Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase has an online form to use for cancellations. Login to your Chase account and click the link below:

https://travel.chase.com/customersupport/travel-alert-refunds

More info here (need to be logged in first):

https://travel.chase.com/service/#/articles/932/61/25635

Direct Cancellation line: 1(888)511-5326
Print Wikipost

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:15 pm

Just called back and got an agent immediately. I told him my ticket was eligible for a refund per AA website and I wanted that processed. He did it with no problems. I'm getting my CC refunded and points credited back.

Just checked and points are already credited.
mia and Happy like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
Thanks everyone for your advice.
I called Chase Travel and waited on the phone for about 20 minutes.
I told them my flight shows as cancelled/disappeared on AA web.
I asked if they could expedite the redepositing my Ultimate Rewards points into my Chase account as the flights also show as cancelled on the Chase Travel (Trips) web site.
She said that even though it shows on the Chase site she will need to contact AA directly.
She spent about 15 minutes speaking with AA (probably getting the funds returned to the Chase credit card MC)
She then said she will work on getting the Ultimate Rewards points back to my account.
She came back on the phone with me every 2 minutes during this process.
She completed everything and told me due to the "latency" in their system it would take an hour for their system to update so I could see the points in my account.
She sent me a detailed email showing all was done.

SO, please call Chase Travel and wait on line as they are very aware of how to fix everything.
Good job Chase!
Happy and JaysonW like this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:31 am

On May 10, I have a United flight to Europe booked with a combination of UR points and cash. It looks like United just canceled this flight as this morning I received the following email from Chase Travel.

We have issued an airline credit for your flight You are receiving this email as either your airline has cancelled your flight, or it was noted that you did not take your trip as scheduled because of the current situation related to COVID-19. No need to call us, we've got you covered. Your safety and peace of mind are of utmost importance to us, and we want to let you know we have issued an airline credit for your flight.

All the details of your airline credit, such as traveler name, amount, and expiration date, will be emailed to you in a confirmation email that you will receive soon.
Of course, an airline credit is not what I want. I tried calling their 24 hour toll-free number, but I get a message that the office is closed. I guess I'll wait to see the followup email that they promised to send and then contact them and request a full refund instead of a credit. Unfortunately I also had seat assignments bought directly from United, so I'll need to contact them separately.

Last edited by ordx; Apr 11, 2020 at 6:52 am
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
I booked a trip using Chase UR points. I was scheduled to travel April 2-7th and I needed to cancel because of the coronavirus. i went back and forth between Chase and AA and got told so many different things (this was approximately 2 weeks ago). Finally AA told me that I had 2 voucher with them worth about $687 each. I found another flight for September for both of us that was only $315 roundtrip. When I called, they were trying to charge me more than what I could book the flight online. Although we had 2 vouchers, we were told that I had to call in and book it. After insisting, the supervisor booked my flights for September for $315 total each and told me that I would get an email with the remainder $ in a voucher. I did receive emails with the amount of the vouchers but these aren't e-vouchers with PIN numbers so I will have to book another trip with the remainder amount. Now that the airlines are issuing refunds, would I be eligible to get a refund for the remainder? Thanks for any info.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
We purchased RT tickets BOS-LHR-BOSi n PE on Virgin Atlantic departing April 15, 2020 and returning April 22 , 2020. This was booked through Chase URs. I checked Chase online and it indicates thee flights have been canceled. I never received any email , so I called Chase to see if a refund was being processed. They tome VS was not refunding cancelled tickets but giving a travel credit, for travel on the same itinerary, same passengers, however, we would have to pay the difference in fare and had to complete travel by Feb 7, 2021, as we booked in Feb 2020. I checked VS policy (as well as the thread over on the VS forum) and VS are allowing rebooking until May 31, 2022 and they are also refunding tickets. Does Chase/Expedia have different terms than those for tickets booked directly with an airline?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Follow up from above. I called back and got a much better representative. He contacted VS and was given instructions on how to apply for a refund. He emailed them the request and it will be 90 days for VS to process.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:35 pm

My daughter has a prepaid hotel reservation in Tokyo during what was to be the 2020 Olympics. She booked on the Chase Travel website in July 2019 and paid with her CSP card (not points). After the Olympics were rescheduled to 2021, hotel responded by email that she could cancel and get a refund. When she looks at "Trips" on the Chase website, with one exception, it does not show her itinerary. She has a Chase itinerary and hotel confirmation numbers. The chase website has been intermittent and one time only, the itinerary showed. When calling the travel number, when asked to enter the itinerary number, it seems to find it, but since it is not within 72 hours, it hangs up. We are able to get a phone readback of the reservation details and they seem correct. Any suggestions how to get this refund started? Is Chase travel reachable by chase secure message or email?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jc719
.... Is Chase travel reachable by chase secure message or email?
No Chase Travel is outsourced to Expedia. I expect that as the backlog of cancellations is cleared the 72 hour restrictions will be relaxed.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:40 am

I had a flight scheduled with AA to fly out by the end of April purchased with UR points. Chase emailed me last week that the flight was cancelled with the following refund statement: "Based on the policy of the airline, your itinerary is for Future Travel Credit. The validity of the ticket is until 31st December 2020."

I wanted my UR points back instead of travel credit, so I called Chase yesterday and was on the phone with them for an hour. The Chase rep said that the travel credit refund was the AA policy, and there was nothing they could do about it, but for me to call AA to get the UR points/cash refund instead of travel credit. I then called AA, and the AA rep said that I should have been able to get a UR points/cash refund, but the travel agent (Chase/Expedia) chose the wrong option (selecting travel credit instead of UR points/cash) when processing the refund.

Anyone else go through the same thing or thoughts on how I can resolve this?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by ordx
On May 10, I have a United flight to Europe booked with a combination of UR points and cash. It looks like United just canceled this flight as this morning I received the following email from Chase Travel.

Of course, an airline credit is not what I want. I tried calling their 24 hour toll-free number, but I get a message that the office is closed. I guess I'll wait to see the followup email that they promised to send and then contact them and request a full refund instead of a credit. Unfortunately I also had seat assignments bought directly from United, so I'll need to contact them separately.
Just to follow up. I called both Chase/Expedia and United today to get refunds. Chase took about 20 minutes total. The UR points were added back to my account immediately and I was told the cash usually arrives in 7 to 10 days, although it may take longer. I then spent about 40 minutes on the phone with United to get the seat reservations refunded. Most of that time was waiting for a supervisor to approve the cash refund. Again I was told the cash would take 7 to 10 days to be deposited in my credit card account. But all in all, it was much less trouble than I anticipated.
Happy likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An observation that might help those still have active flight bookings that will most likely be canceled in coming days -

You SHOULD monitor your itinerary on the airline's website, EVERYDAY. As soon as you see your booking is canceled by the airline - immediately contact the airline to opt for cash refund instead of waiting an email from Chase to tell you your flight is canceled...

A friend's UA flight LAX to PPT was not canceled until after midnight on the next afternoon departure - before that he even received UA email to check in (within the 24 hours period). He then called UA, and was able to get the refund processed with a confirmation email - which he decided to wait a bit before contact UR due to long time wait on phone. He has the proof from UA that the tickets were refunded to the original form of payment, hence he felt he did not need to be hurry.

But for those who do not monitor their upcoming flights, and then flights canceled, triggered an email from Expedia (Chase UR), it seems indeed the default option is an airline credit which most people probably dont want at this point.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Post title needs updating to clarify refunds of UR points and not tickets paid for in cash.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:50 pm
mia

Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
Post title needs updating to clarify refunds of UR points and not tickets paid for in cash
I don't know why one would book travel through Chase Travel with money, but if you did, and if you have a question about a refund, this would seem to be the place to post it.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by mia; Apr 15, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:54 am

The troubling aspect of this is that the itinerary doesn't show up at all on the Chase Travel website. The phone bot can find it, however. Without the website, no email contact, and since the phone bot won't proceed based on the date, I'm not sure where to go.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:17 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jc719
Without the website, no email contact, and since the phone bot won't proceed based on the date, I'm not sure where to go.
Why do you need to do this now, rather than waiting until nearer the date of travel?
Happy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.