Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel benefits if using travel advisor?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Travel benefits if using travel advisor?

If I am using a TA (booking cruise or tour w/ airfare perhaps) will I still get the travel benefits - trip cancellation, baggage delay or flight delay.... if not, I might another card to meet min spend.

Also, on same note, do bookings done through TAs considered as "travel" for earning points? I have always done bookings with OTA or directly with carrier so not sure about this one.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:32 am

Whenever I booked a cruise thru a TA (vacationtogo or costco travel), my credit card get charged directly by the cruise line not by the TA. I think it is the same with flights too. Now I don't know what happen if you buy a vacation package (flight,hotel,transport all in one)... haven't done that.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Make absolutely sure that the charge is made by the cruise line or airline or hotel and not the travel agent. If the agent charges you himself there's something wrong.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wripro
Make absolutely sure that the charge is made by the cruise line or airline or hotel and not the travel agent. If the agent charges you himself there's something wrong.
Thanks. Is that a normal procedure while using TAs?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:48 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Thanks. Is that a normal procedure while using TAs?
generally yes, it means the carrier is picking up the credit card fees rather than the agency.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
And you want to be sure the travel agnate sends you copies of the invoice from the provider, not from his agency.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You especially don't want the travel agent to book (without your consent) nonrefundable hotel rates for you but bill you for the regular refundable or even rack rate.....and you want confirmation of the reservation, including dates, room category, etc. from the hotel, including a confirmation number in the hotel's own system, not your travel agent's system.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Anything else to keep in mind while using TA? Would it be acceptable to ask for recommendations?

I have always been DIY sortta (leveraging miles/points as much as I can) person but talking to a TA this time to organize some tours/cruises. Do folks (generally) use TAs to avail better discounts or more personalized service? Just trying to gauge what are the best ways to get some value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.