Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Freedom and Unlimited, new Freedom Flex card & strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Freedom and Unlimited, new Freedom Flex card & strategies

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by christianj
Sorry...I meant the Sapphire Preferred. Others too have now pointed out it would be pretty much useless unless it's your only option to earn UR and transfer in points from the Freedom cards.

I also think we will see changes in the CSP and CSR in the near future. Honestly improvements are needed on the CSR side since AMEX revamped their Gold cards (and even their Green cards) earnings potential. For me all the dining spend that used to go on the CSR now goes to AMEX Gold along with grocery spend.
CSP not quite useless as it earns 2x travel, and you need either CSP, CSR or Ink Preferred to maximize it. But agree that CSP is devalued in relative terms, especially for the target market (folks who might just use UR points as statement credits rather than transferring).
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM
I concur with what people here say about CSP... and it already had outdated earning prior to this announcement.

CSR on the other hand has been keeping me happy with the temp bonuses (doordash, also 5x rotating categories like CF/CFF etc) but they also need to do a serious revamp on their earning structure... There's just no way it makes sense that their no AF-cards have better earning than their premium travel cards.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by wooootles
I concur with what people here say about CSP... and it already had outdated earning prior to this announcement.

CSR on the other hand has been keeping me happy with the temp bonuses (doordash, also 5x rotating categories like CF/CFF etc) but they also need to do a serious revamp on their earning structure... There's just no way it makes sense that their no AF-cards have better earning than their premium travel cards.
Unless these new cards cannot participate in UR pooling or they kill pooling altogether, which has been rumored before.

Originally Posted by beachfan
Can one downgrade a co-branded card (Ritz-Carlton) to a Freedom or only one of the Sapphire (or FU) products?
Cobranded cards can generally only be product-changed within that family - so to one of the Marriott cards.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by christianj
Sorry...I meant the Sapphire Preferred. Others too have now pointed out it would be pretty much useless unless it's your only option to earn UR and transfer in points from the Freedom cards.

I also think we will see changes in the CSP and CSR in the near future. Honestly improvements are needed on the CSR side since AMEX revamped their Gold cards (and even their Green cards) earnings potential. For me all the dining spend that used to go on the CSR now goes to AMEX Gold along with grocery spend.
Do we know if Chase really wants to improve the CSR or CSP? It is a money loser - the goal before Covid was to make it more profitable through a higher fee.

When Covid hit, a lot of their temporary bonuses were really strong (5x on grocery, pay yourself back), and it still is the best card for general travel (car rental, taxi, Uber, Lyft at 10x, etc). But I wouldn’t be surprised if CSR wasn’t actually devalued further in some way
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall
Unless these new cards cannot participate in UR pooling or they kill pooling altogether, which has been rumored before.
Chase has confirmed to CNN that the combine points feature stays with the new Freedom cards, for the time being at least.
Rare, SPN Lifer, beltway and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Cobranded cards can generally only be product-changed within that family - so to one of the Marriott cards.
That is true but whenever I apply for a new product and end up closing one I get the credit limit moved over to the new card even if it is in another family of cards.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM
It's been reported that with this new CFF you can still transfer UR to Sapphire (no changes).
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm thinking keep the Freedom if you have it already, mainly so that it can continue to be used at Costco (in the event they have "warehouse stores" as a 5% category at some point in the future).

Anyway, like you, my bigger concern is that this will trigger negative changes on CSP/CSR (for instance, getting rid of the dining category). I guess we'll see what happens with those.
You can still buy Costco gift cards online with a MasterCard. Dont do this if you want extended warranty/returns on a large expensive item (otherwise, Costco's return policy is generally generous enough to cover other defects)
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:45 pm

I was hoping that they would just combine Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited together. Freedom Flex has rotating 5%; Freedom Unlimited has 1.5% everyday spending. Just combine them and it would be the Freedom Ultimate card! Maybe the CSR will be updated to including both Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited.. a way of saying you already paid $500+ for the CSR... we will throw in our free cards benefits so you don't have to carry 3 cards.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:23 pm
RNE

Introducing New Chase Freedom Flex

https://media.chase.com/news/new-cha...ed-cardmembers

Last edited by mia; Aug 31, 2020 at 2:39 pm Reason: Repair link
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:27 pm

Love the new benefits. I use the business ink preferred as my UR "hub." I just got the Freedom Unlimited to take advantage of the 5% back on groceries. Have 2 Freedoms (second one from a product change/downgrade). Will probably just hold on to them and see if Chase offers a bonus for converting to the new card at a later date. The 3% back at restaurants was the big category of spending that I didn't have with my current combo of cards.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:22 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by reslfakb
Love the new benefits. I use the business ink preferred as my UR "hub." I just got the Freedom Unlimited to take advantage of the 5% back on groceries. Have 2 Freedoms (second one from a product change/downgrade). Will probably just hold on to them and see if Chase offers a bonus for converting to the new card at a later date. The 3% back at restaurants was the big category of spending that I didn't have with my current combo of cards.
Similarly, I have an Ink Preferred, a Freedom and a Freedom Unlimited (also a Chase Sapphire Reserve -- more about that in a bit). My plan is to cancel my Freedom now so I can apply for the Freedom Flex on Sept. 15. Why cancel? Because I want the 20,000-point sign-up bonus for the Flex. (It's my understanding that having an open Freedom card precludes getting that bonus. My Freedom card is 6 years old, by the way.) My Ink will hold my URs. I'll use the Flex like I use my Freedom now. I'll use my Freedom Unlimited for 3x dining. That new benefit is especially handy because I'm going to cancel my Chase Sapphire Reserve when the annual fee hits in October. I was lamenting the loss of 3x dining. But no more.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm thinking keep the Freedom if you have it already, mainly so that it can continue to be used at Costco (in the event they have "warehouse stores" as a 5% category at some point in the future).

Anyway, like you, my bigger concern is that this will trigger negative changes on CSP/CSR (for instance, getting rid of the dining category). I guess we'll see what happens with those.
Originally Posted by paperwastage
You can still buy Costco gift cards online with a MasterCard. Dont do this if you want extended warranty/returns on a large expensive item (otherwise, Costco's return policy is generally generous enough to cover other defects)
Costco was the first thing that came to my mind. For me, though, it kills the gas category. Costco is by far the cheapest place to buy gas around here, and gas has been a quarterly bonus 5x since the beginning of 2018. Warehouse stores have only been a category once in that time period. And unfortunately, the gift card trick won't work for the gas category. I have a CFU for the other new benefits (drug store bonus, etc), and have other World Elite Mastercard, so I have no plans to convert any time soon.
marksyr likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited--the new double play combo?

I have a regular Freedom plus a CSP and CSR. Was already considering the Unlimited, even before today's announcement. No problem with 5/24--no new cards with any issuer the last two years although I currently have nine personal cards, including the Freedom, and three business, including the Ink Preferred. I've hardly used the Freedom 5% categories since dining has fallen away as a regular option (not great in my area for gas station spend) and I've hardly used the Sapphire Preferred in the last year or two. Assuming approvals (and I'm happy to hear any negative views of completing this double play) is canceling the Freedom and going for both the Unlimited and Flex currently the way to go with personal cards in the UR arena with this portfolio?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Chris2013
Agreed...sort of curious what Chase has up their sleeve to make the CSP stand out. Besides transfer partners, there really is no good argument for the CSP card now that the Freedom gives 3% on dining. Weird times...
Don't forget CSP has the primary rental car damage coverage thing...
nall likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.