Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Chase Pay Yourself Back Feature
Pay Yourself Back Rotating Category "Extra bonus boost when using UR points for payment" option

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, the categories for pay yourself back are: grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in these categories made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+50% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 50% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

How does Pay Yourself Back work?
Step icon one
HOW DO I PAY MYSELF BACK?
First select one or more recent eligible purchases listed and hit "Continue" to go to the next step. Then apply some or all of your available Ultimate Rewards points to each transaction you selected and hit "Confirm & Submit" to redeem your points for a statement credit.

Step icon two
HOW DO I APPLY MY POINTS TO SELECTED PURCHASES?
Enter a dollar amount for each transaction, up to the original purchase amount, based on your available Ultimate Rewards points balance. Or select "Apply Full Amount" and we'll apply your available points up to the full cost of each eligible purchase.

Step icon three
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY STATEMENT CREDIT?
Once you've submitted your order, it will take 2-3 days for your statement credit to appear on your account.

10/15/2020- Chase has added the Pay Yourself Back feature to the Ink Plus and Preferred Cards: https://www.chase.com/business/credit-cards/ink/inkofferscta?jp_aid_a=T_64096&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/hero
3/10/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining and Annual Fee until 6/30/2022 (was set to expire 3/31/2022) for CSR
9/28/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining until 12/31/2022 (was set to expire 9/30/2022) for CSR

Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Can't See Rewards Earned on Chase Sapphire Account

Anyone else not able to see the Ultimate Rewards Points earned with each transaction on their Chase Sapphire Account? I can see the 1.5x with each transaction on the Freedom Unlimited account, but not with CSR.

Been trying to check if I was earning 5x for Grocery for a few weeks and figured they were having trouble with the new/ temporary bonus categories, but today I checked and found all my previous transactions dating back a few months into 2019 also don't have that information.

I can't send a Secure Message about Rewards Enquiry anymore and the call center recording advices to call only for important matters because of their limited resources during the pandemic. Hoping to hear back on twitter.

Any similar experience here?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Works for me in the iPad app:

I checked the webpage (Safari iPad) and it showed the same info.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL AA Hilton Hyatt
I received my statement credit but I haven't seen any points getting removed from the purchase
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by knit-in
Anyone else not able to see the Ultimate Rewards Points earned with each transaction on their Chase Sapphire Account? I can see the 1.5x with each transaction on the Freedom Unlimited account, but not with CSR.

Been trying to check if I was earning 5x for Grocery for a few weeks and figured they were having trouble with the new/ temporary bonus categories, but today I checked and found all my previous transactions dating back a few months into 2019 also don't have that information.

I can't send a Secure Message about Rewards Enquiry anymore and the call center recording advices to call only for important matters because of their limited resources during the pandemic. Hoping to hear back on twitter.

Any similar experience here?
Clicked "Your Dashboard" and everything is listed.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I went ahead and paid myself back for a Door Dash credit that was already credited by the $60 Door Dash promotion and there was no problem. I wouldn't exactly call this a double dip since I could spend the points elsewhere but you can accomplish a quasi-double dip.

Grocery purchases that go against the travel credit do not appear in the portal as eligible for the pay yourself back option so no quasi-double dip is possible. I also notice that right after these post they disappear for a couple hours and the reappear along with the credit.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Costco = groceries?

The 7.5% effective return on groceries calculated here earlier seems good enough for me to set aside my Amex Blue Cash Preferred (6%) for the rest of this month, but what I'd really like to know is if Costco counts as groceries in this situation. Because my Amex is no good there, and it's generally impossible to get out of a Costco for under $100.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:23 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Sorry, Costco not Groceries

Originally Posted by DCA writer
The 7.5% effective return on groceries calculated here earlier seems good enough for me to set aside my Amex Blue Cash Preferred (6%) for the rest of this month, but what I'd really like to know is if Costco counts as groceries in this situation. Because my Amex is no good there, and it's generally impossible to get out of a Costco for under $100.
Costco does NOT count as groceries.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: Far too many
Instacart at Grocery?

Any data on using CSR/CSP to pay Instacart for a delivery from an eligible grocery?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:37 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat

Not half bad. I'm still sitting on a bit over a million UR points.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:10 pm

Was thinking about using this to get windows installed on my house through lowe's. Anybody know if this will code appropriately?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
Clicked "Your Dashboard" and everything is listed.
My husband's CSR all the 2019 transactions were gone. Only 2020 transactions shown but all travel redemption in 2020 also disappeared.

SM reps at first told him to call to talk to Web Support - that of course is impractical with still very busy phone line.

Then SM reps admitted there were issues in showing CSR's activities on some accounts after the update - why only affects some accounts and not all, no explanation. They claimed it was fixed. It is not. They suggested to clear cache, it isn't such issue as the same problem is across 4 browsers incl browser never used to access Chase (IE and Opera), also same issue when used iPad.

At the end SM reps resorted to manually list the Jul 2019 onward transactions on the SM, and the Travel Award activities on another SM.

The biggest issue is, we no longer see a cruise booking travel award deduction any more while the SM rep showed there were 2 identical booking references of the cruise - one is the deduction of points and the other one is a canceled entry, with 0 points shown. On all other canceled travel awards there are only one entry each, value 0 - that is how U.timate Rewards show the original booking is refunded., by erasing the initial point deduction.

We cannot see the cruise booking details any more because all travel award bookings disappeared sometime between May 21st and May 29th.

I have a screen shot made on May 21st when UR sent an email about refunding an LX canceled itinerary. I noticed the balance reflect the refund but no ledger entry until I found out the original deduction was now erased, showed as 0. Then on May 29th UR sent a weird email on that refunded LX cancellation about some flight credit - I wanted to check if Chase clawed back the original refund - then I found out ALL travel reward redemption DISAPPEARED.

I dont believe Chase would ever go back to fix such glitches on affected accounts. Given the time frame such glitches happened, and the later admission by SM reps - it must be due to adding the current Pay Yourself Back has caused issues to some accounts.

FWIW, the CSR has not been used in 2020 other than paying for taxes on an Aeroplan award which since it is counted against the $300 travel credit, that activity disappeared too, so as the DoorDash orders for the $60 credit. There were 2 orders and they disappeared, even though the 2nd order actually went above the bal of unclaimed credit, therefore resulted to an actual charge. No other charge was made. Only other transactions were Aeroplan's refund on taxes when award was canceled, and a DoorDash credit on restaurant canceled item and we did not want DoorDash credit - both credits Chase actually deducted the related points despite the Aeroplan initial charge did not earn any point (due to part of the $300 travel credit). These 2 credits are the only UR activities still shown on screen when I visited the site on May 29.

So far Chase does not seem to either know what the issue is, or simply does not care. We would need to make screen shot after each meaningful activity - be it combine points, transfer out, travel award booking, or the current pay yourself back redemption - the only way we could have records intact.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
Costco does NOT count as groceries.
It never counts as grocery by any issuer.

However, if you dont mind to pay the inflated prices + delivery + tips to use instacart shopping for Costc, instacart counts as grocery - but at a cost that aint cheap.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
I have the CSR and also the Freedom. Can you pay yourself back at 1.5x for eligible purchases on the Freedom? I don't see the Freedom purchases listed, even after I transferred those points to the CSR - unless there's a lag time for them to show up. Any information?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by Explore
I have the CSR and also the Freedom. Can you pay yourself back at 1.5x for eligible purchases on the Freedom? I don't see the Freedom purchases listed, even after I transferred those points to the CSR - unless there's a lag time for them to show up. Any information?
No
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Explore
I'm not surprised. Only CSP and CSR accounts are eligible for pay yourself back, so it makes sense that purchases made on your Freedom account aren't listed.
Adelphos likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.