Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (April 2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
In April 2020 Chase criteria for approving BUSINESS card applications have become more stringent. All Chase INK products are business cards. Chase also issues co-branded business cards for United Airlines and Southwest Airlines.

Chase business cards are subject to the 5/24 restriction. Approval of a Chase business application has not increased the N/24 count, but there are a few reports in the 4th quarter of 2022 that this may have changed, review THIS thread. There will always be some uncertainty, because 5/24 is an unpublished rule which Chase can modify without notice or explanation.

For general information about applying for Chase cards, including explanation of the unpublished 5/24 rule, please review the Wikipost of the PERSONAL card thread: HERE

Anyone can apply for a business card as a sole proprietor. If your business has a registered company name, which Chase can verify, you may use the name to apply. Otherwise, use your legal First and Last name as the business name. Do not add any extra words, do not use a made up name. If Chase cannot verify the name the application will fail.

Useful Chase telephone numbers
(888) 269-8690 - Business Credit Card Application Status Line, automated
(800) 453-9719 – Business Credit Card Reconsideration Line with live rep
(800) 453-9719 – Credit Reallocation Office (Business cards)
(888) 622-7547 – Executive Offices

Twitter: @ChaseSupport

Note: In the past, automated telephone status reports stating that Chase would notify you in 2 weeks often resulted in an approval, whereas the "7-10 days" telephone recording often indicated imminent denial. In 2016, this pattern became increasingly unpredictable, with many applicants receiving approval despite an earlier "7-10 days" automated telephone message. As a result, automated telephone responses should not be regarded as reliable indicators of an application's likely outcome.

?? Chase business credit cards [must / may] use [the same / a different] user name [as / from] personal cards. The same [applies / does not apply] to the e-mail address used. ??

Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (April 2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Two things seem to be new. 1) The requirement to login to submit an online application for a business card, which means you must already have some type of Chase account, and 2) the apparent requirement that the business have a banking relationship with Chase.

Do we know if there have been exceptions to the second requirement?
Do we actually know that the requirement for #2 is a business banking relationship or would a personal banking relationship suffice?

Regards
mia likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Chase apparently changed a bunch of things about business card applications in the past week or so, making denials close to guaranteed apparently:

Chase Now Requiring You To Login Before Being Able To Apply For Business Cards

Chase Seems To Be Tightening Small Business Credit Card Application (Insufficient Funds, Business Structure)

Anyone here been approved for a Chase business card application since 4/17?
I was denied Ink preferred, called reconsideration and was approved. Initial reason given was not having a banking relationship with Chase, as in savings/checking..what's up with that?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by entel

Chase is more stringent on the business name. AMEX allows you to provide a business name to show on your card without any verification - Chase does not allow that.
Over the past month I applied for Biz cards with Chase, Amex and Citi. New business, new TIN, estimated income of $60k/year. Amex and Citi were quickly approved with large credit lines. Chase denied even though I have CPC checking account plus 6-figure CPC retirement assets and more. Called recon line and was told business was too new. US bank offers free biz accounts so will probably open one there. Hopefully this is just a temp move by Chase in response to the current downturn but if not I will consider pulling my biz. Hard to justify banking there when churners can open dozens of cards but longtime customers cannot.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Over the past month I applied for Biz cards with Chase, Amex and Citi. New business, new TIN, estimated income of $60k/year. Amex and Citi were quickly approved with large credit lines. Chase denied even though I have CPC checking account plus 6-figure CPC retirement assets and more. Called recon line and was told business was too new. US bank offers free biz accounts so will probably open one there. Hopefully this is just a temp move by Chase in response to the current downturn but if not I will consider pulling my biz. Hard to justify banking there when churners can open dozens of cards but longtime customers cannot.
Had you attempted to open your Chase business card when "churners" were opening their "dozens" of cards, you would likely have been approved also. Unfortunately, your timing is bad given that everyone is having difficulty obtaining approval for new Chase business cards given Chase's recent (pandemic related) tighter approval controls.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by DaveH
Good luck ferrari_fan ! Thank you for keeping us posted.
Thank you! My application was approved today. It turns out that the documents that were faxed over from the Chase bank were never received by Fraud and Verifications. A good turn of events actually expedited my approval of CIP. I applied for CSR personal card this morning and unsurprisingly it also went into the familiar "We are reviewing your application" message. I waited an hour to call in for reconsideration. The agent approved it after just 5 mins of exchange with a lousy $5000 limit, but I also anticipated this. Chase has too much exposure with me, but I was not willing to move limits from my JPMR at this time. I had the agent do another hard pull for another increase to a total $10,000 for the new CSR (I will get rid of the duplicates on equifax).

But this kinda raised some red flags as she questioned me about the business application and 3 recent credit pulls. Upon asking more information about the stage of business application, she transferred me to another analyst (David) who turned out to be a really awesome all around guy. We discussed a lot about my exposure, credit scores, history and pretty much divulged a lot of information they normally avoid with customers (and he stated this very clearly). Gave me a new phone number to talk to for Fraud and Verifications (877-470-9042), a number that is not listed in any blog or forums, but should be. These guys are top notch. After contacting this new verifications team, I luckily got another great agent (Grace) and I explained how I had faxed in documentation they needed from a Chase branch last week etc. She mentioned that they never received it and I went into details about all the documentation I had sent from a branch itself. Initially she mentioned that I needed to go to another branch and have the banker "Scan the documents through iVault using my account". I said I'd rather fax it myself this time with the reference number and she gave me two different numbers I can send the fax too (888-643-9628) and (201-328-3289). I mentioned what the documents that I had sent and said this is quite frustrating. She put me on hold and said she is going to look some more about my application. Turns out all they needed was to know why my new address used in application is different from the old one associated with the existing Chase Ink Plus card I have had for last 7 years. I explained that I just wanted it to match what is in my credit report. So my mistake was not updating my business account profile online ! that was it.

After verifying both addresses, she approved me on the spot and I have both CSR and CIP coming via UPS Monday. Great weekend
renila, Boraxo, happychic and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
I'm glad I found this thread. It explains why I had previously been approved for Ink Cash on my SP a few years back without a problem (since my SSN was used), but was shocked to be flat out declined last week on an Ink Unlimited for my newly formed LLC (and EIN) due to the business being too new, especially since it's not a super premium card.

Last edited by Saidoh; Jun 7, 2020 at 1:31 pm
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:37 am

Chase is now extremely stringent in issuing cc

On top of this thread it states that:
"In April 2020 Chase criteria for approving BUSINESS card applications have become more stringent."

That's an understatement imho. It should state: EXTREMELY STRINGENT and invasive, Root Canal invasive, and there is no anesthetic!

It was for the United Explorer 60K after 3K spend.
And it was for NO NEW credit, just a reallocation from an Ink card.

Originally was denied, reason was: applied for credit in the past 3 mos, a pretty flimsy excuse!
Chase has my life story in their files!!!
After call, it was approved but only for reallocation, and AFTER spending almost an hour on the phone, but was not required to submit/fax any docs.
And I have a business and personal bank/credit card accounts with Chase for over 30 years.

First time I had to go thru this nonsense. Always get auto approved immediately or within a week or so.
It went thru the full Patriot Act invasive! And the rep actually mentioned the Patriot Act a couple of times!

Keep in mind that under the Act if you submit not valid info knowingly or not, in this or similar bank/financial applications like mortgage you can be subjected to a Federal crime accusation.

Read this and the other data posts above and be prepared for a pretty invasive procedure.
Not so sure this was worth it!

But, it doesn't look and feel like Chase is looking for new customers.
Good luck to all who may subject themselves to this!
Boraxo and ferrari_fan like this.

Last edited by jimbous; Jun 11, 2020 at 11:53 am
Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Also, I applied for the Amex BBP after being turned down for the IBU. Amex approved shortly after, primarily via reallocation of available credit on another personal card, plus an additional $2k. I received a letter in the mail a few days later notifying me of this. So if Amex is able to do it, I don't understand why Chase is being so rigid and couldn't reallocate some available credit from my IBC when I offered it during our conversation.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:31 pm

A lot of it has to do with Chase's policy to not report the credit history of the business cards. They do it only if an account is delinquent/in bad standing. Also there is potential for abuse due to various programs the govt has come up with during Pandemic. It is all about risk mitigation and I don't see things changing until the economy stabilizes, which could be a long ways away.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The rationale for the policy change remains to be seen. Many banks have tightened credit due to the economic conditions. As WSJ reported most balance transfer offers have dried up for this reason and other banks are reducing credit limits.

But it is also possible Chase has decided to eliminate churners who don’t have real small businesses or a need for a business card. Similar to implementation of the 5/24 rule.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

other banks are reducing credit limits.
Not just "other" banks:

Is Chase reducing credit limits for no fault of the cardholder?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:29 pm

But it is also possible Chase has decided to eliminate churners who don’t have real small businesses or a need for a business card. Similar to implementation of the 5/24 rule.
There're way easier way to eliminate churners, and also, while the banks likely lose money on churners it's not nearly as bad as having real business owners default on $50k of credit card debt.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:03 am

DP on Denial of CIP

I got a recent auto-denial of CIP due to "business structure". Applied as a sole prop. I'm a Chase Private Client with 800+ credit score. They also recently lowered one of my personal credit card lines from 32k to 16k. So I think they're reviewing existing account as well.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LtWaldo
I got a recent auto-denial of CIP due to "business structure". Applied as a sole prop
Did you apply using a "company" name, or only your legal First and Last name with no other words?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:20 pm

Looks like the links for business card applications have been pulled, and only personal currently remain?

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sou...sF20?CELL=6RHZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.