Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why does Chase tack hundreds onto new accounts it gives high-thousand CLs?

Old Jan 5, 21, 10:00 am
RNE
Original Poster

Let me explain. P2 and I opened five Chase cards from late 2019 thru early 2021 (this week) and all of them -- count 'em! -- were given multi-thousand dollar credit lines with $300 added on top. Examples: $21,300,17,300 and 12,300.

Stop! Before you tell me, "It didn't happen to me," yes, yes, I know it won't always be the case. But why does it happen at all? Particularly with high-limits? Why not make CL an even $21,000, or 17,000 or 12,000? Why tack on a measly handful of hundreds?

There must be some reason it happens. And it can't be that a CL upper-limit is being reached, not when the odd $300 keeps repeating for us time and again. Any thoughts?

RNE, with too much time on my hands.
Wyfind likes this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
No idea why, but seeing the same thing on a fairly new Freedom Unlimited (16.3k). Much older Freedom is an even 15k.
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 10:18 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
It may signify something internal. Analogous discussion here: https://www.rather-be-shopping.com/b...rice-tag-code/

All of our Chase credit limits are even thousands, except an Amazon card which ends with 900.

Last edited by mia; Jan 5, 21 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 5, 21, 1:32 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Interesting, never thought about it. I have four Chase credit cards: one has limit ending in ,500; the others are ,000.
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Before you tell me, "It didn't happen to me," yes, yes, I know it won't always be the case.
It did happen to me. I like mia's idea that it is some indicator internal to Chase of something. REI does something similar with prices. IIRC, any price ending in $0.97 is not eligible for a member dividend. But with Chase, since the user can get credit lines rebalanced, it would not be a persistent indicator.
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 2:07 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List/CP, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
Because the credit limits are calculated by a formula that takes into account a multitude of factors that the computer then calculates to an accuracy beyond even a penny, and they decided to round the number, and they decided to round it to hundreds of dollars.
sdsearch and xov91 like this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Let me explain. P2 and I opened five Chase cards from late 2019 thru early 2021 (this week) and all of them -- count 'em! -- were given multi-thousand dollar credit lines with $300 added on top. Examples: $21,300,17,300 and 12,300.
I have seven Chase personal cards. One of them, the oldest, has x,200. Going through my old records (yeah, too much time on my hands, but it’s in a spreadsheet) that “200” has been in place for at least seven years. The x has changed over time as I have shifted part of the original 25,200 limit to other cards I use more.

My newest card (from last January) has a multiple of thousands limit.
Old Jan 5, 21, 2:22 pm

All of mine are +$200 so maybe it is some kind of internal code.
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 3:07 pm

Both of mine are +$200 too.
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 3:18 pm

I have 4 cards open and a long-closed 5th, and I have moved limits around so I don't know what the initial assignment was, but I have one that ends in x,131. The only other odd one is x,500, so I am not sure if I had x,631 or something else, but it seems pretty fun to me! I have an Amex that ends in x,200 so Chase is not the only one that doesn't just round to the nearest thousand when into the high amounts.
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
My DW's FU card ends in $x905! Is that weird or what?
Old Jan 5, 21, 5:02 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
Because the credit limits are calculated by a formula that takes into account a multitude of factors that the computer then calculates to an accuracy beyond even a penny, and they decided to round the number, and they decided to round it to hundreds of dollars.
And three calculations over many months just happened to all arrive at $300? Possible but unlikely.
Old Jan 5, 21, 5:36 pm

I have four:

Assigned over a number of years. Internal code? Possible, but unlikely
Old Jan 5, 21, 5:40 pm

It's possible there is some psychology behind it. While only being $300 added risk for chase, it might have been proven internally that the odd numbered credit lines get higher spending or carry higher balances. Banks are funky like this. They will turn around and give everybody and odd numbered credit line hoping to collect more interest if they noticed that odd numbered credit lines were more profitable than even numbered.

I remember hearing something similar about why some banks push bill pay services so hard. Apparently some banks noticed that customers who use bill pay are more profitable. So the bank turns around and paid customers who were not using bill pay to use bill pay via promos (i.e get $15 for paying two bills using our Bill Pay service). Of course it was nonsense, but the banks are funky like this.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by CerealCardSpender; Jan 5, 21 at 5:45 pm
Old Jan 5, 21, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Interesting.... My main two cards are Chase - 1 for personal, 1 for business:

CSR ends in 100
Ink Business Plus ends in 900

Search this Thread
Search Engine: