Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Chase Pay Yourself Back Feature
Pay Yourself Back Rotating Category "Extra bonus boost when using UR points for payment" option

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, the categories for pay yourself back are: grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in these categories made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+50% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 50% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

How does Pay Yourself Back work?
Step icon one
HOW DO I PAY MYSELF BACK?
First select one or more recent eligible purchases listed and hit "Continue" to go to the next step. Then apply some or all of your available Ultimate Rewards points to each transaction you selected and hit "Confirm & Submit" to redeem your points for a statement credit.

Step icon two
HOW DO I APPLY MY POINTS TO SELECTED PURCHASES?
Enter a dollar amount for each transaction, up to the original purchase amount, based on your available Ultimate Rewards points balance. Or select "Apply Full Amount" and we'll apply your available points up to the full cost of each eligible purchase.

Step icon three
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY STATEMENT CREDIT?
Once you've submitted your order, it will take 2-3 days for your statement credit to appear on your account.

10/15/2020- Chase has added the Pay Yourself Back feature to the Ink Plus and Preferred Cards: https://www.chase.com/business/credit-cards/ink/inkofferscta?jp_aid_a=T_64096&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/hero
3/10/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining and Annual Fee until 6/30/2022 (was set to expire 3/31/2022) for CSR
9/28/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining until 12/31/2022 (was set to expire 9/30/2022) for CSR

Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:07 am

So you get credit card statement credit? Not cash deposit into checking/savings?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, AMEX Plat (MR), AMEX Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
So you get credit card statement credit? Not cash deposit into checking/savings?
I assume this will be a statement credit since they did not ask for bank account info. I will likely have a large credit for next few months since I only use my Chase Sapphire for bonus categories like Grocery, Dining and Travel and my use of points to cover the charges will result in month over month credits.

You can request Chase to send you the credit since it's your money - I have done this with other credit cards in the past.

In any case a statement credit is the same as cash.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:49 am

It’s a statement credit, shows up as “Redemption Credit.”
Old Jun 1, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Correct.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 6:34 pm

so let be clarify - I can use my Chase Sapphire Reserve to get 5X points even on Gift Cards bought at the Grocery store? Do the gift cards have to be of a certain type - i.e. gift cards for that store itself? I am guessing no since the only information that shows up on the bill is that it is under the category of "Grocery stores".

Now, for the question I would also want to know - I have about 50,000 UR points, if I buy $1500 worth of gift cards at my Grocery store, I get 7500 worth of points and I can erase $112.5 worth of purchases so that represents a cashback of 7.5%? And the 7500 worth of points isn't clawed back when I use them to erase the original purchase correct?

In addition I also have a Chase Freedom that has a 5X groceries categories that has been active for Q2 (April, May, June). Is the $1500 limit across all Ultimate Rewards cards per user or is it individual per card?

Last edited by k374; Jun 1, 2020 at 6:44 pm
Old Jun 1, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by k374
so let be clarify - I can use my Chase Sapphire Reserve to get 5X points even on Gift Cards bought at the Grocery store? Do the gift cards have to be of a certain type - i.e. gift cards for that store itself? I am guessing no since the only information that shows up on the bill is that it is under the category of "Grocery stores".

Now, for the question I would also want to know - I have about 50,000 UR points, if I buy $1500 worth of gift cards at my Grocery store, I get 7500 worth of points and I can erase $112.5 worth of purchases so that represents a cashback of 7.5%? And the 7500 worth of points isn't clawed back when I use them to erase the original purchase correct?

In addition I also have a Chase Freedom that has a 5X groceries categories that has been active for Q2 (April, May, June). Is the $1500 limit across all Ultimate Rewards cards per user or is it individual per card?
It's by card. I have one Freedom that is mine and one that is a joint card (Chase doesn't issue joint cards but I have one that was at one time an Arkansas bank card when we wanted to take advantage of their usury laws and Chase bought a bank that bought a bank that . . .) and get spend $1500 on each when the category is one where you can actually spend that much.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
It isn't unthinkable that people obviously buying lots of gift cards could be perceived as "gaming" which could lead to shutdown. But the bonus should work for any purchase at the grocery store, regardless of what it is.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
It isn't unthinkable that people obviously buying lots of gift cards could be perceived as "gaming" which could lead to shutdown. But the bonus should work for any purchase at the grocery store, regardless of what it is.
I don't think it is gaming at all, any purchase at a grocery store is just that - according to the terms - "purchases made at a grocery store". The terms did not say one needs to buy actual groceries that are "edible". Grocery stores sell all sorts of stuff including medicines and household supplies which are technically not "groceries".
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:08 pm

I’d think you should be fine buying gift cards at a ‘normal’ rate but if you start spending $30k at the grocery store each month they might get suspicious.

Yes, you’d still earn points on the purchase and then be able to use those points as a statement credit. Essentially a 7.5% discount.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I’d think you should be fine buying gift cards at a ‘normal’ rate but if you start spending $30k at the grocery store each month they might get suspicious.

Yes, you’d still earn points on the purchase and then be able to use those points as a statement credit. Essentially a 7.5% discount.
5X on groceries is limited to $1500 per month for two months, no?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer

Chase would probably like you if you did that since the other $27,000 would only get you 1x on the purchase side of things this month. You're paying 1.2% as a fee.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I don't think it is gaming at all, any purchase at a grocery store is just that - according to the terms - "purchases made at a grocery store". The terms did not say one needs to buy actual groceries that are "edible". Grocery stores sell all sorts of stuff including medicines and household supplies which are technically not "groceries".
I don't disagree with you. But I know that a lot of people make that argument after they get shut down for "rewards abuse". It doesn't do any good, because the card issuer's opinion is unfortunately the only opinion that matters. And Chase has shut many people down for buying lots of gift cards to earn points.
notquiteaff and zack14 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:12 am

I doubt Chase is worried about people "gaming" a sort term, limited promo like this. Not many people are going to bother with putting on a mask to go into a crowded grocery store to buy a fist full of gift cards.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JetAway
I doubt Chase is worried about people "gaming" a sort term, limited promo like this. Not many people are going to bother with putting on a mask to go into a crowded grocery store to buy a fist full of gift cards.
I don't see the thought progression. Most people will probably need to go to a grocery store during this short term, limited promo, and as long as they are there, they might buy a fist full of gift cards. Maybe Chase isn't concerned about gaming for this promo, but lack of opportunity is not likely to be the reason for a lack of concern.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:55 am

Things are the same until they aren't. With what we've seen the last decade we would collectively need to say the probability of problems with a couple thousand at grocery stores during covid would be low and have to be considered a dramatic crackdown as compared to what they've allowed with various products in the past with amounts exponentially higher. Now, that being said, the guy doing $80k a month with GCM and cycling his credit limit is certainly going to get shutdown as there is plenty of evidence and data points to suggest that. Minding your own business and playing with the limits they set and staying far away from the line is certainly not fail proof, but it helps one's odds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.