FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase cards Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance benefits (2020-2023) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2003047-chase-cards-trip-cancellation-interruption-delay-insurance-benefits-2020-2023-a.html)

threeoh Dec 26, 2019 10:40 am

Chase cards Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance benefits (2020-2023)

Wiki Update:
  • Added info about new terrorism coverage, and which clarifies a lot of questions we've seen over the last year in terms of what is / isn't covered
  • Added info about new coverage under Trip Interruption for fees related to returning a rental car to a different location
  • Added info about new coverage under Trip Interruption for up to $250 in local travel to/from medical facility, airport, and home from your home airport
  • Updated Trip Cancellation/Interruption FAQ to note that each travel arrangement must be paid at least in part by the card with the coverage.
  • Changed some Trip Delay FAQ answers from "Maybe" or "Mixed reports" to "yes" where reports within the last year or two are consistent and all "no"s were from over two years ago.
  • Committed to the FAQ that road trips with no common carriers are covered by Trip Cancellation/Interruption.

serpens Dec 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 31877868)
Wiki Update:
  • Committed to the FAQ that road trips with no common carriers are covered by Trip Cancellation/Interruption.

Thank you. I should have thought to do that.

ucdtim17 Dec 28, 2019 6:12 pm

Trip cancellation insurance won't cover concert tickets right? Kid got sick and I have a doctors note to cover hotel room, but just want to be sure I shouldn't also attempt to claim the tickets

threeoh Dec 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 (Post 31884657)
Trip cancellation insurance won't cover concert tickets right? Kid got sick and I have a doctors note to cover hotel room, but just want to be sure I shouldn't also attempt to claim the tickets

I'm going to guess no. However, filing a claim is free, so depending on how much the concert tickets cost might be worth a shot.

What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are not covered? "Event Tickets or prepaid fees to theme parks, museums, golf courses, or other points of interest"

shinjukuflyer Dec 30, 2019 6:13 pm

help with CSR trip cancellation benefit

Hello, I am trying to submit a trip cancellation claim with the CSR for the first time and would appreciate some guidance. These are two separate incidents:

Situation 1
Was flying Southwest from BOS-CUN with a layover in BWI. The flight out of BOS was delayed (I think because of weather) enough that they told me at the gate there was no way I would make the CUN connection, and since it was the last flight that day, I would have to be rebooked for CUN the following day. So that's what I did, but because of that I lost my pre-paid hotel and car rental at CUN for that night.

I submitted a claim for the hotel and car rental online. I am now being asked to provide a bunch of documentation. Some of which is self-explanatory but there other items that I'm unsure about. For instance:
  • Cause of Cancellation - what am I expected to provide here?
  • MBS Common Carrier Tix - ?
  • Updated Travel Itinerary - what should I provide here? If I look online at Southwest, under My Trips I still see the original booking, not the revised one for the following day.
Situation 2
Was flying Delta from DTW-BOS. Flight out of DTW was cancelled due to weather in BOS, was rebooked the following day, and had to pay for a taxi ride to the airport again. When submitting both this claim and the one above, I spoke to a rep over the phone who told me both would be Trip Cancellation claims. However reading the wiki above this situation sounds like a Trip Delay, since the taxi was a new expense not a prepaid one. Should I cancel the current claim and submit a new one for Trip Delay instead? Also, similar questions around the evidence requested e.g. not sure what to provide for MBS Common Carrier Tix, Updated Travel Itinerary.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

threeoh Dec 30, 2019 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by shinjukuflyer (Post 31890962)
Situation 1

You need to get a statement from the carrier saying that the cancellation was due to severe weather. You can try them on twitter or reach out through the website.

95% sure this is a copy of your original itinerary aka "the plane tickets" -- you can print-to-PDF your original confirmation email, preferably the one with the last 4 digits of your credit card number.

• Updated Travel Itinerary - what should I provide here? If I look online at Southwest, under My Trips I still see the original booking, not the revised one for the following day.

You never got an email with your updated itinerary?

Last time I had irrops and had to change to a new flight on Southwest, I got an email with the subject "threeoh's 11/26 Chicago (Midway) trip (XXXXXX): Your change is confirmed.". If not, do you have boarding passes from your new flight? Those should work too. Or reach out to them on twitter or via the website and ask for what you need, maybe as part of the above delay letter process. Or you could try typing up a one-page document showing the old and new itineraries, with screenshots or boarding passes as evidence.

By the way, looks like the Severe Weather language has changed recently (since the wiki was written), and now says:

Severe Weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent
person from beginning or continuing on a Trip and occurs:
1) at the point of origin of the Trip prior to departure; or 2) in the
path between Your place of permanent residence and the point
of origin of the Trip prior to departure; or 3) within fifty (50) miles
of the airport, terminal, station, booked lodging, and/or Host at
Destination location listed on Your travel itinerary; and which: A)
impacts a reasonable and prudent person’s ability to: (a) safely
travel to the departure point of a Common Carrier on which
You are scheduled to travel; or (b) safely remain at a booked
Provider of Lodging, or a Host at Destination location listed on
Your travel itinerary; or B) causes the cessation of operation of a
Common Carrier for which You are scheduled to travel provided
that such cessation of operation causes You to: (a) miss at
least 20% of the scheduled duration of the Trip; or (b) miss
the departure of a prepaid cruise, or tour (booked through a
Tour Operator) that You are scheduled to take; or C) causes a
Provider of Lodging with which You booked accommodations to
cease normal operation
So if your trip was longer than 5 days, maybe it's not covered? Not sure how this plays out, no data points yet.

Situation 2
Was flying Delta from DTW-BOS. Flight out of DTW was cancelled due to weather in BOS, was rebooked the following day, and had to pay for a taxi ride to the airport again. When submitting both this claim and the one above, I spoke to a rep over the phone who told me both would be Trip Cancellation claims. However reading the wiki above this situation sounds like a Trip Delay, since the taxi was a new expense not a prepaid one. Should I cancel the current claim and submit a new one for Trip Delay instead? Also, similar questions around the evidence requested e.g. not sure what to provide for MBS Common Carrier Tix, Updated Travel Itinerary.
I'm assuming you live in BOS for this discussion.

I would definitely submit a Trip Delay claim, not Trip Cancellation. But they may have an internal process for swapping them, and also the Trip Interruption insurance now includes $250 to get you to the airport for your new flight, so possibly it could be covered under that? I'd just go with the Trip Delay process, personally.

You'll need a statement from the carrier saying the cause of the delay, you can get one from this website: https://www.delta.com/contactus/page...tion/index.jsp or reach out on twitter. For Updated Travel Itinerary again boarding passes or check your email for new itin or ask them for it.

Make sure to include taxis, meals, etc. if you have receipts.

shinjukuflyer Dec 30, 2019 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 31891029)
You need to get a statement from the carrier saying that the cancellation was due to severe weather. You can try them on twitter or reach out through the website.

Thanks for the response. For the above, can I paste a screenshot of a Twitter convo where they give me a reason or do I need to ask them to email me a document etc?

You never got an email with your updated itinerary?
I was a companion on my wife's ticket so I didn't get any emails to begin with even for the original trip. Checked with her and she doesn't have any emails for the updated flight either. She was sent some SMS but she never saved it. I will try asking Southwest to send me something as you suggested.

I'm assuming you live in BOS for this discussion.

I would definitely submit a Trip Delay claim, not Trip Cancellation. But they may have an internal process for swapping them, and also the Trip Interruption insurance now includes $250 to get you to the airport for your new flight, so possibly it could be covered under that? I'd just go with the Trip Delay process, personally.

You'll need a statement from the carrier saying the cause of the delay, you can get one from this website: https://www.delta.com/contactus/page...tion/index.jsp or reach out on twitter. For Updated Travel Itinerary again boarding passes or check your email for new itin or ask them for it.

Make sure to include taxis, meals, etc. if you have receipts.
Thanks a lot for that Delta link! Wish Southwest had something like this as well. And yes, my home base is BOS. For the Delta trip I luckily have both the original and revised itineraries already.

Btw is there a statute of limitations on these claims? Since I'm only now learning about how this benefit works, wondering if I can claim for a trip delay with Southwest back in July lol. I imagine trying to get paperwork from the airline for something that long ago will be difficult.

Really appreciate the help. Thanks a lot!

threeoh Dec 30, 2019 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by shinjukuflyer (Post 31891222)
Thanks for the response. For the above, can I paste a screenshot of a Twitter convo where they give me a reason or do I need to ask them to email me a document etc?

A screenshot of a Twitter DM from Southwest is exactly what I used for my last claim. I just said "Hi I was on flight XXX on date XX/XX passenger name XXX and pnr XXX, can you tell my why my flight was cancelled?". They responded in ~5 minutes.

Btw is there a statute of limitations on these claims? Since I'm only now learning about how this benefit works, wondering if I can claim for a trip delay with Southwest back in July lol. I imagine trying to get paperwork from the airline for something that long ago will be difficult.
Actually I imagine getting the airline to produce a delay letter from 6 months ago would be pretty easy. It's not like they delete their flight history after 6 months.

However, I think you've blown the deadline for the insurance.

For Trip Delay, you have to start the claim process within 60 days and supply all requested documents within 100 days.

For Trip Cancellation, you have to start the claim process within 20 days and supply all requested documents within 90 days (if possible, and within 1 year if not).

Jflores14 Jan 5, 2020 12:17 pm

Finding contradicting info on this. Base on the following I'm still confused.

"The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip"

My wife and I booked a flight for a Family reunion for next July 19th 2020. We booked this flight on 11/26/2019. On the 3rd week of December we find out that we are pregnant. We had our 1st doc appointment this past Friday that put our measurements at 8 weeks 6 days pregnant with a delivery date of August 8th. Due to this the whole family is rescheduling the reunion to June 7th. What's the best way to go about this, cancel the flight and file a claim, or pay a change flight fee and hope to get reimburse? Is this scenario covered since we booked the flight before we knew we were pregnant? Airline is American Airlines. Card used is Chase sapphire reserve. Paid partially with reward points thru the chase travel portal. Thanks

threeoh Jan 5, 2020 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jflores14 (Post 31911994)
Finding contradicting info on this. Base on the following I'm still confused.

"The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip"

My wife and I booked a flight for a Family reunion for next July 19th 2020. We booked this flight on 11/26/2019. On the 3rd week of December we find out that we are pregnant. We had our 1st doc appointment this past Friday that put our measurements at 8 weeks 6 days pregnant with a delivery date of August 8th. Due to this the whole family is rescheduling the reunion to June 7th. What's the best way to go about this, cancel the flight and file a claim, or pay a change flight fee and hope to get reimburse? Is this scenario covered since we booked the flight before we knew we were pregnant? Airline is American Airlines. Card used is Chase sapphire reserve. Paid partially with reward points thru the chase travel portal. Thanks

I don't have any experience with this and the language is fairly newly added to the coverage, but I'm pretty sure it's clear that travel after the 26th week of pregnancy is not covered regardless of whether you knew you were pregnant when you booked. Basically it's to cover unexpected early-term complications, not an aversion to flying late in the pregnancy.

I think your options are (a) call AA and ask for a favor / an exception of the policy, (b) wait for a while and hope there is a 60+ minute schedule change to one of your flights, which would entitle you to a full refund, or (c) change your tickets to June 7th and pay the $200 per person change fee.

Or book new June tickets now with new money, and wait for a schedule change or cancellation of the July flight to get a refund -- if it doesn't materialize you can cancel at last minute and re-use those funds (with $200 change fee) for a different trip within a year, if you plan to travel on AA within the next year. With 6 months to go this is not guaranteed but not unlikely, and you'd have your new flights locked in already. BUT, requires tying up more funds and also only makes sense if you'll be able to use the cancelled flight funds within their period of validity.

Or pay the change fee and submit an insurance claim for the $200 each ($400 total) and see what happens, only takes a few minutes. I would not cancel and try to get reimbursed for the whole flight, you'd have to wait a full year for the funds to expire or convince them you won't be able to use them within a year. More straight forward (and lower risk) to ask for $400 total in change fee reimbursement.

shinjukuflyer Jan 7, 2020 7:11 pm

Situation 1
Was flying Southwest from BOS-CUN with a layover in BWI. The flight out of BOS was delayed (I think because of weather) enough that they told me at the gate there was no way I would make the CUN connection, and since it was the last flight that day, I would have to be rebooked for CUN the following day. So that's what I did, but because of that I lost my pre-paid hotel and car rental at CUN for that night.

An update on this claim. I'm being asked to provide:
  1. Verification from the Common Carrier, Tour Operator, Travel Agency, or Travel Supplier (ex: airlines,
    cruise lines, hotels, etc.) on their letterhead or email regarding any refunds or credits provided for future
    travel.
  2. A copy of your updated itinerary outlining any change fees you incurred to change your trip or
    documentation from the Common Carrier outlining any change fees you would incur to use your credit
    at a later date.
What should I provide for 1? Southwest isn't refunding me for anything. Do I need it in writing from them stating this fact? For 2, I already submitted a copy of my updated itinerary. There were no change fees incurred.

shinjukuflyer Jan 15, 2020 9:28 pm

Hello, I am trying to submit a trip cancellation claim with the CSR for the first time and would appreciate some guidance. These are two separate incidents:

Situation 1

I submitted a claim for the hotel and car rental online. I am now being asked to provide a bunch of documentation. Some of which is self-explanatory but there other items that I'm unsure about. For instance:
Situation 2

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Update: both issues resolved.

Situation 1: Card services asked me to get it in writing from each of the airline, hotel, and car rental that they wouldn't cover my loss. They told me this is because this benefit is secondary to anything these others provide. Well when I contacted Southwest they offered me a gift card that more than made up for my hotel + car rental loss, and the car rental place gave me a full refund as well. So it sorted itself out, and I cancelled my claim.

Situation 2: Claim covered my taxi fare. Also I saw that even though I submitted this as Trip Cancellation, they changed it automatically on their end to Trip Delay.

jackkyxu Jan 23, 2020 10:03 am

would this be qualified to Chase Trip Delay insurance

I redeemde UR point through UR portal for an international round trip, and the outbound trip is due tomorrow while I got a flight change notification from Chase/Expedia this morning

The trip is JFK-PEK and PEK- a_China_city, and connection in PEK is a few hours and trip ends in the same day of connection. Both legs are on CA

Now the new flight of PEK-a_China_city would be in the morning next day, so there is an overnight there.

I am wondering whether this would be qualified to Chase Trip Delay insurance, and what kind of proof I need for claim if it qualifies. (I do not think I can get a delay statement for CA since the flight itself is not delayed)

Thanks

mia Jan 23, 2020 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jackkyxu (Post 31985733)
I redeemde UR point through UR portal for an international round trip, and the outbound trip is due tomorrow while I got a flight change notification....
Now the new flight of PEK-a_China_city would be in the morning next day, so there is an overnight there.

I do not think the policy will cover this, because you were notified in advance:

What’s Not Covered?
The Trip Delay Reimbursement benefit does not apply to:
• Any delay due to a Covered Hazard which was made public or
made known to You prior to Your departure

jackkyxu Jan 23, 2020 11:03 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31985919)
I do not think the policy will cover this, because you were notified in advance:

thanks