Advice on cycling WOH card?

Old Sep 8, 20, 10:37 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 24
Advice on cycling WOH card?

FT Community - We usually put our business spend on the Ink Unlimited. In chasing Globalist status on the WOH card, we plan to move $80k in spend over to the WOH going forward, which should realistically take about two months.

After consolidating some credit over to WOH, we landed at a total credit limit of $10k. Staying under $10k per cycle would take us 8 months/cycles to hit $80k.

Is there a good way to go about hitting $80k in the next 1-2 months while avoiding shutdown/adverse action by Chase? Pre-paying $40k per month and then spending on the card? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
maddyperrier68 is offline  
Old Sep 9, 20, 6:57 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,524
Originally Posted by maddyperrier68 View Post
Any suggestions?
Yes, take your time doing this. $10k CL is gonna make it tough. Cycling credit as you suggest might not just get your WoH card closed, Chase could shut down their entire banking relationship with you. It's not worth it.

If it were me, I'd spend no more than 75% of my CL each month. Once or twice over the spending period, I'd pay down the balance mid-month to spend more. I would not cycle the CL every month and I certainly wouldn't do it more than once during any statement period. If you're lucky, Chase might increase your CL with this new level of spending.
pallhedge is offline  
Old Sep 9, 20, 7:19 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,171
Originally Posted by pallhedge View Post
Yes, take your time doing this. $10k CL is gonna make it tough. Cycling credit as you suggest might not just get your WoH card closed, Chase could shut down their entire banking relationship with you. It's not worth it.

If it were me, I'd spend no more than 75% of my CL each month. Once or twice over the spending period, I'd pay down the balance mid-month to spend more. I would not cycle the CL every month and I certainly wouldn't do it more than once during any statement period. If you're lucky, Chase might increase your CL with this new level of spending.

I concur, most likely OP you lose X2 , Chase closing you down and not making Globalist.

If you want Gloablist due to planned or hopeful travel in '21, youd be better off crunching the #s and see if doing mattress runs is worth the expense. A 3rd X would be you plan to go Intl and then places still wont let Americans in. I was thinking OP of doing the same going after globalist but decided not to since the way things look I have no idea when , if at all Intl travel will be back in '21
craz is offline  
Old Sep 9, 20, 7:23 am
  #4  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,180
Originally Posted by maddyperrier68 View Post
.... Staying under $10k per cycle would take us 8 months/cycles to hit $80k.
Originally Posted by pallhedge View Post
....I'd spend no more than 75% of my CL each month....
To be sure I understand correctly, your suggestion is to spend no more than $7,500 most months, which would extend the project to eleven months, but attempt to cycle the limit in two (non consecutive) months which might shorten the period to nine months, and hope that Chase will increase the limit sometime during the process? Would you request a credit line increase?
mia is online now  
Old Sep 9, 20, 8:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,524
Originally Posted by mia View Post
To be sure I understand correctly, your suggestion is to spend no more than $7,500 most months, which would extend the project to eleven months, but attempt to cycle the limit in two (non consecutive) months which might shorten the period to nine months, and hope that Chase will increase the limit sometime during the process?
Yes, that's the most risk I'd be willing to take if Globalist was an absolute must-have. Even this, I think, gets pretty close to the line.
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Would you request a credit line increase?
I would not. The size of the CLI, if approved, would not likely move the needle much. If under 5/24, OP might consider applying for another Chase card and ultimately move some of that CL to the WoH card. CL granted for new accounts are generally much higher than CLI requests.

Bottom line, OP is talking about flirting with a Bust Out shutdown. Any unusual action taken is risky. We're all guessing at Chase's threshold. OP needs to decide if Globalist status is worth it.
pallhedge is offline  
Old Sep 9, 20, 10:13 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,384
I guess another question is if you feel it is worth obtaining Globalist by shifting the $80K to the Hyatt card instead of keeping it on your Ink Unlimited where you would earn 50% more in WOH points. You would be giving up 40K annually in points in exchange for the Globalist status. While there are incremental benefits, including an additional cat 1-4 free night, the unlimited free night upon hitting Globalist, as well as the breakfast/lounge benefit, do you spend enough time at Hyatt's to make Globalist worth the loss of the 40K?
TTT103 is offline  
Old Sep 9, 20, 11:51 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,198
Originally Posted by TTT103 View Post
I guess another question is if you feel it is worth obtaining Globalist by shifting the $80K to the Hyatt card instead of keeping it on your Ink Unlimited where you would earn 50% more in WOH points. You would be giving up 40K annually in points in exchange for the Globalist status. While there are incremental benefits, including an additional cat 1-4 free night, the unlimited free night upon hitting Globalist, as well as the breakfast/lounge benefit, do you spend enough time at Hyatt's to make Globalist worth the loss of the 40K?
Looks like OP spent about $500K a year on unlimited (750K UR pts), so missing out on 40K is only a 5% drop in total points per year. I did it with $40k on Hilton Diamond and $70K (I think? been a while) with Ritz/Marriott Plat (later became Titanium). Do I think it is worth it looking back.. not really. But it was nice to have it just to see how it was like. It usually goes like this:
"I see that you are our Diamond/Plat/Titanium member, thank you very much for your loyalty."
"Thank you! Is there any free room upgrade available?"
"No I am sorry, we are completely booked, but here are your complimentary continental breakfast coupons"
"What about the buffet?"
"It will be a $8 up-charge for the full buffet."
Need is offline  
Old Sep 9, 20, 9:38 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 24,990
Originally Posted by Need View Post
Looks like OP spent about $500K a year on unlimited (750K UR pts), so missing out on 40K is only a 5% drop in total points per year. I did it with $40k on Hilton Diamond and $70K (I think? been a while) with Ritz/Marriott Plat (later became Titanium). Do I think it is worth it looking back.. not really. But it was nice to have it just to see how it was like. It usually goes like this:
"I see that you are our Diamond/Plat/Titanium member, thank you very much for your loyalty."
"Thank you! Is there any free room upgrade available?"
"No I am sorry, we are completely booked, but here are your complimentary continental breakfast coupons"
"What about the buffet?"
"It will be a $8 up-charge for the full buffet."
That sounds like a Hilton FS USA encounter. With Marriott, you typically get lounge access, and per a thread on the Marriott forum, full breakfast at many properties when the lounge is closed (not counting the Covid era, of course). With Hilton Diamond, you only tend lounge access overseas, not in the USA. And in the USA, Hilton FS hotels are notorious for downsizing breakfasts for elites. IMHO, if you want a full breakfast in the Hilton family, IMHO HGI is much better than Hilton FS. (Not that HGI is that likely to have upgrades, simply because most of the rooms in the whole hotel tend to be identical. But the cooked-to-order breakfast is IMHO better in many ways than the typical Hilton buffet.)
sdsearch is offline  
Old Sep 10, 20, 12:24 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by pallhedge View Post
Yes, take your time doing this. $10k CL is gonna make it tough. Cycling credit as you suggest might not just get your WoH card closed, Chase could shut down their entire banking relationship with you. It's not worth it.

If it were me, I'd spend no more than 75% of my CL each month. Once or twice over the spending period, I'd pay down the balance mid-month to spend more. I would not cycle the CL every month and I certainly wouldn't do it more than once during any statement period. If you're lucky, Chase might increase your CL with this new level of spending.
Thank you. Reassessed Chase portfolio and looks like I can halt spend on CSR and take that limit and move over about $14k in additional credit to the WOH card, landing us at $24k. At the suggested 75%, this would give us $18k in total WOH spend to work with. We can slow play it over the course of the next 4 months and hit $72k in spend. Coupled with a few stays, should be able to hit Globalist. With stays planned for Oct/Nov/Dec this year, would like to attain Globalist sooner than later. Any other angles to take to allow us to spend more? Possibly request biz credit over to personal side? Wire in $50k to the WOH card (effectively mitigating risk from Chase's vantage), and then spending? Trying to be creative while avoiding security risks.

If it matters, on the business profile side, I have roughly $50k or so in total credit, most of which is utilized. On the aforementioned Ink Business, I've been cycling the past 6 or so months not cognizant of any repercussions this may carry - will stop this behavior immediately.
maddyperrier68 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 20, 7:14 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,524
Originally Posted by maddyperrier68 View Post
Thank you. Reassessed Chase portfolio and looks like I can halt spend on CSR and take that limit and move over about $14k in additional credit to the WOH card, landing us at $24k. At the suggested 75%, this would give us $18k in total WOH spend to work with. We can slow play it over the course of the next 4 months and hit $72k in spend. Coupled with a few stays, should be able to hit Globalist. With stays planned for Oct/Nov/Dec this year, would like to attain Globalist sooner than later. Any other angles to take to allow us to spend more? Possibly request biz credit over to personal side? Wire in $50k to the WOH card (effectively mitigating risk from Chase's vantage), and then spending? Trying to be creative while avoiding security risks.

If it matters, on the business profile side, I have roughly $50k or so in total credit, most of which is utilized. On the aforementioned Ink Business, I've been cycling the past 6 or so months not cognizant of any repercussions this may carry - will stop this behavior immediately.
I didn't know you were already cycling your credit on the business cards. You've already been playing with fire and everything you plan on doing only adds to it. Sudden significant spend on the personal card side could raise red flags and put eyes on your accounts and highlight the prior cycling behavior. in a separate thread, you're asking about applying for another Chase card AND a CLI on the same day--inviting even more eyes on your accounts.

I need you to be aware that you are risking your entire current and future banking relationship with Chase for Hyatt Globalist status. Understand that Chase doesn't ask questions. When they see something they don't like, they simply shut you down--everything, not just one card.
pallhedge is offline  
Old Sep 19, 20, 5:33 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by pallhedge View Post
I didn't know you were already cycling your credit on the business cards. You've already been playing with fire and everything you plan on doing only adds to it. Sudden significant spend on the personal card side could raise red flags and put eyes on your accounts and highlight the prior cycling behavior. in a separate thread, you're asking about applying for another Chase card AND a CLI on the same day--inviting even more eyes on your accounts.

I need you to be aware that you are risking your entire current and future banking relationship with Chase for Hyatt Globalist status. Understand that Chase doesn't ask questions. When they see something they don't like, they simply shut you down--everything, not just one card.
I appreciate the insight!

Originally Posted by pallhedge View Post
If it were me, I'd spend no more than 75% of my CL each month. Once or twice over the spending period, I'd pay down the balance mid-month to spend more. I would not cycle the CL every month and I certainly wouldn't do it more than once during any statement period. If you're lucky, Chase might increase your CL with this new level of spending.
If I understand correctly, given a CL of 24,000, you would suggest spending no more than 75% ($18,000) in a single statement, paying that entire balance off, and spending the "remaining" $6k, and cease any spending until entering a new statement period?

Side question - is there a way to request a CL increase by furnishing business financials with a credit analyst as opposed to requesting a standard CL increase request through CS, which I heard doesn't bump up your CL by much? Would like to increase business spend with Chase without having to cycle.
maddyperrier68 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 20, 1:09 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,524
Originally Posted by maddyperrier68 View Post
If I understand correctly, given a CL of 24,000, you would suggest spending no more than 75% ($18,000) in a single statement, paying that entire balance off, and spending the "remaining" $6k, and cease any spending until entering a new statement period?
I wrote what you quoted before you disclosed that you already have a history of cycling your credit. Given that, I'd stick to 75% of your CL and that's it.
pallhedge is offline  
Old Sep 20, 20, 10:13 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 24
I got you. The spending clock resets on Day 1 of each statement, correct? That is, once you hit 75% of CL on, let's say, Day 10, not spend another penny until Day 1 of the next statement? Thank you very much.
maddyperrier68 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: