Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:16 am
Original Poster

I have a WOH Chase credit card opened in early 2017. My partner has been using a duplicate copy of my card for the past 2 years.

May I now, in Aug 2019, get an authorized user card in his name and safely avoid any downside Chase 5/24 risk for him?
My assumption is the credit bureaus would show the Open Date as early 2017 for this authorized user card on his report.
This is especially true I think because the Chase authorized user cards have the same card number as the main cardholder.

May I assume the above also applies for Citi & Barclay cards too?

Final question on authorized user card on AMEX, since AMEX issues a new card number for the authorized user.
Safe from a Chase 5/24 perspective to get a new authorized user card for partner on a many years old AMEX account?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:02 pm

You are safe adding an AU to your Chase card as your assumptions are correct. The AU's Open Date will be the same as the primary cardholder's. You are definitely NOT safe doing same with an Amex as it will have it's own Open Date when the AU was added. I won't comment on Citi and Barclays as I'm not certain.

The word "safe" in this context refers to Chase's automatic 5/24 algorithm. Keep in mind, even those AU accounts that are NOT safe can be successfully ignored by Chase during a reconsideration call after receiving an automatic 5/24 denial.
mia and Happy like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:30 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards 2020-present

I keep getting email "You are pre-qualified.... apply now" Those cards were in my account "Just For You" before, but not any more. Do you think the offers are any good? Or they are just general marketing email? I'm not limited by the 5/24.

Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Looks like the standard offer you see at chase.com except for the "pre-qualified" part.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:03 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by philemer
Looks like the standard offer you see at chase.com except for the "pre-qualified" part.
So what is the point keep sending it? I think this is probably past its screening.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by RedSun
So what is the point keep sending it? I think this is probably past its screening.
Trying to break you down.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:52 pm

I have had a lot of Chase cards but in the past I never had the ( possible depending on what the first closing date is) need to change a statement closing date.

Can you change the first statement closing date on a Southwest Business card ?

Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I have had a lot of Chase cards but in the past I never had the ( possible depending on what the first closing date is) need to change a statement closing date.

Can you change the first statement closing date on a Southwest Business card ?

Thanks
I've done in the past via SM. Just let them know what date you want to change it to and they'll usually accommodate. I've done it with SW cards so that the bonuses don't hit at the end of the year, but rather the beginning of the year.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:48 am

So turns out I'm actually at 6/24 until June so going to have my P2 apply for a CIP card. I'm reading mixed timeframes for applying for subsequent cards. I've seen a 1/30 rule mentioned and also someone else recommending to wait 3 months. If it's truly 3 months between apps, why? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by DVDBob
So turns out I'm actually at 6/24 until June so going to have my P2 apply for a CIP card. I'm reading mixed timeframes for applying for subsequent cards. I've seen a 1/30 rule mentioned and also someone else recommending to wait 3 months. If it's truly 3 months between apps, why? Thanks in advance.
1/30 rule for business cards is a Chase rule.

The recommendations to wait 2-3 months between Chase apps is to keep your application "velocity" at a reasonable pace. People who quickly ramp up credit lines with multiple cards in quick succession can be viewed as riskier clients than those who obtain cards at a more measured rate. (I suspect this pattern of behavior is also prevalent in identity theft cases.)

The average American has 2.6 credits cards - total. Applying for six cards in six months makes you the rather obvious outlier, which is not where you want to be if your goal is to continue obtaining credit cards for sign-up bonuses.
RNE, pallhedge and tstauck like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The recommendations to wait 2-3 months between Chase apps is to keep your application "velocity" at a reasonable pace. People who quickly ramp up credit lines with multiple cards in quick succession can be viewed as riskier clients than those who obtain cards at a more measured rate. (I suspect this pattern of behavior is also prevalent in identity theft cases.)
Makes sense. Thank you.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:32 pm

If I received my last bonus on the Southwest Plus card on 1/18/2018, can I reapply on 1/19/2020 or do I have to wait until 2/1/2020?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by USP45expert
If I received my last bonus on the Southwest Plus card on 1/18/2018, can I reapply on 1/19/2020 or do I have to wait until 2/1/2020?
Take a look at the section in the wiki above labeled How does Chase calculate the relevant 24-month period? By calendar months? By exact days?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:07 pm

Southwest Business and Personal Card Application Timing

Thanks in advance.
Considering obtaining SW business and personal cards to obtain CP. Is the current recommendation to do both applications at the same time or separate?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LVTraveler
Thanks in advance.
Considering obtaining SW business and personal cards to obtain CP. Is the current recommendation to do both applications at the same time or separate?
Business then personal. If you apply at the same time and the personal card is approved first, the business card app will be rejected due to 1/30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.