Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? 2020 - 2022

Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This is the 2020-2022 thread for weighing the relative merits
of keeping, downgrading, or canceling Chase-issued credit cards.

Discussion from 2016 to 2019 can be found in this closed thread.

What's the main reason people product change (PC)?
The benefits offered by a particular card, might suit you better than the card you are holding. Many people, unable to qualify for a new Chase Sapphire Reserve application, upgraded from the Sapphire Preferred to the Sapphire Reserve, because the benefits of the CSR's cash reimbursements made the annual fee a nominal difference the first year. And vice versa- the onerous $450 yearly fee of the CSR makes an appealing case to downgrade to the Sapphire Preferred, and eventually to the no-fee Sapphire or a Freedom card.

Many people product change to avoid the annual fees on the premium versions of the card. Keeping the card open, via a product change, keeps the account open. This allows you to retain the seasoned account, and the banking relationship that the older card has established with Chase.

Why not just cancel the card and be done with it?
This may be the right choice for you, but others want some of the card benefits without having to reapply. Also, Chase has become very restrictive for new card applicants. For Chase cards, you must wait 24-48 months since the last time you received a bonus before reapplying. Please see the threads on the individual cards for updated overlay rules.

An additional (and more stringent) overlay is the infamous 5/24 rule, which Chase instituted in May 2016 as a counter-measure against churning, or, as they refer to it, "Serial Starters." The 5/24 rule is that you won't be eligible for most Chase card products if you've opened more than 5 credit cards in 24 months. For more on this and other application-related issues, see the current "Applying for Chase Credit Cards " Master thread.

If you downgrade a card to a lower- or no-fee alternative, you can always upgrade back to the original card type (paying the AF, of course) if you want to have the additional benefits again. Doing so does not have any effect on your */24 count; OTOH, applying for the card anew will increase your */24 count (always for personal cards & sometimes even for business cards). When you upgrade, you will receive a pro-rated refund of your current card’s annual fee (if any) and then be charged the full annual fee of the upgraded card, thus changing the account’s anniversary date.

Another reason to downgrade a card, if such an option exists, instead of canceling is that you’ll receive a pro rata refund of the AF no matter when you do it (vs. having only 30 days from the date of the statement with AF on it to get a refund if you cancel outright). This can be extremely useful if you need to use a premium card’s benefit—free checked bag, car rental insurance, PreCheck rebate, etc. etc.—more than 30 days after your AF statement. Simply keep the card until you’ve used the relevant benefit & then downgrade; you’ll get a proportional refund of the AF no matter how long this take place after your AF is billed.

Finally, canceling certain cards--those earning Chase Ultimate Rewards--may deprive you of the ability to exchange UR for miles/points in air & hotel programs. See Ultimate Rewards transfer partners, times & rules.

Is there any way I can keep a card without paying the annual fee?
See Chase Retention Bonuses: June 2015-Present

Are there any restrictions on product changes?
Product changes are only allowed within the same card "family," and are not permitted between business and personal cards. Also, Chase cites the federal CARD Act to deny product changes on any account less than one year old.

Will a product change count as a new card?
No, you will keep your same "opened on" date, credit line, automatic payment arrangements, etc. A product change does not count against Chase's 5/24 limitations on new cards.

Note: you will also keep your same account number except where the change is from a Visa to MC or vice versa (e.g., Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Flex) —but even in this limited case, the new card will inherit all the old card’s attributes on your credit report.

Will I get a signup bonus when I change?
No, product changes do not result in point bonuses. Signup bonuses are reserved for new applicants only. For the complete list of public sign up offers, check the Chase sitemap here: https://creditcards.chase.com/sitemap

Is there a place I can look to compare cards?
Go here: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...D=177087865887
Click: All cards
Place a checkmark in the Compare box for up to three cards.
Click: Compare cards...and you should see a side-by-side display.

I've figured out what I want to switch to. How do I product change my card?
Call the number on the back of your card.

Product changes for the Ultimate Reward Business and Personal Card Family

The UR family of cards includes the Chase Ink business cards, the Freedom Unlimited, the Freedom Card, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Reserve and Sapphire.

The Slate (personal) card is also available to downgrade to. It has no annual fee and does not earn any type of reward points. It offers a low fee (currently 0% for the first 60 days) balance transfers and APR.

Personal Cards
  • Freedom: 5X points in rotating quarterly categories up to $1500 spend per quarter. If you max out the $1500 every quarter, it totals 7500 UR per quarter, or 30,000 UR per year.
  • Freedom Unlimited: 3X on dining, 3x on drugstores, 1.5X for all other spending, no quarterly bonus categories. $20,000 in spend would net 30,000 UR per year.
  • Freedom Flex: 5X points in rotating quarterly categories (same ones as for Freedom) up to $1500 spend per quarter, 3X on drugstores, 1x all other spend.
  • Sapphire Reserve: $550 annual fee, $300 annual travel credit, 3X points for travel and dining. Books travel through the UR portal for 1.5 per dollar. Lounge access and other goodies. See the thread here for details.
  • Sapphire Preferred: $95 annual fee, 2X points for travel & dining
  • Sapphire: Not available to new applicants. Available as a product downgrade/change only, must tier down from the Sapphire Reserve to Sapphire Preferred to Sapphire or Freedom cards. No annual fee. Some Customer Service Reps are citing that the original product (i.e., the CSR), must be held for one year before downgrading. Please provide data points in the thread if this happens to you.

Business Cards
  • Ink Plus: $95 annual fee, 5X office supplies, 5X cellular/landline/cable; 2X gas and hotels
  • Ink Preferred: $95 annual fee, 3x on travel, shipping, internet/phone/cable, & some online advertising.
  • Ink Cash: No annual fee, 5X office supplies, 5X cellular/landline/cable; 2X gas and restaurants

If you still have a legacy Ink Classic or Ink Bold business card, neither of which is available for new signups, you can product change to one of the other Ink cards.

Considerations for downgrading/upgrading UR cards
Can I combine my UR points?
Yes, UR can be combined freely across the cardholder's own personal and business accounts.

What about transfering my UR to another person's Chase UR account? To their air/hotel partner account?
With restrictions, UR from a personal card can be transferred to a person living at the same address. Business cards allow transfer to owners of the company listed as authorized users.

However, be warned that there are transfer restrictions. Unauthorized transfers have resulted in shut-downs. Review the Chase T&C for details before planning a transfer. For discussion, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-accounts.html.

The Freedom cards, no-fee Ink Cash, and no-fee Sapphire cards do not allow UR transfer to airline/hotel partners. If you are downgrading from a premium UR card and will only have no-fee cards left, it may be prudent to transfer your points to the partner of your choice beforehand.

I know I can use UR to pay for travel directly (as opposed to transfering points into a travel partner program). Do the Chase UR cards differ on this?
Only the Sapphire Reserve books travel on the UR portal for 1.5. So you can stack your card bonus opportunities when your UR points are combined into your CSR account and used for booking travel. If, for instance, you earned 5x on your Ink Plus on your phone bill, and combine those 5x Ink earned points into your CSR's UR account, you'll now get an additional .5 in value when you redeem them on the travel portal.
Product Changes for United Airlines Cards

There are options to downgrade or upgrade UA cards.
  • United Mileage Plus Card- no annual fee, 1 UA mile per $2 in spend
  • United Mileage Plus Explorer Card- $95 annual fee, 1 mile per dollar earning, additional award inventory on UA, free checked bag, 25% bonus on the shopping portal.
  • United Club Infinite Card- $525 annual fee, 4 miles per $1 travel, 2 miles per $1 dining
  • Business Cards for the Mileage Plus and Club Card give you a choice to upgrade or downgrade between those two.
Product Changes for IHG Cards

There are three different IHG cards in the Chase portfolio:
  • IHG Select: No longer available for new signups. For a $49 annual fee, cardholders get a free-night certificate (up to 40K points) every anniversary; a 10% rebate on award redemptions; and Platinum status. The consensus view on FT is that the low fee and automatic rebate on this make a product change undesirable.
  • IHG Premier: $89 annual fee after the first year. Benefits include 40K anniversary free-night cert; Platinum status; Fourth Night Free on awards; and rebate on Global Entry ($100) or TSA PreCheck ($85) application/renewal fees.
  • IHG Traveler: Gold status and Fourth Night Free benefit; no free-night cert.
    • As of June 2021, downgrades to the Traveler card incur a $29 annual fee even though the current Traveler sign-up offer is for a no-fee card.

Southwest Airlines Cards

The difference here is a nominal $30/3000 points per year.

Personal cards
  • Plus Card- $69 annual fee, 3000 bonus points upon renewal
  • Premiere Card- $99 annual fee, 6000 bonus points upon renewal
The Business cards also have a Plus and Premiere version.

Print Wikipost

Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? 2020 - 2022

Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, this is to comply with a Federal law which prohibits changing the terms of an account in the first 12 months. You must open a new account if you cannot wait.
That makes sense then.

Ill go ahead and apply for it outright.

Are there sites that allow me to use their referral links that gives me a bonus? For example, In canada they have https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/ which pays you $50 for AMEX referral links you use on their site.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by speer1234
referral links....
You could look at this thread: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first) , which would allow another Flyertalk member to earn a bonus.
Critterlynn likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You could look at this thread: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first) , which would allow another Flyertalk member to earn a bonus.
I understand I can use someone else referral. You may think of me as greedy or selfish, but I want to keep the bonus for myself, if this is at all possible. I have been doing this for many years with AMEX.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:57 am

I churned the Chase sapphire reserve and Chase business Preferred ink in nov / sept 2019.

1. Am I allowed to apply for a chase freedom unlimited? (I was going to downgrade the sapphire to freedom, but you got to wait 12 months which I dont want to do)

2. Will I still be eligible for the $200 sign up bonus?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:11 pm
RNE

I churned the Chase sapphire reserve...nov / sept 2019.
How did you accomplish that? Wasn't the 48-month restriction in place then? Indeed, isn't it still in place?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I churned the Chase sapphire reserve and Chase business Preferred ink in nov / sept 2019.

1. Am I allowed to apply for a chase freedom unlimited? (I was going to downgrade the sapphire to freedom, but you got to wait 12 months which I dont want to do)

2. Will I still be eligible for the $200 sign up bonus?
1. Yes.

2. Yes.

Originally Posted by RNE
How did you accomplish that? Wasn't the 48-month restriction in place then? Indeed, isn't it still in place?
Reading that post, it appears to me that speer1234 obtained a CSR and then a CIP. Two different cards so no "churn" involved.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:36 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Reading that post, it appears to me that speer1234 obtained a CSR and then a CIP. Two different cards so no "churn" involved.
Ah, OK.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:27 pm

Did anyone try to upgrade to CSR recently and see if $450 or $550 was charged?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by starmie
Did anyone try to upgrade to CSR recently and see if $450 or $550 was charged?
When you product change to CSR, the AF isn't charged for months, oftentimes up to 6 months later.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
When you product change to CSR, the AF isn't charged for months, oftentimes up to 6 months later.
Does anybody know what happens to your cardmember anniversary when this happens? Is it the date you PC or is it the date the AF posts? If you decide to cancel (or PC) when the AF posts do you get a full refund?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:50 pm

I'm not finding any datapoints - does anyone know if the Marriott Rewards Premier Business card can be PC'd to a card with no AF? I'm not seeing any great candidates for it.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bobert24
I'm not finding any datapoints - does anyone know if the Marriott Rewards Premier Business card can be PC'd to a card with no AF? I'm not seeing any great candidates for it.
As Marriott does not have a no AF Marriott business card in their portfolio, the answer is no.
bobert24 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Tried downgrading my CSR , they would refuse to refund any part of AF .

Is that true?

I do not see any travel in near future, completing my 4 years can reapply by year end.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
Tried downgrading my CSR , they would refuse to refund any part of AF .

Is that true?

I do not see any travel in near future, completing my 4 years can reapply by year end.
Just call back and proceed with the downgrade. The pro-rated refund will happen automatically within a few days. Sadly, some phone reps don't even know this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Just call back and proceed with the downgrade. The pro-rated refund will happen automatically within a few days. Sadly, some phone reps don't even know this.

Oh thanks, tried this like a month ago...such a waste of money.
Btw even the sm on chase gave me the same response.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.