Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Chase reducing credit limits for no fault of the cardholder?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Chase reducing credit limits for no fault of the cardholder?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
To answer your question: finally having the time to spend money and work on a project from home that couldn't be done when working in the office and/or related traveling was eating into the opportunity to do projects at home.

JPMorgan Chase's credit card portfolio is handled in such a way that it involves a bunch of securitization. There is plenty of lucrative business that comes from card-related securitization and the related derivatives business itself.
Hardly new.

Securitizing card debt took off when the MBS market dropped through the floor in the last financial crisis. What is new is that most securitizations involve a tighter sets of reps and warranties. That is what puts the squeeze on new credit today.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Securitizing credit card debt took off well before the 2008 financial crisis.

And the point is that the card-issuing banks have a lucrative business that comes from card-related securitization and the related derivatives business itself and aren’t as directly and extensively on the financial hook for credit risk in the manner that was suggested in the exchange to which I replied.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:41 am
RNE

Originally Posted by serpens
That would be no problem for me. However, I thought there was a recent thread (which I read but don't remember, because it wasn't as interesting as it would be now) where some people asserted that this behavior was a red flag. IIRC, someone had a card closed and people suggested this behavior led to or contributed to the decision by the bank to close the card. Maybe it's only a problem if it's ongoing?
No, what's a red flag is when you charge up your card, pay it down, and then charge it up again, and pay it down again, etc. in one billing cycle. You wouldn't be doing that so you're fine.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RNE
No, what's a red flag is when you charge up your card, pay it down, and then charge it up again, and pay it down again, etc. in one billing cycle. You wouldn't be doing that so you're fine.
Thanks, I hadn't understood that repetition in one cycle was the issue. I think I've got it now.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I normally pay the full balance on every card every statement, but I have a 0% on one card and charged taxes on it. That card is now right at the credit limit (less than $50 remaining). It dropped my score a few points, but still nothing to be concerned about.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
Originally Posted by serpens
Thanks, I hadn't understood that repetition in one cycle was the issue. I think I've got it now.

I don't necessarily agree with this. I've had a number of times I make a large purchase, such as appliances, pay it off a week later, then charged my kids braces, pay it off, all with no negative effect.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by tstauck
I don't necessarily agree with this. I've had a number of times I make a large purchase, such as appliances, pay it off a week later, then charged my kids braces, pay it off, all with no negative effect.
With all due respect, it doesn't matter of you agree with this or not. What you described is credit cycling. Many banks don't like this activity. At the very least, it will invite scrutiny; at worst, a shutdown.
RNE likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....I make a large purchase, such as appliances, pay it off a week later, then charged my kids braces, pay it off,....
Paying early is not a problem. In doing this did you spend more than the card's credit limit in a single billing cycle?
RNE, mile ho and pallhedge like this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I've had a number of times I make a large purchase, such as appliances, pay it off a week later, then charged my kids braces, pay it off, all with no negative effect.
Pre-pandemic, I cycled CSR more often than not ever since I got it, including several months that I've cycled it multiple times. Recently I've been cycling my Prime CC due to [4%] cash back promo and the (relatively) low credit limit. Cycling may very well result in scrutiny as others so often seem to suggest on this forum, but obviously I've heard nothing from Chase about it. I've never thought it would be an issue until reading these posts. In fact, Chase has actually been rather aggressive about unilaterally increasing limits on cards that I've cycled.

Last edited by gengar; Sep 23, 2020 at 11:20 pm Reason: 4% not 5%
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
.... Cycling may very well result in scrutiny ...., but obviously I've heard nothing from Chase about it. I.... In fact, Chase has actually been rather aggressive about unilaterally increasing limits on cards that I've cycled.
It sounds as if your account has been scrutinized, and you have heard from Chase, in the form of a higher limit. However, if Chase had not been willing to extend you more credit the outcome could have been different.
sdsearch and RNE like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:19 am
RNE

Pre-pandemic, I cycled CSR... Chase has actually been rather aggressive about unilaterally increasing limits on cards that I've cycled.
Yes, some people cycle their credit limits and don’t get shut down. Others aren't so lucky. Read this article about credit cycling... https://www.asksebby.com/blog/what-i...hould-avoid-it

RNE, admitting I drove a car while drunk (in my youth), yet I never got caught or into an accident. Therefore, drunk driving must be safe.
pallhedge likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Here is my scenario:

I have six Chase cards, total credit limit near $100k. My monthly spend is nowhere near the limit of any of the cards, so I pay the full balance a few days before their due date.

Turns out my Freedom Unlimited has a relatively low limit of $8k, which never bothered me since I rarely used it for large expenses (for me, usually travel, which goes on the CSR or Plat).

But with the current Pay Yourself Back option, I have been putting more on my FU. Specifically, I charged my Q2 and Q3 estimated taxes and even considered pre-paying my estimated taxes for Q4 now. Which, together with health insurance and other misc charges would require cycling (or I could request a reallocation of credit from other cards). Not going to do that for the relatively small reward, but I do wonder if cycling is per card or factors in the overall credit the bank has extended to me. If I was money laundering (as seems to a concern based on RNE’s a link), I could just spread it across cards instead of cycling one.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by mia
It sounds as if your account has been scrutinized, and you have heard from Chase, in the form of a higher limit. However, if Chase had not been willing to extend you more credit the outcome could have been different.
Except that the key issue is whether that scrutiny resulted from cycling the cards. It's impossible to know. AMEX, Chase, and Citi have all raised limits on at least some of my cards, umprompted and without cycling. AFAICR Capital One is the only issuer I currently use who hasn't.

Also, it's been at least three years since my last credit line increase on my CSR and I've regularly cycled it since then (pre-pandemic, anyway).

Originally Posted by RNE
RNE, admitting I drove a car while drunk (in my youth), yet I never got caught or into an accident. Therefore, drunk driving must be safe.
I made no suggestion whatsoever of risk in my post - no need to make it out as if I did.

Last edited by gengar; Sep 23, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:02 am
RNE

I made no suggestion whatsoever of risk in my post...
Exactly. You should have done so.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Exactly. You should have done so.
Get off your high horse. I reported a fact (which, notably, is something many posters in this thread have failed to do). OP and any others reading this are adults who can assess any risk on their own and make their own decisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.