SUB.

mia Jan 7, 2021 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 32947715)
... Jared is the retailer...

If I understood correctly, your 2017 solution elegantly bypassed the credit limit issue entirely. Inasmuch as you have moved credit around to make this purchase I suppose it was a different jeweler or same program is not offered now?

drminn Jan 7, 2021 3:33 pm

OT or not?

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32948246)
If I understood correctly, your 2017 solution elegantly bypassed the credit limit issue entirely. Inasmuch as you have moved credit around to make this purchase I suppose it was a different jeweler or same program is not offered now?

I am confused here, is this a different wife?

mia Jan 7, 2021 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by drminn (Post 32948646)
I am confused here, is this a different wife?

I think is the same wife, different stone.

Need Jan 7, 2021 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 32946735)
Play it cool. Most likely Chase's Fraud Department is the one stopping you. So you may have to phone-in to confirm transaction anyway.

Good luck with that. Chase's Fraud department can't even authorize a $2.50 transaction to NOT listed as fraud. I was just trying to buy a candy bar at my work. Called after first fraud. "Can I go buy it now and not listed as fraud?" "Sure"... Nope... tried it 3 times and finally just switch to BoA card.

halamadrid Jan 7, 2021 9:43 pm

Other cards I have are CF, CFF, CSP, CIP. Is the CFU my best choice?

Did you consider opening a Chase Ink Unlimited? Right now you can get 75K bonus on $7.5K spend. The CIU also gives you the same 1.5 UR back as the CFU. You can also refer from any of the Ink Cards to the CIU so if you have the CIP you can have your wife apply with your referral or vice versa if it's the other way around.

comptalk Jan 8, 2021 8:59 am

Prob. best to use an American Express card to at least get some value from this purchase. Better protections from Amex then just about any other card company right now. Make sure you have an appraisal and add it to your HO policy the day of purchasing the carbon.

RNE Jan 8, 2021 10:28 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32948246)

I would have to apply for a Jared credit card which I don't want to do because it would up my 5/24.

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32948677)
I think is the same wife, different stone.

Yes and yes. Though, it may be less expensive to upgrade my wife instead of the stone. j/k ;)

Originally Posted by halamadrid (Post 32949481)
Did you consider opening a Chase Ink Unlimited? Right now you can get 75K bonus on $7.5K spend. The CIU also gives you the same 1.5 UR back as the CFU. You can also refer from any of the Ink Cards to the CIU so if you have the CIP you can have your wife apply with your referral or vice versa if it's the other way around.

Interesting. This clever advice is why I suffer through the usual banality of FlyerTalk. :D

RNE Jan 8, 2021 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid (Post 32949481)

Since P2 had so recently acquired a Chase card (5 days ago) and I had not (two months ago), I decided to apply for the CIU myself (using my own referral link which I know may not result in any bonus since it's a self-referral but was worth a try). Success! I was instantly approved (much to my surprise). Chase gave me a measly $3000 CL (probably because I'm scraping my CL ceiling), so I'll move $4500 CL (probably a little more) from my CIP to my CIU.

RNE, thanking halamadrid.

P.S. Chase isn't going to cancel my card because of the self-referral, is it?

mia Jan 8, 2021 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 32951875)
.... $3000 CL .... I'll move $4500 CL ....

You will split the payment between Freedom Unlimited and INK Unlimited?