Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (April 2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
In April 2020 Chase criteria for approving BUSINESS card applications have become more stringent. All Chase INK products are business cards. Chase also issues co-branded business cards for United Airlines and Southwest Airlines.

Chase business cards are subject to the 5/24 restriction. Approval of a Chase business application has not increased the N/24 count, but there are a few reports in the 4th quarter of 2022 that this may have changed, review THIS thread. There will always be some uncertainty, because 5/24 is an unpublished rule which Chase can modify without notice or explanation.

For general information about applying for Chase cards, including explanation of the unpublished 5/24 rule, please review the Wikipost of the PERSONAL card thread: HERE

Anyone can apply for a business card as a sole proprietor. If your business has a registered company name, which Chase can verify, you may use the name to apply. Otherwise, use your legal First and Last name as the business name. Do not add any extra words, do not use a made up name. If Chase cannot verify the name the application will fail.

Useful Chase telephone numbers
(888) 269-8690 - Business Credit Card Application Status Line, automated
(800) 453-9719 – Business Credit Card Reconsideration Line with live rep
(800) 453-9719 – Credit Reallocation Office (Business cards)
(888) 622-7547 – Executive Offices

Twitter: @ChaseSupport

Note: In the past, automated telephone status reports stating that Chase would notify you in 2 weeks often resulted in an approval, whereas the "7-10 days" telephone recording often indicated imminent denial. In 2016, this pattern became increasingly unpredictable, with many applicants receiving approval despite an earlier "7-10 days" automated telephone message. As a result, automated telephone responses should not be regarded as reliable indicators of an application's likely outcome.

?? Chase business credit cards [must / may] use [the same / a different] user name [as / from] personal cards. The same [applies / does not apply] to the e-mail address used. ??

Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (April 2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by EricUSC
After reading the recent comments in this thread, I was almost certain I was going to be denied, but I decided to try my luck with the Chase Ink Cash and was eventually approved.

An hour after applying, I received a phone call from Chase stating they needed to verify some information. Since I was not prepared for the interrogation call, I told the agent that I do not feel comfortable giving out personal information to an unfamiliar number, and that I will call back. She instructed me to call back at the number on the back of my existing Chase business card. In hindsight, I probably could have expedited the process had I prepared my interrogation call "cheat sheet" before applying for the card as I didn't expect the call to come so quickly.

I called back in a few hours, and after being passed around by two agents, I got to the correct agent, who told me the agent who initially called me declined my application because they have to work through a queue and make a decision at that moment regardless whether or not I respond to their questions. This agent said she can go over the questions to see if the decision can be overturned. Before she went through the questions, I told he that I am willing to move around existing credit to get this card opened. The questions she asked were almost identical to the ones listed here, so I'm glad I did my research and made a cheat sheet before calling: https://www.uponarriving.com/chase-business-recon

I do not wish to share the income/revenue, etc of my business on a public forum, but my business is pertaining to real estate rentals. The agent seemed impressed with my thorough answers and told me since I have lots of credit with Chase, I'd have to move credit over from other cards, which I was happy to do. My best advice to someone hoping to apply for a Chase business card during these difficult times is to prepare your responses to the Chase interrogation questions in the link above before you apply and mention that you are willing to move around existing credit before they have the chance to decline you (if you already have Chase business cards).
Do you have your rentals in an LLC? Wonder if that makes it easier to verify. My mom has her rentals in her name and they would not accept any documentation to reconsider.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:41 am

Applied on 11/26, got instant decline for ink cash

sole prop, in business for 4 years as rents property with 21k revenue. Previously had an ink bus preferred that I downgraded to an ink unlimited.

called recon twice, first said denied for business structure and wouldn’t listen to any explanations or further business details. 2nd recon just said it’s because it’s a sole prop which are riskier and they aren’t accepting sole props right now.

is there any reason to call again later?
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Do you have your rentals in an LLC? Wonder if that makes it easier to verify. My mom has her rentals in her name and they would not accept any documentation to reconsider.
Did she apply as a sole proprietor with her name as the name of the business? That makes things easier, as you know.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by philemer
Did she apply as a sole proprietor with her name as the name of the business? That makes things easier, as you know.
Yes, but with middle initial.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jvirgi
2nd recon just said it’s because it’s a sole prop which are riskier and they aren’t accepting sole props right now.
Based on this response (and all the recent datapoints) I'm going to skip the Chase business app when I cross back over the 5/24 line in December. No reason to waste an app when Chase is not issuing business cards to relatively new sole props.

Originally Posted by Beetlesauce
Also note - this is my 8th Chase card approved in last 17 months. Four personal and four biz. I opened and closed the SW performance biz card when $199 annual fee came due. Currently at 4/24 but will take a long break from Chase for a while.
I would never consider 8 cards <2 years from the same issuer but consider yourself fortunate that Chase has not shut you down completely.

Originally Posted by hurnik
Ironically they approved me for a new personal card without issue. I think it's just the business cards they're getting picky with right now. I'll wait until next year (falling under 5/24 again in December) or just shift my business over to Amex from now on.
Ditto. I'm planning a 4-card app-o-rama next month (4 different banks) including my first Chase personal card in 2+ years) but most of my spend has shifted to Amex which offers 2/$1 on everyday spend and great bonuses this year for grocery spend, etc. Chase has a great portfolio of travel cards but the bonuses have been limited and relatively paltry, and the perks almost entirely useless this year.

Last edited by mia; Nov 30, 2020 at 8:10 am Reason: Flyertalk rule 12.2
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by jvirgi
Applied on 11/26, got instant decline for ink cash

sole prop, in business for 4 years as rents property with 21k revenue. Previously had an ink bus preferred that I downgraded to an ink unlimited.

called recon twice, first said denied for business structure and wouldn’t listen to any explanations or further business details. 2nd recon just said it’s because it’s a sole prop which are riskier and they aren’t accepting sole props right now.

is there any reason to call again later?

open a business checking account with Chase,

I have rentals and 4 INK CARDS,

If they want to know anything the deposits will reflect it, you can also move credit card limits around,
tstauck likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
open a business checking account with Chase,

I have rentals and 4 INK CARDS,

If they want to know anything the deposits will reflect it, you can also move credit card limits around,
Were any of those Ink cards approved after April this year?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
Were any of those Ink cards approved after April this year?

No had them for several years, but it helped to have a business checking account,

They all have 5X at Staples, which helps with the flights to PEK for the flights to visit her mother"..
Old Nov 30, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by happychic
I just applied for the Chase Ink Cash credit card. Only had one new credit app in the last 24 months. 4 years in business, Sole proprietorship with my own SSN. No prior business credit card with Chase. Instant denial.

Called into recon line, she listed a few things:

"Business structure"
No way for them to see how my business is doing from my credit profile
Personal credit available too high
Number of active accounts too many

My response

I said that I could show her Schedule E of my business to show how it's doing and support the numbers
I can lower my Chase credit card limit, and even contact Amex and Citi to lower my personal credit limit with them
And my total credit limit available is 30% of my income as documented on W2

Her response

I can lower the credit card limit if I want but it may have no impact to their decision. They will not look at any external documentation except for the purpose of validating my identity with them.
She also pointed out that I applied for the IHG Premier card back in February. This was the only credit card application in the last 24 months.
Denial is firm.

Meh. I may call again after I get the official letter in the mail.

I called again today for recon. The agent could see that I had already called into recon previously, and stated once again that he could not see any credit info for my sole proprietorship business. He also said that I already have too much credit with Chase personal cards. FWIW my two Chase cards have combined credit of $9500. Credit score 810-ish, utilization usually around 2%. Credit history of almost 30 years. Have had my Chase Ritz card for about 4 years. Denial of my application stands.

ETA - I received the official rejection letter from Chase this evening. It states:

Our decision was based on the following reasons:
* Insufficient business credit information on file
* You have too many active accounts or too much available credit
----
It indicated that it pulled D&B for my business credit report, and Experian for my personal credit report (I am based in California).

I only have six active credit card accounts, two of them are with Chase. As for too much available credit... all the available personal credit is less than 30% of my W2 income. I honestly think Chase is a little gun shy at the moment about extending credit lines to Sole Proprietor businesses at the moment.
Boraxo and hurnik like this.

Last edited by happychic; Nov 30, 2020 at 7:39 pm Reason: Added info from official letter
Old Nov 30, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Based on this response (and all the recent datapoints) I'm going to skip the Chase business app when I cross back over the 5/24 line in December. No reason to waste an app when Chase is not issuing business cards to relatively new sole props.
Same for me. Was going to apply for the United Business card as the 75k offers ends today but decided against it. I noticed the personal card has a 70k offer currently and the benefits are about the same, so will apply for that sometime this week.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by tstauck
... Business card ... personal card ... benefits are about the same ...
A major “benefit” of business card(s), even Chase business cards, is NOT counting toward 5/24. That’s 98% of the reason(s) I apply for business cards when the business and personal cards are about the same.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
A major “benefit” of business card(s), even Chase business cards, is NOT counting toward 5/24. That’s 98% of the reason(s) I apply for business cards when the business and personal cards are about the same.
Yes, understand that and that's the main reason why I was going to apply for the United Business card first. But I'm seeing mostly denials posted above so passing on it at the moment. Will circle back to the Chase business cards next year.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by tstauck
Yes, understand that and that's the main reason why I was going to apply for the United Business card first. But I'm seeing mostly denials posted above so passing on it at the moment. Will circle back to the Chase business cards next year.
I recently applied for that card & was approved instantly.

Mind you, I did some judicious pruning beforehand:
  • closed one other Chase biz card (by N thousand)
  • reduced the credit line on my other Chase biz card by $1K
  • shaved ~$1K off one of my personal cards
Credit line on new card? $(N+1) K. Perhaps it's just superstition on my part, but I do think it's essential to groom one's Chase credit lines before any application, now more than ever before.
tstauck likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by beltway
I recently applied for that card & was approved instantly.

Mind you, I did some judicious pruning beforehand:
  • closed one other Chase biz card (by N thousand)
  • reduced the credit line on my other Chase biz card by $1K
  • shaved ~$1K off one of my personal cards
Credit line on new card? $(N+1) K. Perhaps it's just superstition on my part, but I do think it's essential to groom one's Chase credit lines before any application, now more than ever before.
Is your business LLC or Sole Proprietorship? Does it have an EIN?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by happychic
Is your business LLC or Sole Proprietorship? Does it have an EIN?
Sole proprietor applying using SSN.
happychic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.