Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? 2020 - 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This is the 2020-2022 thread for weighing the relative merits
of keeping, downgrading, or canceling Chase-issued credit cards.

Discussion from 2016 to 2019 can be found in this closed thread.

What's the main reason people product change (PC)?
The benefits offered by a particular card, might suit you better than the card you are holding. Many people, unable to qualify for a new Chase Sapphire Reserve application, upgraded from the Sapphire Preferred to the Sapphire Reserve, because the benefits of the CSR's cash reimbursements made the annual fee a nominal difference the first year. And vice versa- the onerous $450 yearly fee of the CSR makes an appealing case to downgrade to the Sapphire Preferred, and eventually to the no-fee Sapphire or a Freedom card.

Many people product change to avoid the annual fees on the premium versions of the card. Keeping the card open, via a product change, keeps the account open. This allows you to retain the seasoned account, and the banking relationship that the older card has established with Chase.

Why not just cancel the card and be done with it?
This may be the right choice for you, but others want some of the card benefits without having to reapply. Also, Chase has become very restrictive for new card applicants. For Chase cards, you must wait 24-48 months since the last time you received a bonus before reapplying. Please see the threads on the individual cards for updated overlay rules.

An additional (and more stringent) overlay is the infamous 5/24 rule, which Chase instituted in May 2016 as a counter-measure against churning, or, as they refer to it, "Serial Starters." The 5/24 rule is that you won't be eligible for most Chase card products if you've opened more than 5 credit cards in 24 months. For more on this and other application-related issues, see the current "Applying for Chase Credit Cards " Master thread.

If you downgrade a card to a lower- or no-fee alternative, you can always upgrade back to the original card type (paying the AF, of course) if you want to have the additional benefits again. Doing so does not have any effect on your */24 count; OTOH, applying for the card anew will increase your */24 count (always for personal cards & sometimes even for business cards). When you upgrade, you will receive a pro-rated refund of your current card’s annual fee (if any) and then be charged the full annual fee of the upgraded card, thus changing the account’s anniversary date.

Another reason to downgrade a card, if such an option exists, instead of canceling is that you’ll receive a pro rata refund of the AF no matter when you do it (vs. having only 30 days from the date of the statement with AF on it to get a refund if you cancel outright). This can be extremely useful if you need to use a premium card’s benefit—free checked bag, car rental insurance, PreCheck rebate, etc. etc.—more than 30 days after your AF statement. Simply keep the card until you’ve used the relevant benefit & then downgrade; you’ll get a proportional refund of the AF no matter how long this take place after your AF is billed.

Finally, canceling certain cards--those earning Chase Ultimate Rewards--may deprive you of the ability to exchange UR for miles/points in air & hotel programs. See Ultimate Rewards transfer partners, times & rules.

Is there any way I can keep a card without paying the annual fee?
See Chase Retention Bonuses: June 2015-Present

Are there any restrictions on product changes?
Product changes are only allowed within the same card "family," and are not permitted between business and personal cards. Also, Chase cites the federal CARD Act to deny product changes on any account less than one year old.

Will a product change count as a new card?
No, you will keep your same "opened on" date, credit line, automatic payment arrangements, etc. A product change does not count against Chase's 5/24 limitations on new cards.

Note: you will also keep your same account number except where the change is from a Visa to MC or vice versa (e.g., Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Flex) —but even in this limited case, the new card will inherit all the old card’s attributes on your credit report.

Will I get a signup bonus when I change?
No, product changes do not result in point bonuses. Signup bonuses are reserved for new applicants only. For the complete list of public sign up offers, check the Chase sitemap here: https://creditcards.chase.com/sitemap

Is there a place I can look to compare cards?
Go here: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...D=177087865887
Click: All cards
Place a checkmark in the Compare box for up to three cards.
Click: Compare cards...and you should see a side-by-side display.

I've figured out what I want to switch to. How do I product change my card?
Call the number on the back of your card.

Product changes for the Ultimate Reward Business and Personal Card Family

The UR family of cards includes the Chase Ink business cards, the Freedom Unlimited, the Freedom Card, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Reserve and Sapphire.

The Slate (personal) card is also available to downgrade to. It has no annual fee and does not earn any type of reward points. It offers a low fee (currently 0% for the first 60 days) balance transfers and APR.

Personal Cards
  • Freedom: 5X points in rotating quarterly categories up to $1500 spend per quarter. If you max out the $1500 every quarter, it totals 7500 UR per quarter, or 30,000 UR per year.
  • Freedom Unlimited: 3X on dining, 3x on drugstores, 1.5X for all other spending, no quarterly bonus categories. $20,000 in spend would net 30,000 UR per year.
  • Freedom Flex: 5X points in rotating quarterly categories (same ones as for Freedom) up to $1500 spend per quarter, 3X on drugstores, 1x all other spend.
  • Sapphire Reserve: $550 annual fee, $300 annual travel credit, 3X points for travel and dining. Books travel through the UR portal for 1.5 per dollar. Lounge access and other goodies. See the thread here for details.
  • Sapphire Preferred: $95 annual fee, 2X points for travel & dining
  • Sapphire: Not available to new applicants. Available as a product downgrade/change only, must tier down from the Sapphire Reserve to Sapphire Preferred to Sapphire or Freedom cards. No annual fee. Some Customer Service Reps are citing that the original product (i.e., the CSR), must be held for one year before downgrading. Please provide data points in the thread if this happens to you.

Business Cards
  • Ink Plus: $95 annual fee, 5X office supplies, 5X cellular/landline/cable; 2X gas and hotels
  • Ink Preferred: $95 annual fee, 3x on travel, shipping, internet/phone/cable, & some online advertising.
  • Ink Cash: No annual fee, 5X office supplies, 5X cellular/landline/cable; 2X gas and restaurants

If you still have a legacy Ink Classic or Ink Bold business card, neither of which is available for new signups, you can product change to one of the other Ink cards.

Considerations for downgrading/upgrading UR cards
Can I combine my UR points?
Yes, UR can be combined freely across the cardholder's own personal and business accounts.

What about transfering my UR to another person's Chase UR account? To their air/hotel partner account?
With restrictions, UR from a personal card can be transferred to a person living at the same address. Business cards allow transfer to owners of the company listed as authorized users.

However, be warned that there are transfer restrictions. Unauthorized transfers have resulted in shut-downs. Review the Chase T&C for details before planning a transfer. For discussion, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-accounts.html.

The Freedom cards, no-fee Ink Cash, and no-fee Sapphire cards do not allow UR transfer to airline/hotel partners. If you are downgrading from a premium UR card and will only have no-fee cards left, it may be prudent to transfer your points to the partner of your choice beforehand.

I know I can use UR to pay for travel directly (as opposed to transfering points into a travel partner program). Do the Chase UR cards differ on this?
Only the Sapphire Reserve books travel on the UR portal for 1.5. So you can stack your card bonus opportunities when your UR points are combined into your CSR account and used for booking travel. If, for instance, you earned 5x on your Ink Plus on your phone bill, and combine those 5x Ink earned points into your CSR's UR account, you'll now get an additional .5 in value when you redeem them on the travel portal.
Product Changes for United Airlines Cards

There are options to downgrade or upgrade UA cards.
  • United Mileage Plus Card- no annual fee, 1 UA mile per $2 in spend
  • United Mileage Plus Explorer Card- $95 annual fee, 1 mile per dollar earning, additional award inventory on UA, free checked bag, 25% bonus on the shopping portal.
  • United Club Infinite Card- $525 annual fee, 4 miles per $1 travel, 2 miles per $1 dining
  • Business Cards for the Mileage Plus and Club Card give you a choice to upgrade or downgrade between those two.
Product Changes for IHG Cards

There are three different IHG cards in the Chase portfolio:
  • IHG Select: No longer available for new signups. For a $49 annual fee, cardholders get a free-night certificate (up to 40K points) every anniversary; a 10% rebate on award redemptions; and Platinum status. The consensus view on FT is that the low fee and automatic rebate on this make a product change undesirable.
  • IHG Premier: $89 annual fee after the first year. Benefits include 40K anniversary free-night cert; Platinum status; Fourth Night Free on awards; and rebate on Global Entry ($100) or TSA PreCheck ($85) application/renewal fees.
  • IHG Traveler: Gold status and Fourth Night Free benefit; no free-night cert.
    • As of June 2021, downgrades to the Traveler card incur a $29 annual fee even though the current Traveler sign-up offer is for a no-fee card.

Southwest Airlines Cards

The difference here is a nominal $30/3000 points per year.

Personal cards
  • Plus Card- $69 annual fee, 3000 bonus points upon renewal
  • Premiere Card- $99 annual fee, 6000 bonus points upon renewal
The Business cards also have a Plus and Premiere version.

Print Wikipost

Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? 2020 - 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:06 am

I just messaged Chase to have the card closed and to consolidate the credit with my Ink Plus. Thanks to everybody who replied. I think closing now and maybe doing some Staples GC purchases on my Ink Plus will hopefully set me up to get more Chase Business cards in the Fall when I am below 5/24.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by fredc84
... SO's Saph preferred will get the 2nd year annual fee in August. I plan on getting my own with the new 80K bonus and we won't need two cards (or, more precisely, two annual fees).
When more frequent churning was still possible (up until a few years ago and prior to 5/24, 24 month and 48 month language) it was not uncommon and apparently almost risk-free, to close an account within a few months of opening (to prepare for the next application). Nowadays there’s no advantage and possible risk to closing an account prior to 12.5 months. Closing SO's Saph preferred within 30 days of AF being billed should be safe and save the AF.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
When more frequent churning was still possible (up until a few years ago and prior to 5/24, 24 month and 48 month language) it was not uncommon and apparently almost risk-free, to close an account within a few months of opening (to prepare for the next application). Nowadays there’s no advantage and possible risk to closing an account prior to 12.5 months. Closing SO's Saph preferred within 30 days of AF being billed should be safe and save the AF.
Thanks. I also completely forgot about the downgrade option as well.

note: thanks for moving...I didn't know this thread existed.

Last edited by fredc84; Apr 17, 2022 at 1:13 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:19 am
RNE

Originally Posted by beltway
But don’t just close it, because the credit won’t free up immediately.
What? Why won't it?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
What? Why won't it?
After you close an account there is a grace period during which it can be reopened. The assigned credit limit is not released until the period ends, and the change updates all the databases in the issuer's systems.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Just got the UnitedChase Gateway card with no annual fee. I want to cancel my explorer card asI am tired of paying the fee and keep finding mileage requirements going up for miles required to fly business from sfo to lhr . Have about 250 k miles. Want to use them up asap. I understand they dont refund the fee beyond 60 days. Mine was assessed in January. . Is it worth calling to see if I can get a partial refund? I Dont care about free baggage asI will only fly business or premium economy. Clubs have been closed so don't care about that either.

thank you
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by oskidunker
Just got the UnitedChase Gateway card with no annual fee. I want to cancel my explorer card asI am tired of paying the fee and keep finding mileage requirements going up for miles required to fly business from sfo to lhr . Have about 250 k miles. Want to use them up asap. I understand they dont refund the fee beyond 60 days. Mine was assessed in January. . Is it worth calling to see if I can get a partial refund? I Dont care about free baggage asI will only fly business or premium economy. Clubs have been closed so don't care about that either.
Unless you don’t care about your 5/24 count, the better move would have been simply to downgrade (“product change”) your Explorer card to a Gateway without applying for a new card.

As things stand, you can and should do the downgrade anyway because that’s how you can get a pro rata refund of your Explorer annual fee. See wiki above for discussion. (Yes, you can hold two Gateway cards.)
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:16 pm

I got 20,000 mikes for applying for the gateway card. Would imlose that if i ask for a downgrade?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:26 pm
mia

I got 20,000 mikes for applying for the gateway card.
Chase will not let you downgrade until you have held the card for a full year. Downgrading will not affect miles that are already in your Mileage Plus account.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:28 pm

I have had the explorer card for 10 years
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:35 pm
mia

I have had the explorer card for 10 years
How long have you had the Gateway card mentioned in your previous post? (Federal regulations prevent card issuers from changing the "terms" of a newly opened credit card for 12 months. The simplest way to comply with this requirement is not to allow product changes in the first year. It doesn't matter if you have other cards.)

Last edited by mia; Apr 18, 2022 at 6:49 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:55 pm

1 week
Old Apr 18, 2022, 7:25 pm
mia

1 week
You won't be able to downgrade this soon. If you close the account now you will lose the miles. Review the offer terms: If your account is not open for at least six months, United and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus miles from your MileagePlus Program account.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The Explorer Card has been held ten years. The Gateway Card one week. It is the former for which a downgrade (to a second Gateway) is sought. I see no problem with this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:10 pm
mia

Sorry, I missed oskidunker:s very first post. Downgrading the Explorer will have no effect of the bonus miles received for opening the Gateway card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.