AMEX Gold competitor?

Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

AMEX Gold competitor?

I am kinda answering my own question, but it seems Chase is lacking a true card that competes 1-1 with the AMEX Gold.
For one, Chase has NO card that offers a high bonus 24/7 on grocery spend and the CSR only goes to 3x on dining (compared to 4x on the AMEX Gold). In short, Chase is seriously lacking in this regard.
Any reason why? Will Chase come up with a true AMEX Gold competitor in the near future?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I am kinda answering my own question, but it seems Chase is lacking a true card that competes 1-1 with the AMEX Gold.
For one, Chase has NO card that offers a high bonus 24/7 on grocery spend and the CSR only goes to 3x on dining (compared to 4x on the AMEX Gold). In short, Chase is seriously lacking in this regard.
Any reason why? Will Chase come up with a true AMEX Gold competitor in the near future?
My guess is chase might be bumping up the csp annual fee due to the new lyft and doordash benefits or they actually might come out with a new card in the middle between csr and csp to compete with amex....but we will see.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Chase had the ability to respond with changes to CSR and CSP, and they decided to add a 5x/10x Lyft bonus. It seems unlikely Chase has an interest in introducing significantly higher multipliers at this time.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Chase had the ability to respond with changes to CSR and CSP, and they decided to add a 5x/10x Lyft bonus. It seems unlikely Chase has an interest in introducing significantly higher multipliers at this time.
Far fetched perhaps, but maybe Chase is not allowed to copy AMEX 1-1? Patent a/o Trademark issues?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:52 pm

Far fetched perhaps, but maybe Chase is not allowed to copy AMEX 1-1? Patent a/o Trademark issues?
chase prefers millenials who eat out at restaurants (so no grocery). amex likes groceries (EDP/BCP lines have grocery categories)
chase 3x points "cash out" via travel portal at 4.5% while amex 4x is 5% (if you jump thru hoops)

why have a rat race to compete for the same customers? slight overlap and non-overlap, same reason why airbus and boeing don't truly compete in the same category (they overlap)

chase doesn't have anything to match amex plat/centurion either
DiMAn0684 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Just my guess, but I don't believe Chase has an interest in having a large bonus in another major category. The CC issuers are looking to drive more everyday spend.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by mistuhxjz
My guess is chase might be bumping up the csp annual fee due to the new lyft and doordash benefits or they actually might come out with a new card in the middle between csr and csp to compete with amex....but we will see.
I don't think so. $100 is likely a mental barrier for a lot of card holders, that's why you see all entry level travel cards (CSP, TY Premier, BoA Premium Rewards, Cap1 Venture) annual fees hoover around that mark. Amex Gold already had $195 AF even before the increase, so IMO wasn't in the same group to begin with.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About a quarter of the time Chase outdoes Amex. They seem to be content with that.

Ie, Chase may give 5x on restaurants for one quarter a year and/or 5x on groceries for one quarter a year with Freedom's rotating categories.

There's other things Chase doesn't copy. They don't provide "the broadest definition of travel" in a 3x travel category on a $95 AF card, the way Citi does. They don't provide a no-AF 2x on everything card the way Citi does on the personal side (DoubleCash) and Amex does on the business side (Blue Business Plus).

So the point is that each bank decides what it wants to do, and there's history of only very sporadic copying between banks (like Chase copying Discover's 5x rotating category concept).
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Chase may give 5x on restaurants for one quarter a year and/or 5x on groceries for one quarter a year with Freedom's rotating categories.
When was the last time restaurants was a bonus category on Freedom? I have had the card for over two years now and don't ever remember seeing that.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
When was the last time restaurants was a bonus category on Freedom? I have had the card for over two years now and don't ever remember seeing that.
Q3, 2017.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:37 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
When was the last time restaurants was a bonus category on Freedom?
This list shows it in every year 2012 - 2017. That's when the list ends. Need to look elsewhere for 2018 and 2019.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Q3, 2017.
Originally Posted by mia
This list shows it in every year 2012 - 2017. That's when the list ends. Need to look elsewhere for 2018 and 2019.
Thanks. Can't help but notice the difference pre-CSR to post CSR. I'm guessing this category doesn't come back anytime soon, although I would love to be wrong.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I think the Chase Sapphire preferred is their main competition to Amex Gold. They don't match the benefits exactly but they do offer some benefits(such as trip protection, primary rental car insurance) that Amex Gold doesn't.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I think the Chase Sapphire preferred is their main competition to Amex Gold. They don't match the benefits exactly but they do offer some benefits(such as trip protection, primary rental car insurance) that Amex Gold doesn't.
Chase may say that, but AmEx has room for 2 personal cards between their $95 and $550 cards, while Chase has none.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:37 pm

I agree Chase is probably looking to launch a new mid-tier card, although Sapphire Preferred could already be considered that card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.