Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Freedom and Unlimited, new Freedom Flex card & strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Freedom and Unlimited, new Freedom Flex card & strategies

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 9:29 am

Things like this will make me hesitant to use UR travel portal, especially for airline. hotels may be ok. I would just use CSR for the trip insurance.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Beetlesauce
Transaction closed Oct 9th. Statement closed and generated Oct 15th. No extra 3.5% posted anywhere.

In fact my Chase dashboard shows "+3.5% on Ultimate Rewards travel 0 pts $0" and also "You don't have any recent Ultimate Rewards travel activity at this time."
I just did a flight purchase that shows up the same way as it did for you (as a purchase with the airline). BUT, if I look at my Rewards Activity, under "your most recent activity" there is a tab titled "Bonus on Ultimate Reward Travel" where the 3.5x bonus shows up correctly. Haven't hit the statement yet, so don't know for sure what will happen, but they definitely have a record of it and my "pending rewards" seem to be the right number for receiving a 5x bonus. Seems like it's treated more like a shopping portal bonus than the normal multiplier based on purchase type.
mia likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
For anyone with a Freedom Flex converted or applied for, are the monthly Chase offers appearing on this card?
Starbucks, Rite Aid, Fubo, Showtime, etc.

I want to do the Fubo and probably before I convert my Freedom which was a MC 16 yrs ago.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I had a new Flex and it was not appearing in the Offers drop down of cards I have with Chase. Now, it is there, but no offers yet.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
For anyone with a Freedom Flex converted or applied for, are the monthly Chase offers appearing on this card?
Starbucks, Rite Aid, Fubo, Showtime, etc.
It took awhile, but they started showing up again this week (I converted mine on day 1).
mhdena likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ecs0013
It took awhile, but they started showing up again this week (I converted mine on day 1).
Does the cardmember since still show on the Flex card? And does it have the raised embossed numbers on the front or printed on the back?
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Does the cardmember since still show on the Flex card? And does it have the raised embossed numbers on the front or printed on the back?
Yes, original "Cardmember since" year shows up on the card. Card has raised embossed numbers on the front and Chase offers do show up. This is a converted Flex.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:11 pm

Yep, retained the same year and everything is embossed on the front. The best way to describe it is like the prior Freedom with a slightly different blue pattern and a Mastercard logo.

Edit: I opened this on my phone with the intent to reply and didn't see I Love to Travel chime in when I replied.

Last edited by ecs0013; Oct 31, 2020 at 4:25 pm
Old Nov 1, 2020, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Definitely has the same cardmember since as the other cards. Appears to be tied to when you actually acquired the card instead of when you first got a Chase Freedom product (like AMEX where they use your earliest date).

That means mine shows 2020 on the Flex vs. my CFU that says since 2014 and my regular Freedom that says 2013
Old Nov 6, 2020, 11:34 am

Anyone able to PC from freedom unlimited to flex? I found DP online that it's possible so I called Chase to do it. I spoke two different reps and each rep has a different answer. The first one days l said I can't PC cause flex is a MasterCard and I have a Visa. The second rep said I can't do the PC cause both cards have the same benefits. I told him mine doesn't have 5% categories. He said to apply instead. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:50 pm

Hi All,

I have both the Freedom Unlimited and Freedom card, and I'd like to apply for the Freedom Flex to get the signup bonus. My girlfriend also wants to get the Freedom Flex as well. Can I use my Chase refer-a-friend link to refer her using my old Freedom for her to get the Freedom Flex, then have her send me a refer-a-friend link for me to get the Freedom Flex as a new customer of the card? Is there anything against the T&C in this thought process?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by trikotret
Anyone able to PC from freedom unlimited to flex? I found DP online that it's possible so I called Chase to do it. I spoke two different reps and each rep has a different answer. The first one days l said I can't PC cause flex is a MasterCard and I have a Visa. The second rep said I can't do the PC cause both cards have the same benefits. I told him mine doesn't have 5% categories. He said to apply instead. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I converted my CFU to a Flex today with no issues. Gotta HUCA
Old Nov 11, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
If I convert my Freedom Unlimited to a Flex, will it be possible for me to convert the Flex back to a UR-earning Visa in the future, or am I stuck with the Flex since it's a Mastercard?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ayee007
Hi All,

I have both the Freedom Unlimited and Freedom card, and I'd like to apply for the Freedom Flex to get the signup bonus. My girlfriend also wants to get the Freedom Flex as well. Can I use my Chase refer-a-friend link to refer her using my old Freedom for her to get the Freedom Flex, then have her send me a refer-a-friend link for me to get the Freedom Flex as a new customer of the card? Is there anything against the T&C in this thought process?
Definitely should be done that way to maximize your UR.. I know freedom unlimited works for generating referral. Regular freedom should work too, but if not just use your unlimited to refer to her then she can refer you using the flex.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by JJ804
If I convert my Freedom Unlimited to a Flex, will it be possible for me to convert the Flex back to a UR-earning Visa in the future, or am I stuck with the Flex since it's a Mastercard?
I'm kind of curious if anyone else had some second-thoughts on the Flex and PC'd to the CFU. Most recently, Chase's 5% quarters haven't been as useful to max out (or get close) for me and I'm wondering if PCing to a CFU would make more sense to have a Visa and card for dining. Q1 2020 and Q2 2020 were good, as they went well with Discover, Q3 2020 and Q4 2020 weren't, as I don't use Amazon or Walmart much (swore off PayPal years ago after a bad experience). Q1 2021 doesn't seem bad, but even then, unless I'm prepaying phone and internet, the streaming won't be that much.

While the SUB for a new CFU is attractive, I'm not sure I want to add another account right now. I wasn't sure if the CFF was like the Citi Costco Anywhere Visa where you can PC in, but then you're stuck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.