Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Old May 1, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase regularly offers 3-month spending bonuses at chase.com/mybonus.
Chase Spend and Get Offers | My Bonus | Chase.com

These bonuses have the following characteristics:
  • Offers are not visible in your Chase online account. You can view them only through the portal at the link above. Viewing an offer automatically registers your card for it.
  • Offers are individually targeted. You may receive a different offer, or none at all, on a card type for which another FTer reports a bonus.
  • A given card will have, at most, one applicable bonus offer at a time.
  • Offers are typically for higher multiples of miles/points per dollar spent. Note that when an offer is for 10x on gas spend, that means 10 points or miles per dollar total, including any category bonus native to the relevant card.
    • If you downgrade a qualifying card during an offer period, the offer will still apply, but you will receive only the incremental benefit relative to the new cards built-in category bonus, if any. For example, the Chase IHG Premier card always earns 5x on dining, so a 10x quarterly offer is worth an extra 5 points/dollar. If you downgrade to the IHG Traveler card (native 3x dining bonus), you will receive 8 total points per dollar (native 3x plus the promotional 5 points/dollar) for spending during the offer period.
    • On very rare occasions, an offer may be for a fixed bonus contingent on the cardholder making a certain number of transactions of a minimum value. (For an early 2022 instance of this5,000 UR for making 15 purchases of at least $2 eachsee this post.)
  • Most offers are for generic categories (gas, grocery, dining, etc.). On occasion, however, an offer may be for purchases with a specific Chase partner using the applicable co-branded card (e.g., United Airlines, Hyatt, IHG) or for a large merchant such as Amazon (Q422).
  • Offers are usually capped at $1500 in spend. In some cases, however, the cap may be higher, e.g., extra miles on up to $6,000 in purchases from United Airlines on a United card.
  • Bonuses are typically for standard quarterly periods, but offers may also run for other three-month periods (e.g., June/July/August). It is generally worth checking on, or even shortly before, the first of each month for any card that doesnt currently have an associated offer.
    • If you have a Q3 offer, you wont be able to see any Q4 offer on that card until the Q3 offer expires. That said, Chase may send you an email notification a few days before the cutoff allowing you to view & pre-register for the upcoming offer.
For discussion of Chase Offersshort-term (usually <30 days) percentage discounts with specific merchants (not categories)see "Chase Offers" (merchant branded discounts or rebates on specific cards), including the wiki at the top of each page.

Print Wikipost

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Old May 31, 2020, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by serpens
The wiki includes this information.

I read that as saying that grocery store and gas station purchases, unlike the normal travel credit, will earn points (presumably 1 point per dollar after June 30). In other words, after my annual travel credit becomes available (I've used it for the current year), if I charge $300 in travel, then I get a $300 statement credit. But if I charge $300 at the grocery store, I get $300 statement credit plus 300 UR points. Did I read that correctly?
I think so. Note you will even get 5x for grocery charges for another month right now.

However I also think it means if you eventually spend on travel, that will not get any points until after $300. I have a feeling we will see people complaining about this when they notice it later in the year.
Adelphos likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Between the grocery bonus and the new redemption bonus, I’ve switched basically all of my Amex Gold spending (including restaurants) to CSR for the time being. Looks like I won’t be spending much on the Amex Gold (besides Grubhub, which earns me 5x due to a promo) until August (I will put groceries on Marriott/Delta cards in July)
Old May 31, 2020, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by libralibra
However I also think it means if you eventually spend on travel, that will not get any points until after $300. I have a feeling we will see people complaining about this when they notice it later in the year.
If anyone complains, it will be a result of not paying attention. It has been quite a while since the $300 travel expenditure earned any points. The rule was changed long ago.
Happy likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:17 pm

my audible.com purchase is also flagged for 1.5 times points redemption.. thats nice..
Old Jun 1, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, AMEX Plat (MR), AMEX Delta Platinum
Just used the Pay Yourself back option for 1.5 cents per point on Dining, Groceries and Home Improvement and it let me use it on purchases up to 90 days ago - I used it on purchases from March 11. Nice option to redeem points at a pretty healthy 1.5 cent rate when travel is not an option.Getting 2 cents per points requires a fair bit of work to plan and transfer points - the 1.5 cents is simple and takes a few seconds to execute. On groceries and food delivery this is 7.5% cash back with the recent 5x points for these purchases and 4.5% cashback on restaurant and travel purchases - I'm happy with these redemption rates.

Looks like my groceries and dining out will be paid for by Chase for the next few months.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
My credits posted overnight. My "points on your next statement" total did not change.

Every credit posts as "REDEMPTION CREDIT Fees & Adjustment"

(Thought I was in Pay Yourself Back thread- useful here, too if I add the context that this was about PYB.)

Last edited by highops; Jun 1, 2020 at 5:52 am Reason: Clarity
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I also tend to agree with internet chatter that the travel portal companies Chase has partnered with have been nothing but trouble for Chase so this will eventually be how the 1.5x/1.25x point value will work on travel. Seems easier on both sides- customers won't have to worry which purchases qualify for loyalty programs, for instance.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 7:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by libralibra
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
If anyone complains, it will be a result of not paying attention. It has been quite a while since the $300 travel expenditure earned any points. The rule was changed long ago.
But if the $300 credit was used for groceries and gas, why would $300 of later travel spending not earn points? The rule, as I understand it, is that reimbursed travel spending does not earn points. Perhaps that rule could be applied to groceries and gas, but it seems convoluted to apply it to travel spend that is not reimbursed.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Maybe venture to a local grocery store and see if they have Costco gift cards. Then do a test purchase to see if it codes as grocery on your Chase card. If it does, go nuts on COstco gift cards which can then be used at the store you shop at? Alternatively if you buy other stuff online, buy a giftcard for that online store from the local grocery store. I've been stocking up on Amazon gift cards at my local grocery store...
Are the Amazon Gift Card purchases getting the 5x ?

Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by knit-in

Thanks.
Yes.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Working in Europe too, if it applies to anyone.
knit-in likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

Thanks.
Of course, the final tab at checkout in the grocery store is registered as the charge by Chase. They don't get any info on what exactly I buy at the store...
knit-in likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, AMEX Plat (MR), AMEX Delta Platinum
If you have the Amazon Prime card this becomes a 2.5% benefit, since the grocery purchase will give you 5x pts and at 1.5 cpp it's a 7.5% benefit versus the Amazon Prime card 5% benefit.

To make this worthwhile you would need to buy alot of gift cards.... Basically I am getting $2.50 for each $100 in gift cards I buy - I think I can get much higher returns focusing my effort elsewhere...
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm just diverting my existing Amazon spend to a grocery store to get the 5x points as a bonus, no MSing involved
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by entel
If you have the Amazon Prime card this becomes a 2.5% benefit, since the grocery purchase will give you 5x pts and at 1.5 cpp it's a 7.5% benefit versus the Amazon Prime card 5% benefit.

To make this worthwhile you would need to buy alot of gift cards.... Basically I am getting $2.50 for each $100 in gift cards I buy - I think I can get much higher returns focusing my effort elsewhere...
I don’t have the Prime card, but I can buy Amazon gift cards for 5X every day of the year at office supply stores using my Ink Cash card.

What’s different right now is:

- I can cash in URs for 1.5c if I have grocery/dining spend
- grocery store purchases earn fuel/grocery rewards that add to the value proposition (I have never bothered to look into the rewards programs of Staples etc)
- I am minimizing my shopping trips. The nearest office supply store with Amazon gift cards is 5 miles round trip, and I have no other reason to go there at the moment

I am prepaying some future Amazon spend by buy buying gift cards at Safeway as I do my grocery shopping (no separate trip). I am also prepaying some future grocery spend by buying Safeway gift cards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.