Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom Q3 2020 bonus categories: Amazon and Whole Foods

Old Jun 14, 20, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Hat tip to One Mile at a Time for posting this today. https://onemileatatime.com/chase-freedom-categories/

The UR site currently has the details posted (Log in to the UR site then choose 5% categories)

Inclusions:

Purchases made at Amazon.com including digital downloads, Amazon.com Gift Cards, Amazon.com Fresh orders, Amazon.com Prime subscriptions, and items sold by third party merchants through Amazon.comís marketplace.

Purchases made at Whole Foods Market including physical Whole Foods Market store locations, 365 stores, and the website accessible at wholefoodsmarket.com

Exclusions:

Purchases from merchants using Amazon Pay

Purchases made at international Amazon retail sites (including but not limited to Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, or Amazon.co.jp), or any other website operated by Amazon.

Purchases made at international Whole Foods Market sites

Purchases of Whole Foods Market or Whole Foods Market 365 products or services through third-party sites such as Eventbrite, Instacart, Google Express and Shipt

Online purchases of event tickets, classes or gift cards redeemable at Whole Foods Market or Whole Foods Market 365 (including through buyatab.com)

Purchases from certain third-party vendors operating at Whole Foods Market sites

Purchases of massage chair services made at Whole Foods Market sites

Purchases from [email protected]
Steve in Olympia and tbm13 like this.
Old Jun 15, 20, 7:41 am

Well.. that feels like the weakest Chase Freedom quarter in a while. Very limited in its scope.
restrictonthehanger and Happy like this.
Old Jun 15, 20, 8:37 am

Easy quarter to max out but wish this quarter was for wholesale clubs like Costco. Hopefully, Amazon Day will in September.

Last edited by Troopers; Jun 15, 20 at 8:57 am
Old Jun 15, 20, 9:17 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
.... Very limited in its scope.
From Chase's perspective this is attractive because Amazon should be bearing the cost of the bonus points. This essentially makes Freedom interchangeable with the Amazon Prime co-branded card, and which you use depends on the rewards you prefer.
Barciur and Steve in Olympia like this.
Old Jun 15, 20, 9:51 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
The Chase Freedom website does indicate that Amazon and Whole Foods should not be considered sponsors or co-sponsors. Maybe it means they don't pay for the bonus points, but the site also says that the merchants are not affiliated with Chase which we know is definitely not true as Chase is a major credit partner with Amazon (on the co-branded and some other programs).

I am also a bit disappointed that they just decided to include essentially one merchant for the whole quarter.
Happy likes this.
Old Jun 15, 20, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM
Since the main grocery store I shop at is Safeway, and Amazon sells Safeway gift cards, this is essentially 5x UR points on groceries for another month.
Old Jun 15, 20, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Biscoff27 View Post
Since the main grocery store I shop at is Safeway, and Amazon sells Safeway gift cards, this is essentially 5x UR points on groceries for another month.
FYI, Safeway gift cards can be used at their gas stations...so 5x UR on gas too.
Biscoff27 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 20, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Whoa - did not know about the Albertsons/Safeway physical sold via Amazon. I guess it is only fair since the grocery chain sells Amazon gc. Yes, you have to use the gift cards for fuel to get the cash price (avoid the surcharge for credit/debit).
Old Jun 15, 20, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
Well.. that feels like the weakest Chase Freedom quarter in a while. Very limited in its scope.
Amazon sells everything from cashews to caskets, and gift cards from everywhere. This is the most unlimited category ever. The whole freaking universe.

What is not to like?
Old Jun 15, 20, 6:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt Ist-iest
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia View Post
Amazon sells everything from cashews to caskets, and gift cards from everywhere. This is the most unlimited category ever. The whole freaking universe.

What is not to like?
It just isn't anything special. Amazon gift cards can be acquired almost everywhere at very good multipliers, like 5x all day every day with an Ink Cash, or 4x with an Amex Gold. So to me this is a waste of a quarter.
HPN-HRL likes this.
Old Jun 15, 20, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
It just isn't anything special. Amazon gift cards can be acquired almost everywhere at very good multipliers, like 5x all day every day with an Ink Cash, or 4x with an Amex Gold. So to me this is a waste of a quarter.
Most of us will max out our Ink Cash cards on office supplies, and this quarter's Freedom bonus is simply gravy on top of that. And Freedom is a fee-free card, while Amex Gold is costing you $250 per year in fees.

Amazon will be a very popular bonus category.
Old Jun 15, 20, 9:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt Ist-iest
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia View Post
Amazon will be a very popular bonus category.
I don't doubt that I selfishly would have preferred something purely MSable that didn't overlap existing cards. That's all.
Old Jun 16, 20, 10:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rasheed View Post
The Chase Freedom website does indicate that Amazon and Whole Foods should not be considered sponsors or co-sponsors. Maybe it means they don't pay for the bonus points, but the site also says that the merchants are not affiliated with Chase which we know is definitely not true as Chase is a major credit partner with Amazon (on the co-branded and some other programs).

I am also a bit disappointed that they just decided to include essentially one merchant for the whole quarter.
I get it to some degree but 1500 spend on amazon in 3 months....during a pandemic seems like the easiest spend ever
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Jun 19, 20, 3:32 pm

I guess everybody is different - I'll be lucky if I spend $1000 on Amazon in the entire year.
Happy and darthbimmer like this.
Old Jun 20, 20, 3:37 pm

I find it hilarious. You know how Chase makes you fill in information when they send you the email telling you to activate? Discover is just one-click. Well, I clicked, but never filled it out (forgot). And now I am activated! I guess they really don't need you to fill out the information.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: