Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

What will I get or not if I use Chase UR for Marriott Bonvoy direct booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP

I am Marriott Bonvoy Titanium.

If I use Chase UR through the portal to book a room will I get any of the benefits of Titanium? It's the late checkout I am most interested in but would like to get the full picture of what points, nights, status benefits I would get. I get mixed answers when I use the Google. The FAQ says not but it also says not for airline either and thats not been my experience with United through the portal.

Would be interested to hear from those with recent experience.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:59 am

You should still receive your status benefits, just make sure the reservation is attached to your Bonvoy account. Booking through portal just means Expedia is making the payment via their Mastercard. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:25 am

If I'm not mistaken, a 'direct' booking is one that is made on the Marriott website or via any other Marriott-provided channel. Booking through the UR portal (which is Expedia) wouldn't be a direct booking.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kpfleming
If I'm not mistaken, a 'direct' booking is one that is made on the Marriott website or via any other Marriott-provided channel. Booking through the UR portal (which is Expedia) wouldn't be a direct booking.
This is why I am confused. I often book Marriott through Egencia and still get all of the points and benefits. It's mostly the benefits I am interested in for this scenario but the points\nights would be a bonus.

I know when I get stranded by an airline and they pay for a Marriott I don't even get the benefits.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
.... I often book Marriott through Egencia and still get all of the points and benefits.
Booking through your corporate travel agent is not the same as booking through Expedia or Priceline.

Read:

Denied all Elite Benefits due to Online Travel Agent Booking

Elite benefits if booked via 3rd party?

Also, bear in mind that many hotels are franchises. There is less consistency that when dealing with an airline. If you are recognized by sight at a specific property you may receive better treatment than required by Marriott's terms.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Booking through your corporate travel agent is not the same as booking through Expedia or Priceline.

Read:

Denied all Elite Benefits due to Online Travel Agent Booking

Elite benefits if booked via 3rd party?

Also, bear in mind that many hotels are franchises. There is less consistency that when dealing with an airline. If you are recognized by sight at a specific property you may receive better treatment than required by Marriott's terms.
Egencia IS Expedia but nonetheless I am specifically asking how it behaves when using the Chase UR portal to book a Marriott hotel. Has anyone actually seen how it behaves?

I have in the past booked United flights using Chase UR through the portal and received all the PQM, PQD and status benefits.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I have in the past booked United flights using Chase UR through the portal and received all the PQM, PQD and status benefits.
This is normal, but the hotel business is different.

Egencia is a corporate travel agency which is owned by Expedia Group, but it is not the same business as expedia.com. Hotels have different contracts with various categories of travel agencies. Expedia, and the portals they operate for companies like Chase and American Express, are Online Travel Agencies, and the hotel chains generally exclude their bookings from rewards and benefits. Examples are not definitive because the properties are franchised.

Here are the relevant Bonvoy terms:

2.1.f Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:

i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com; or

ii. The guest room was booked at a group rate as part of an event, meeting, conference or organized tour, and the Member does not directly pay the Participating Property for such room; or

iii. The guest room was booked at a tour operator, wholesaler, or crew room rate or package including, without limitation, Fam-Tastic® rates, Plan-Tastic® rates, travel industry rates and organized tours or package bookings; or

iv. The guest room was complimentary; or

v. A voucher or third-party award was redeemed for the guest room.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Ask the hotel. I had an expedia booking made by my company. The hotel honored breakfast and late checkout but I got no nights or points.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:29 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
You should still receive your status benefits, just make sure the reservation is attached to your Bonvoy account. Booking through portal just means Expedia is making the payment via their Mastercard. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
This is indeed wrong. Rates booked on the UR portal are not qualifying rates and are not eligible to earn points nor are they eligible for elite benefits.

Some hotels may extend some benefits anyway in certain situations but are not obligated to do so. For example the Marriott Marquis in Doha will give you benefits on the QR stopover bookings even though they aren't qualifying rates, but you still don't earn points/nights.
emma dog and RedSun like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:09 am

why do you want to book through the chase portal?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:02 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by zack14
why do you want to book through the chase portal?
Good question.

Some people earn so many UR and they want something easy. Or they can't find enough value elsewhere. So they redeem UR as cash value.

But in order to do it, they have to book it through Chase travel (Expedia?) portal. This is fine with airlines. But most hotels won't recognize the elite status when it is booked through OTA like Expedia. So you forego the elite status. This can be huge to some people, like club lounge, free breakfast and elite credit.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
This is indeed wrong. Rates booked on the UR portal are not qualifying rates and are not eligible to earn points nor are they eligible for elite benefits.

Some hotels may extend some benefits anyway in certain situations but are not obligated to do so. For example the Marriott Marquis in Doha will give you benefits on the QR stopover bookings even though they aren't qualifying rates, but you still don't earn points/nights.
Agreed. Someone knows UR well.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Egencia IS Expedia but nonetheless I am specifically asking how it behaves when using the Chase UR portal to book a Marriott hotel. Has anyone actually seen how it behaves?

You got these all confused.

Expedia has MANY different types of businesses under its banner. Your Egencia is the Expedia's corporate travel arm, that is completely different from Expedia the front that faces consumers as most people's impression of Expedia. Expedia has yet another type of business that is handling loyalty programs travel booking - UR is under that type of business.

For the records, you will NOT get any elite benefits nor credit of nights if you use UR pts - which to the eyes of the hotel, would be just a 3rd party booking, shown as booked thru Expedia, that is completely different from Egencia.

I understand you want to save $ due to the advertised 1.5x (be careful that may not materialize at that valuation). It boils down to whether you want to save $ or you want to earn night credit AND elite benefits. If it is an international property (lounge), then what you save in $ probably not even cover the benefits you lose. Domestically, if you dont care for the night credit, and the dismal elite recognition, then use UR might be good IF the price is not padded, so you save $.
RedSun likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:54 pm

I book AA through portal and I get the miles. I don't use portal for hotel chains only boutiques and BBs.

Am I missing something?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
You got these all confused.

Expedia has MANY different types of businesses under its banner. Your Egencia is the Expedia's corporate travel arm, that is completely different from Expedia the front that faces consumers as most people's impression of Expedia. Expedia has yet another type of business that is handling loyalty programs travel booking - UR is under that type of business.

For the records, you will NOT get any elite benefits nor credit of nights if you use UR pts - which to the eyes of the hotel, would be just a 3rd party booking, shown as booked thru Expedia, that is completely different from Egencia.

I understand you want to save $ due to the advertised 1.5x (be careful that may not materialize at that valuation). It boils down to whether you want to save $ or you want to earn night credit AND elite benefits. If it is an international property (lounge), then what you save in $ probably not even cover the benefits you lose. Domestically, if you dont care for the night credit, and the dismal elite recognition, then use UR might be good IF the price is not padded, so you save $.
Yes. Also I believe that, when you redeem with UR, you do not earn any reward points on hotel booking. So you forego the points from hotel purchase. This will further cut into the value of UR. It is less than 1.5 cpps and you also forego the hotel benefits and credit, as @Happy just said.

This is why I said several times that, there are better CCs that actually earn cash back. Like BofA biz cash card. It earns 5.25% cash back (top tier). You can get all that back as cash to your account. And you keep all the new hotel rewards points, status and benefits....

Cash is always the king. UR, TY and MR are not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.