Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 2, 20, 11:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Wiki Link
Chase has an online form to use for cancellations. Login to your Chase account and click the link below:

https://travel.chase.com/customersup...-alert-refunds

More info here (need to be logged in first):

https://travel.chase.com/service/#/a...s/932/61/25635

Direct Cancellation line: 1(888)511-5326
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 9, 20, 5:59 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
I had a Delta flight to AMS for three persons purchased on the portal and paid for entirely with points. I called Delta and got the tickets cancelled. Delta agreed to no change fee. She also told me that usually there is a $60 per ticket administrative fee to refund back to Chase. She agreed to waive that amount. Anyway, next thing that happened she realized she was able to cancel the tickets in full for a full refund. I received three emails in the next minute from Delta informing me the tickets were refunded. The receipt said 759 was refunded to CA xxxxx and then the 84 seat selection fee was refunded to my Amex.
The next day I called Chase as I was (and still am) somewhat nervous about my money floating around the world of Chase.
After finally getting someone on the line (who did not speak English very well) she said she needed to call Delta to confirm they refunded the money. So the two of us waited another hour on the line while she got a Delta person on the phone. Finally she came back and said she got confirmation that Delta refunded the money to me. The next part makes zero sense, she said "you will get the $2,200 refunded on your credit card" - but I had paid for the tickets with points. I don't think she knows what she is talking about. But now it has been 3 days and nothing. I did get the amex credit for the seat selection which is not supposed to be reimbursed in the first place.
Also my husband's ticket was purchased with delta amex and that one was given a voucher which has to be used within one year of issuance.
Finally, I had a KLM to cancel, I could only get that to work via cancelling on twitter. Seriously. On my app I have some ticket numbers which are apparently the vouchers. I called Delta and I can use those vouchers on their website.
I am going to call Chase back by Wed if I haven't seen points or money.
This has been terribly stressful and time consuming.
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xugator View Post
My refund was already processed and transmitted from AA back to chase for the amount of 500 dollars. Since I booked through chase , it’s their account that the refund originally goes back to. Hopefully chase will somehow pass this credit to me. Surely they wouldn’t just keep the money. Canceling is different than change. I think if you cancel then you get a future credit with the airline. If you simply are changing (free of charge) and the new fare is lower , you get a cash refund of the difference in fare. If you booked before March 1st your fare difference would have to eclipse the cost of the change fee because it’s not waived if booked before then.
You need to call UR to get a supervisor to find the refund at their side. The refund based on people's experiences in the past, would NOT be automatically back to your UR account. "Hopefully" is not an operative word here.

Why it is so hard for those who are affected to call UR and get a clear understanding on what would happen?
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carter29072 View Post
Yes, it is not a refundable fare but they told me that AA would issue two vouchers to be used within a year for $683 each. I asked them if I book a $300 per person ticket, what I would get. He told me another credit from the airline. He was so hard to understand. I didn't make any decision yet but would be curious if I would get the same answer if I HUCA this week.
This is AA specific. Each airline has its own refund policy on coronavirus affected cancellation. What DL or UA or any other airline does, do not mean AA will do the same thing.

On non-refundable tickets AA just waived the usual fee but instead of refunding the fare to original form of payment, AA would issue vouchers on the residual value, in this case since the change fee is waived, it then is the full fare value, in the form of voucher good to use within a year from the date the voucher is issued. This is just STANDARD PRACTICE with the only exception is the change fee being waived due to the travel waiver or the revised cancellation policy. The value of the fare does NOT get refunded to Chase therefore not to your UR account.

I have no clue what you talk about the $300 ticket - what difference does it make if both the original purchase and the now considering new (I assume) purchase? Both are nonrefundable fares, both will be handled the identical way - refund in the form of voucher minus change fee which now is waived.

You ONLY get the fare refunded to Chase card (then in turn to your UR account) when the fare is either a fully refundable class, or the flight is canceled by the airline therefore a full refund instead of a residual voucher, is issued.

In the case you described, the cancellation is from you, not from AA, unless I misread. Voucher, i.e. "credit", is what you will get.
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
same here. Spent over an hour and a half also on hold and then the call just disconnected
I am on my 3rd try for the day. 1st time was on hold for over an hour. Hold music cut out after around 40 minutes. Had to hang up to join a conference call. Tried a second time an was on hold for about 45 minutes and got disconnected. On 3rd call now and have been on hold for 25 minutes so far....
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
You need to call UR to get a supervisor to find the refund at their side. The refund based on people's experiences in the past, would NOT be automatically back to your UR account. "Hopefully" is not an operative word here.

Why it is so hard for those who are affected to call UR and get a clear understanding on what would happen?
It is hard because for one Chase is not answering their phones. If you do get a human after hours and hours of listening to terrible piped music and maybe an hour of dead silence, the person on the other end may not speak English very well or have any idea what they are doing. It is mind numbing the hours it takes to have a phone call with Chase during these last few weeks. I was told by Chase that my ticket I purchased all with points would be refunded entirely on my credit card - which makes zero sense since I didn't use my credit card for any of the transaction.
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shmom View Post
I had a Delta flight to AMS for three persons purchased on the portal and paid for entirely with points. I called Delta and got the tickets cancelled. Delta agreed to no change fee. She also told me that usually there is a $60 per ticket administrative fee to refund back to Chase. She agreed to waive that amount. Anyway, next thing that happened she realized she was able to cancel the tickets in full for a full refund. I received three emails in the next minute from Delta informing me the tickets were refunded. The receipt said 759 was refunded to CA xxxxx and then the 84 seat selection fee was refunded to my Amex.
The next day I called Chase as I was (and still am) somewhat nervous about my money floating around the world of Chase.
After finally getting someone on the line (who did not speak English very well) she said she needed to call Delta to confirm they refunded the money. So the two of us waited another hour on the line while she got a Delta person on the phone. Finally she came back and said she got confirmation that Delta refunded the money to me. The next part makes zero sense, she said "you will get the $2,200 refunded on your credit card" - but I had paid for the tickets with points. I don't think she knows what she is talking about. But now it has been 3 days and nothing. I did get the amex credit for the seat selection which is not supposed to be reimbursed in the first place.
Also my husband's ticket was purchased with delta amex and that one was given a voucher which has to be used within one year of issuance.
Finally, I had a KLM to cancel, I could only get that to work via cancelling on twitter. Seriously. On my app I have some ticket numbers which are apparently the vouchers. I called Delta and I can use those vouchers on their website.
Chase UR will convert the $ value to the equivalent points (that you used) back to your account but that will take some time, often weeks even in the normal time per people's experiences in the past. You would need to follow up, and try to talk to a US based supervisor instead.

Actually based on your description of the DL and KLM experiences, you fare a lot better than many others I heard about.

Personally I have LX tickets that LX refused to handle directly with me because it was booked thru "travel agency". Chase US-based supervisor did call LX but was told the travel waiver was only up to Mar 31 (that was last week), when our travel date is May 6th, so nothing could be done right now. On LX it now said there is one time change for travel up to Apr 30, but the Origin and Destination must stay the same. Of course that would not work. I will wait till the travel waiver extend to cover our dates then call UR again to hope for better luck.

LH group (LH, LX and OS) has the WORST travel waivers related to coronavirus.
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is hard because for one Chase is not answering their phones. If you do get a human after hours and hours of listening to terrible piped music and maybe an hour of dead silence, the person on the other end may not speak English very well or have any idea what they are doing. It is mind numbing the hours it takes to have a phone call with Chase during these last few weeks. I was told by Chase that my ticket I purchased all with points would be refunded entirely on my credit card - which makes zero sense since I didn't use my credit card for any of the transaction.
It is the unusual time. Not much you can do. Same applies to the airlines and the cruise lines.

When you got the front line rep telling you something not making sense, ask to be transferred to a US-based supervisor but be prepared for long wait or phone got disconnected during the long wait on transfer. Again, it is the unusual time. The added layer of UR is always hard even at the best of time, and with current situation, it is getting much harder. I dont know what you can expect.

Unless you need the points desperately for something else immediately, you may be better off to wait a while to sort out things. Eventually it will sort out, just not to your liking of the timely manner but that is the price you pay by using UR to save money instead of booking directly with the providers on something that normally is non-refundable.
Old Mar 9, 20, 8:15 pm

Chase UR

I looked all over on the ultimate reward travel page and there doesn’t seem to be a chat or even an email option. Only option is the phone number with infinite wait times. Do chat or email options exist for UR travel related questions ? I tried regular chase from my reserve card and they just transferred me back to the 2 hour queue.
Old Mar 9, 20, 8:21 pm

I looked all over on the ultimate reward travel page and there doesn’t seem to be a chat or even an email option. Only option is the phone number with infinite wait times. Do chat or email options exist for UR travel related questions ? I tried regular chase from my reserve card and they just transferred me back to the 2 hour queue.
I have seen a bunch of people contact chase support via twitter. It is pretty depressing seeing all the posts of 3:00 plus hour phone waits. Chase generally tweets back for them to send a private message. That would make me pretty nervous - but I had to cancel a KLM flight via twitter. The US phone line couldn't cancel flights booked online. Go figure.
Old Mar 9, 20, 8:36 pm

I have seen a bunch of people contact chase support via twitter. It is pretty depressing seeing all the posts of 3:00 plus hour phone waits. Chase generally tweets back for them to send a private message. That would make me pretty nervous - but I had to cancel a KLM flight via twitter. The US phone line couldn't cancel flights booked online. Go figure.
I tweeted them earlier and they sent me a phone and asked that I please call the travel team.
Old Mar 9, 20, 8:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
I have what appears to be a similar ticket bought with UR points for a flight scheduled for Thursday to depart from BHM on DL (KL code share) for ATL, then connecting to KL to AMS and on to DUB. Return is booked on DL from LHR/ATL and then back to BHM, but under KL codeshare. I am on hold with Chase/Expedia for the 3rd time today, now for almost 90 minutes. It looks like I can cancel the itinerary online via the DL website but this is a nonrefundable fare so I guess I will end up with a DL credit (the ticket was issued under 006 so DL) some way of the other. Did you book a refundable fare or was there something which caused DL to agree to refund the entire fare. I would hangup and try again tomorrow but I do have a cancel anytime travel insurance policy which required me to cancel 2 days before travel. I supposed I can do it tomorrow before departure time but I'd really like to get it done tonight. I hate to hang up after waiting 90 minutes. I also sent a tweet/DM to Chase but no response from them either. No idea what Delta hold times are now.

I understand its a difficult situation but this is incredibly frustrating.
Old Mar 10, 20, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
I have what appears to be a similar ticket bought with UR points for a flight scheduled for Thursday to depart from BHM on DL (KL code share) for ATL, then connecting to KL to AMS and on to DUB. Return is booked on DL from LHR/ATL and then back to BHM, but under KL codeshare. I am on hold with Chase/Expedia for the 3rd time today, now for almost 90 minutes. It looks like I can cancel the itinerary online via the DL website but this is a nonrefundable fare so I guess I will end up with a DL credit (the ticket was issued under 006 so DL) some way of the other. Did you book a refundable fare or was there something which caused DL to agree to refund the entire fare. I would hangup and try again tomorrow but I do have a cancel anytime travel insurance policy which required me to cancel 2 days before travel. I supposed I can do it tomorrow before departure time but I'd really like to get it done tonight. I hate to hang up after waiting 90 minutes. I also sent a tweet/DM to Chase but no response from them either. No idea what Delta hold times are now.

I understand its a difficult situation but this is incredibly frustrating.
my flight was nonrefundable sdf-atl-ams return through Detroit. Leaving end of March coming back early April. I called Delta directly because I had called them in February before all this to change to go through ATL vs. DTW because I wanted to be in a 2-4-2 seating. Delta was able to make that change in February I think because they had changed the planes on my original flight. Anyway, all on Delta.
I fully expected and was asking for voucher for the flight. But she said "oh, when I put it through it processed as a refund". My husband's ticket which was paid for in cash directly through Delta could only be processed as a voucher. So I don't know if you buy through third party that you do get a refund vs. a voucher. Appeared that way to me. Another tidbit. When I switched flights I had to pay $84 per person for main cabin seats. Generally those are not refundable but she was able to get that included - so I did get the 85x3 already refunded on my credit card. I used skymiles to pay for my husband's seat (about 8,000) and they spent about 20 minutes and ended up manually refunding those skymiles.
I had also upgraded on one leg to C+ for not much money so I didn't even try and get that back.
Old Mar 10, 20, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tweeted them earlier and they sent me a phone and asked that I please call the travel team.
What is that number they give? Is it the same number shown on UR website?

Did you get thru that number easier than the normal number if it is different?
Old Mar 10, 20, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
What is that number they give? Is it the same number shown on UR website?

Did you get thru that number easier than the normal number if it is different?
Here was their tweet. Hello, thank you for reaching out to us. To be assisted with your concern, please call our Travel Team for help with the refund. You can call them at 1-866-418-8872 anytime. If you need additional support, please let us know. ^MG

I called and it seemed like a generic ultimate rewards number so I just called the travel number again instead

Finally got to speak with someone and they sounded absolutely clueless. Almost liked these people were hired in batches to deal with this corona surge. They claimed they will “process” my refund. So we will see if this ever manifests and transfers to my account
Old Mar 11, 20, 2:33 pm

Update : Received all my Chase reward points back today.- all 151,000!

Quick background: Called Delta first on 3/6 to cancel, didn't even try with Chase. The Chase rep said they were able to refund those tickets (because with third party). Receipt showed all the monies were refunded back to Chase. My seat selection fee (for just main cabin) was shown as being refunded to my credit card. I received a cancellation email from Delta and Chase.

3/7 called Chase and got someone. They called Delta (both of us on hold for over an hour) to confirm that Delta refunded the tickets. The Chase rep told me I would get $$ on credit card vs. getting reward points back. I knew that was wrong.

3/11 got an email from Chase that points had been refunded back to my account.

Overall a much better outcome than with my husband's ticket that we are stuck with a big voucher which needs to be used by July.
Happy likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: