Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase has an online form to use for cancellations. Login to your Chase account and click the link below:

https://travel.chase.com/customersupport/travel-alert-refunds

More info here (need to be logged in first):

https://travel.chase.com/service/#/articles/932/61/25635

Direct Cancellation line: 1(888)511-5326
Print Wikipost

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shmom
Update : Received all my Chase reward points back today.- all 151,000!

Quick background: Called Delta first on 3/6 to cancel, didn't even try with Chase. The Chase rep said they were able to refund those tickets (because with third party). Receipt showed all the monies were refunded back to Chase. My seat selection fee (for just main cabin) was shown as being refunded to my credit card. I received a cancellation email from Delta and Chase.

3/7 called Chase and got someone. They called Delta (both of us on hold for over an hour) to confirm that Delta refunded the tickets. The Chase rep told me I would get $$ on credit card vs. getting reward points back. I knew that was wrong.

3/11 got an email from Chase that points had been refunded back to my account.

Overall a much better outcome than with my husband's ticket that we are stuck with a big voucher which needs to be used by July.
Thanks for update the final result. Good to know all sorted out after the initial frustration.

Do you mind to give the breakdown of the 151,000 pts? That is not just the $2,200 DL tickets, right?

Agree this is a much better solution than the DL voucher your husband got.

It seems as long as you finally got someone on the phone and confirmed with the airline of the refund, the UR side then can process the refund in the system on the spot - the rep probably only saw the $ amount to enter, with no clue on it would translate to points when the system processed it (automatically). I am glad to see UR system come thru in this trying time.

The hard part remains to get thru the UR side, if your tickets are from US airlines. Our intra-EU tickets are from Swiss. I pretty much write it off because LH group's travel waiver remains atrocious, only one change of date only, no cancellation waiver. With Europe is falling down and Switzerland cannot get materials needed to fight the infection when its neighboring countries all putting ban on transportation movement and exports, I hope this would eventually change but with LH money grab mentality, they may remain atrocious!

Last edited by Happy; Mar 12, 2020 at 8:23 am
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xugator
Here was their tweet. Hello, thank you for reaching out to us. To be assisted with your concern, please call our Travel Team for help with the refund. You can call them at 1-866-418-8872 anytime. If you need additional support, please let us know. ^MG

I called and it seemed like a generic ultimate rewards number so I just called the travel number again instead

Finally got to speak with someone and they sounded absolutely clueless. Almost liked these people were hired in batches to deal with this corona surge. They claimed they will “process” my refund. So we will see if this ever manifests and transfers to my account
If you do not see the point refund, call back next week and request to talk to a US-based supervisor. Dont waste your time trying to explain to the front line reps - they are based in overseas call centers primarily Philippines IIRC. They are only trained to handle normal business. This is unusual time unusual business. You cannot expect the lowest tier reps would know what to do.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:54 pm

Wouldn't it just be easier to get with Chase, rather than have to go to the airline, get refunded and then have to call chase to verify for point bookings?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Wouldn't it just be easier to get with Chase,
Maybe. If you read this and the parallel threads in other credit card forums, yo'u see that the airlines' change and refund policies have been complex. The Expedia agents do not know those rules as well as the airlines' own agents, and it taken a great deal of patience to get individual flights changed or refunded. I expect that with wholesale cancellations it will become simpler.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by mia
Maybe. If you read this and the parallel threads in other credit card forums, yo'u see that the airlines' change and refund policies have been complex. The Expedia agents do not know those rules as well as the airlines' own agents, and it taken a great deal of patience to get individual flights changed or refunded. I expect that with wholesale cancellations it will become simpler.
I have been trying to reach Ultimate Rewards to cancel a reservation (JFK-AUS) on American that I bought with a combination of (mostly) UR points and (some) cash. Needless to say, it has been impossible to reach them. Even when I have been able to (twice), the agents are unable to help because of systems not functioning properly.

Is it suggested that one contacts the airline to cancel, even though they specify they won't be able to handle reservations made with other travel portals? Have people had better luck deal ing directly with airlines? Point might be moot, since I have simultaneously been calling American Airlines, but soon as I select "Cancel Reservation", the recording thanks me for my patience and asks me to call later. That's how it has been for about 24 hours now.

My flight is on Sunday morning. Any suggestions on how to get in touch with either Chase Ultimate Rewards or AA. I have tweeted, DM'd and sent emails to both already.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:07 am

I have been trying to reach the Chase Travel CS and I just keep getting disconnect either immediately or after 20 min of silence. Anyone have any other numbers to reach them?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
At a minimum I would contact Chase customer service, notify them that you are unable to contact Chase Travel (Expedia), and mention that you have time-sensitive transactions.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AMEX plat
I tried to cancel a flight that has now already flown -- I could not cancel through the Chase UR portal through which I originally booked (clicking the cancel button merely pulled up the chat) and could not cancel through United since it was booked through Chase UR. I have been calling Chase Ultimate Rewards on and off for the past 4 days and have never reached a person -- I have been on hold up to 2 hours, and invariably the call is cut off. Sometimes the call is cut off after only 10 minutes. All chats and messages have been answered with the same delayed automated reply with a phone number which is never answered. I understand that there are unusually heavy call volumes, but the lack of any other avenue -- email, online -- is ridiculous.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
I have been trying to reach Ultimate Rewards to cancel a reservation (JFK-AUS) on American that I bought with a combination of (mostly) UR points and (some) cash. Needless to say, it has been impossible to reach them. Even when I have been able to (twice), the agents are unable to help because of systems not functioning properly.

Is it suggested that one contacts the airline to cancel, even though they specify they won't be able to handle reservations made with other travel portals? Have people had better luck deal ing directly with airlines? Point might be moot, since I have simultaneously been calling American Airlines, but soon as I select "Cancel Reservation", the recording thanks me for my patience and asks me to call later. That's how it has been for about 24 hours now.

My flight is on Sunday morning. Any suggestions on how to get in touch with either Chase Ultimate Rewards or AA. I have tweeted, DM'd and sent emails to both already.

Many thanks.
Keep trying to chat with, tweet and DM American; and take screen shots of all communication -- there might be a small possibility that American might handle the cancellation even though it was not booked directly. At the least you will have documentation that you tried every avenue in attempting to cancel your booking in a timely fashion.
I have similarly been unable to reach Chase UR even after 4 days of trying, and the flight is now 3 days in the past. I also tried contacting United, and they finally answered my tweets and said they canceled the flight. I haven't been able to confirm that or reach United again, but at least I have something to show Chase UR when I finally reach them.
Good luck.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by QuoVadi
I tried to cancel a flight that has now already flown -- I could not cancel through the Chase UR portal through which I originally booked (clicking the cancel button merely pulled up the chat) and could not cancel through United since it was booked through Chase UR. I have been calling Chase Ultimate Rewards on and off for the past 4 days and have never reached a person -- I have been on hold up to 2 hours, and invariably the call is cut off. Sometimes the call is cut off after only 10 minutes. All chats and messages have been answered with the same delayed automated reply with a phone number which is never answered. I understand that there are unusually heavy call volumes, but the lack of any other avenue -- email, online -- is ridiculous.
You should have still been able to cancel through united if you had your flight confirm I believe. But I'm afraid that may lock you into a "store credit" to be completed by Dec 31 rather than getting your UR back.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:59 pm

We're thinking of canceling a domestic UA flight in late March, paid mostly with UR points. If we keep it simple and just click "Cancel flight" on the UR listing, should that work with UA's current waiver, letting us keep the ticket value for whenever we feel right to travel? Or even cancel on the UA site? Or suppose we wait longer to see if the flight is cancelled and ask for a refund: would we then need to work with Chase Travel to see it credited correctly to us, with the mix of UR and money? As I understand the waiver rules, it isn't an option to cancel for a refund, as long as the flight isn't cancelled.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
You should have still been able to cancel through united if you had your flight confirm I believe. But I'm afraid that may lock you into a "store credit" to be completed by Dec 31 rather than getting your UR back.
I'd settle for just credit at this point -- the issue is that I'm not sure if I reached United in time. The cancel feature on the United portal did not work - it just brought up a message that I needed to cancel through my travel agent (i.e. Chase). I tweeted and DM'd United prior to the flight I wanted to cancel, but did not hear back from them until after the flight had already left.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
Originally Posted by QuoVadi
I'd settle for just credit at this point -- the issue is that I'm not sure if I reached United in time. The cancel feature on the United portal did not work - it just brought up a message that I needed to cancel through my travel agent (i.e. Chase). I tweeted and DM'd United prior to the flight I wanted to cancel, but did not hear back from them until after the flight had already left.
I've had the same experience that I can' get through to Chase Travel. Since Chase Travel uses Expedia to book now, is there a way to get through via Expedia? I tried to view my reservation online at Expedia.com as a "guest" but you need the itinerary number and email address used to make the reservation. I believe I have the itinerary number from the Chase site, but I don't know what email address Chase used. I may try calling Expedia next and playing dumb about where the reservation was booked and see if that works.
QuoVadi likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
Well, Expedia is completely down and isn't accepting calls right now, so there goes that idea
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
Flight at 6 AM tomorrow, wife decided tonight she didn't want to go.

First try calling Chase got hung up on immediately after pressing 5.
Second try, same.
Third try, got hold music for 10 minutes and disconnected.
Fourth (and final) try going now, just looped through their entire hold music soundtrack - 27 minutes. Beautiful Day (U2) probably not the ideal lead-off song at the moment....

Is it really that hard to allow online cancellation?
QuoVadi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.