Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Marriott Bonvoy Cards, 2019 to present

Old Oct 4, 2020, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

Be mindful of the the 5/24 rule for Chase, where 5 or more new credit cards in 24 months can result in an application denial. For up-to-date information, please consult the wiki at Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020-present).

Marriott cards eligibility chart:

https://frequentmiler.com/marriott-card-eligible/

PERSONAL CARD
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa card
https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...nvoy/boundless

100K points for making $3,000 in purchases within 3 months of opening the card. $95 annual fee, not waived the first year. 6x at Marriott, 3x on grocery/gas/dining (up to $6K/year), 2x on travel and everything else.

BUSINESS CARDS
Business card now issued by AMEX. https://creditcard.americanexpress.c...nvoy-business/

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

I already have a Marriott Rewards card (but not the Rewards Premier card) and have not gotten a Marriott Rewards bonus in over 24 months.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

I answered my own question by calling Chase. The CSR said the 100k welcome bonus is not available to existing cardholders. So, I'm going to close my Marriott Rewards card and apply for a new one that has the 100k welcome bonus
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Long Islander
I answered my own question by calling Chase. The CSR said the 100k welcome bonus is not available to existing cardholders. So, I'm going to close my Marriott Rewards card and apply for a new one that has the 100k welcome bonus
Don't you have to wait a minimum time period before you can apply for a new Marriott Rewards card and get the welcome bonus?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:26 am
Original Poster

I know that for Amex Bonvoy cards you have to wait 30 days. Is there a waiting period for Chase?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:28 pm

From the following statement, are they saying if I have the amex spg business card and havn't received the bonus in over 24 months, I will be able to get the bonus? That's what it sounds like to me, but can't tell if they are wording things to confuse me(which they obviously are).

"are a current or previous cardmember of either Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM American Express® Card (also known as The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express) or Marriott Bonvoy BrilliantTM American Express® Card (also known as the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card), and received a new cardmember bonus or upgrade bonus in the last 24 months"
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

What they are saying is that you have to have not had an Amex SPG card within the last 30 days AND you have to have NOT received a Marriott bonus within the last 24months AND you have to not be a current Marriott card holder.

Note that I got turned down for a new Marriott card because Chase had me down as a current Marriott card holder even though I closed my account 5 days prior to opening a new account. I should have waited longer.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Hey all,

So last year at this time I "upgraded" from the old Chase Marriott Card to the new version that they created post-merger (but before Bonvoy), after being offered a 50,000 points incentive. My original account anniversary date was in June -- and both my annual fee and free night used to show up at the same time. This year, my annual fee posts in March but the free night is nowhere to be seen. I called Chase customer service, and they said that the annual fee now appears in March (according to when I "upgraded") but the account anniversary (when the free night posts) remains June. Has anyone else seen anything similar happen? Should Chase align the annual fee and account anniversary on their end? Am I just stuck with this? It seems odd that the account anniversary and the annual fee dates are now different, though I can sure see how Chase is cool with it. Thanks for your advice/data points.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Angry marriott bonvoy card does NOT REQUIRE ACTIVATION

Just received card with a fairly high credit limit - no sticker to call to activate. Card is contactless (so no signature required - even tho nobody actually ever checked those). No email notification that it had been sent.

So - if it was delivered incorrectly anyone could use it without my knowledge and I wouldn't even know until I got a bill! Yes I know I wouldn't be responsible but it seems a stupid lack of security (I actually had to go through a 6 step verification by the fraud department when I called just to learn how I could add it to my online access - way more security than was required to use the card!) Seems really inept to me.

This is the Chase card.

Last edited by estnet; Apr 20, 2019 at 5:17 am
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Is the card issued by American Express or by Chase?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:17 am

Sorry Chase
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Request for advice

I rarely stay at Marriott properties. (Last time was 2015; last time in US was 2012.) However, I have a $2,100 stay at a Marriott coming up later this year, and I'm wondering whether to get a Marriott co-brand credit card to get the sign-up points as well as the points for the stay. I recognize that I would need to wait until a couple of months before my stay, and the sign-up offers will likely have changed. My normal chains are Hilton, IHG, and Hyatt, approximately in that order. (Hyatt would first if it had a footprint that matched either Hilton or IHG.) I have never had a Marriott co-brand card (and I have co-brand cards for Hilton, IHG, and Hyatt, if that matters). I stayed or plan to stay an average of 61 nights per year in those three chain in 2017 through 2019, mainly outside of large metropolitan areas, and that pattern will probably continue.

If I got a Marriott co-brand credit card, I would stay at Marriott properties more often, although still infrequently (probably a maximum of twice per year, one of which would be the free night from the credit card). I've read comments disparaging of Marriott in comparison to Hilton, both related to IT and points devaluation.

There is an opportunity here, but I wonder if it's worth it. I think the question comes down to, in 60 hotel nights per year, am I likely to find enough deals at Marriott properties to make it worth getting another credit card and joining another hotel program, or would I just be diluting my points accumulations? I welcome other interpretations of my quandary. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:06 am
mia

I would not apply for a Bonvoy card because of a single Marriott stay, nor would I stay at Marriott properties just because I had a Bonvoy card. You can set your Bonvoy account to earn airline miles instead of points, pay with a general purpose card that earns (say) three points per dollar in travel category, and think about something more important.

Last edited by mia; Apr 20, 2019 at 11:16 am
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by estnet
Just received card with a fairly high credit limit - no sticker to call to activate. Card is contactless (so no signature required - even tho nobody actually ever checked those). No email notification that it had been sent.

So - if it was delivered incorrectly anyone could use it without my knowledge and I wouldn't even know until I got a bill! Yes I know I wouldn't be responsible but it seems a stupid lack of security (I actually had to go through a 6 step verification by the fraud department when I called just to learn how I could add it to my online access - way more security than was required to use the card!) Seems really inept to me.
Signature isn't exactly all that common of an ask even if you insert or swipe. I wonder how common mail theft actually is, especially since doing so results in federal charges if caught.

Also, I thought I remember seeing something on the insert that came with the card about activation but it's been a bit since I got a higher AF Chase card in the mail. Might be a good idea to activate anyway since some issuers do only allow smaller/a certain number through without doing so.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Signature isn't exactly all that common of an ask even if you insert or swipe. I wonder how common mail theft actually is, especially since doing so results in federal charges if caught.

Also, I thought I remember seeing something on the insert that came with the card about activation but it's been a bit since I got a higher AF Chase card in the mail. Might be a good idea to activate anyway since some issuers do only allow smaller/a certain number through without doing so.
Really too bad this got merged, but card DOES NOT REQUIRE ACTIVATION and rep told me they haven't for years ?!?
I'm not worried so much about mail theft it's all the mail I got that is misdelivered either to me for someone else (maybe 2 letters stuck together in carriers bag) or for me delivered to a neighbor. I ACTUALLY HAD A CREDIT CARD DELIVERED TO MY NEIGHBOR - but luckily she was honest and gave it to me.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:23 pm
mia

Originally Posted by estnet
.....card DOES NOT REQUIRE ACTIVATION and rep told me they haven't for years ?....
Correct, even cards with a sticker asking you to activate it can be used without activation. Issuers know so much about us that they think they can judge if the initial uses of the card fit the applicant's pattern. Sorry, this 2016 explanation is from American Express rather than Chase:

“All American Express cards are flagged as pending confirmation of card receipt when a card is mailed. We strongly recommend Card Members confirm receipt when the card arrives to help verify their identity and mitigate against fraud,” a spokesperson for American Express said in an email. “However, because of our relationship with our Card Members, we are able to selectively approve charges that we evaluate to be of very low risk, even if the card receipt has not yet been confirmed. For example, if a Card Member receives their new card, puts it into their wallet and proceeds to use it at their local coffee shop they frequent, we might be able to approve the transaction.”
https://blog.credit.com/2016/04/what...t-card-140469/

Eliminating the sticker and formal activation simply brings policy into closer alignment with practice.

Last edited by mia; Apr 20, 2019 at 3:46 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.