Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 1, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase regularly offers 3-month spending bonuses at chase.com/mybonus.
Chase Spend and Get Offers | My Bonus | Chase.com

These bonuses have the following characteristics:
  • Offers are not visible in your Chase online account. You can view them only through the portal at the link above. Viewing an offer automatically registers your card for it.
  • Offers are individually targeted. You may receive a different offer, or none at all, on a card type for which another FTer reports a bonus.
  • A given card will have, at most, one applicable bonus offer at a time.
  • Offers are typically for higher multiples of miles/points per dollar spent. Note that when an offer is for “10x on gas spend,” that means 10 points or miles per dollar total, including any category bonus native to the relevant card.
    • If you downgrade a qualifying card during an offer period, the offer will still apply, but you will receive only the incremental benefit relative to the new card’s built-in category bonus, if any. For example, the Chase IHG Premier card always earns 5x on dining, so a 10x quarterly offer is worth an extra 5 points/dollar. If you downgrade to the IHG Traveler card (native 3x dining bonus), you will receive 8 total points per dollar (native 3x plus the promotional 5 points/dollar) for spending during the offer period.
    • On very rare occasions, an offer may be for a fixed bonus contingent on the cardholder making a certain number of transactions of a minimum value. (For an early 2022 instance of this—5,000 UR for making 15 purchases of at least $2 each—see this post.)
  • Most offers are for generic categories (gas, grocery, dining, etc.). On occasion, however, an offer may be for purchases with a specific Chase partner using the applicable co-branded card (e.g., United Airlines, Hyatt, IHG) or for a large merchant such as Amazon (Q422).
  • Offers are usually capped at $1500 in spend. In some cases, however, the cap may be higher, e.g., extra miles on up to $6,000 in purchases from United Airlines on a United card.
  • Bonuses are typically for standard quarterly periods, but offers may also run for other three-month periods (e.g., June/July/August). It is generally worth checking on, or even shortly before, the first of each month for any card that doesn’t currently have an associated offer.
    • If you have a Q3 offer, you won’t be able to see any Q4 offer on that card until the Q3 offer expires. That said, Chase may send you an email notification a few days before the cutoff allowing you to view & pre-register for the upcoming offer.
For discussion of “Chase Offers”—short-term (usually <30 days) percentage discounts with specific merchants (not categories)—see "Chase Offers" (merchant branded discounts or rebates on specific cards), including the wiki at the top of each page.

Print Wikipost

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Chase offers 5x Points on Groceries on CSR and 3-5x on other cards (May-June '20)

https://www.cnbc.com/select/chase-sa...rds-groceries/
5X rewards3X rewards
Old May 1, 2020, 11:08 am

Are Whole Foods delivery orders through Amazon categorized as groceries?

My past orders through Amazon were classed as "shopping." My most recent Whole Foods Amazon order was tagged as "groceries." Does anyone know if this means that Amazon has recategorized these transactions as groceries, or whether there is something else causing this? With the current bonus for grocery spend, this may influence where I shop and which card I use.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:09 am

$1500 spending cap per month and the promo only lasts two months.

Consider me underwhelmed.
Happy likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Originally Posted by lexdevil
My past orders through Amazon were classed as "shopping." My most recent Whole Foods Amazon order was tagged as "groceries." Does anyone know if this means that Amazon has recategorized these transactions as groceries, or whether there is something else causing this? With the current bonus for grocery spend, this may influence where I shop and which card I use.
I think WFM Amazon orders use a different transaction string, and therefore is classified as grocery.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by ft543
I think WFM Amazon orders use a different transaction string, and therefore is classified as grocery.
Yes, but my earlier Whole Foods delivery orders (4/20, 4/16) through Amazon were categorized as "shopping." Only the most recent one (4/28) was categorized as "groceries." I'm trying to figure out if I can rely on these transactions being classified as groceries in the future.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Statman
$1500 spending cap per month and the promo only lasts two months.

Consider me underwhelmed.
I imagine that if folks keep canceling the travel related cards because they are not traveling, this offer may be extended. I think it's pretty clearly an attempt to keep cardholders from bailing during the current crisis. It's a solid offer for the CSR; it would be a lot better if it were extended. The monthly limit is a problem for folks trying to manufacture spend, but for those of us who are just trying to buy the groceries we would anyway, it's a decent bump. I'm not going to turn my back on 15k points.
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by lexdevil; May 1, 2020 at 11:31 am
Old May 1, 2020, 11:32 am

I imagine that if folks keep canceling the travel related cards because they are not traveling, this offer may be extended. I think it's pretty clearly an attempt to keep cardholders from bailing during the current crisis. It's a solid offer for the CSR; it would be a lot better if it were extended.
5x UR is solid and I get why Chase is doing this, but to throw out a TWO MONTH promo offer just seems petty.

Just make it 6 months or the end of the year and stop with these penny pinching promos when they have just increased the AF by $100. It's just a bad look IMO.
lexdevil likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:32 am

This would be awesome if it got extended. Either way it's a great offer.

Makes me feel even better about cancelling my Amex Gold card.

Just make it 6 months or the end of the year and stop with these penny pinching promos when they have just increased the AF by $100. It's just a bad look IMO.
It's way better than the competition... I'll take it.
lexdevil likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:53 am

5x UR is solid and I get why Chase is doing this, but to throw out a TWO MONTH promo offer just seems petty.

Six moths would be better. Or even a year or two. I think it's going to be quite a while before travel returns to anything like it was. At the same time, folks in the travel industry are being extremely cautious about making commitments too far ahead (as witness the airlines waiting to cancel flights too far out). They may know that we're not going to return to normal anytime soon, but they don't want to risk missing out (on making money or simply losing less) by committing sooner than they have to.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
any details on if certain categories are excluded from the bonus points? or any transaction at a Tom Thumb / Kroger / Aldi, etc. would count.
lexdevil likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Flyertalker1
any details on if certain categories are excluded from the bonus points? or any transaction at a Tom Thumb / Kroger / Aldi, etc. would count.
I would also be interested in hearing from folks who shop at stores like Target and Walmart. They have groceries, but they sell so much other stuff. How are they categorized on your Chase statements? If not grocery, folks may want to move their grocery purchases to a different vendor. If grocery, can we get 5x grocery points when buying clothes, electronics, etc. at Target and Walmart?

I'm also thinking about stores like Fred Meyer in the Pacific Northwest, which sells a bit of everything.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
So what. Chase Freedom already earns 5x per grocery spend and does NOT levy an annual fee.
big concern for me is that I am currently trapped in Europe so CSR paying no foreign fees is a big plus for me...
Old May 1, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tommys888
big concern for me is that I am currently trapped in Europe so CSR paying no foreign fees is a big plus for me...
CSR is now giving 5x UR points on groceries for the next two months.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
[QUOTE=lexdevil;32341356]CSR is now giving 5x UR points on groceries for the next two months.[/QUOTE

YES. This comes really at the right timing since they also accept international groceries, not like Amex.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I would also be interested in hearing from folks who shop at stores like Target and Walmart.
Groceries was already a bonus category for Chase Freedom for April - June, 2020. The list of eligible and ineligible merchants is here. Walmart and Target are explicitly excluded:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedo...ards/merchants
renila likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.