Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by macboss
Hi, I just applied for the CSP but did not get instant approved. I have 830 credit score and under 5/24. Should I call to try to get it approved on the phone?

I’m also planning on applying for the Chase Hyatt card. Should I wait for the CSP approval first before applying for the Hyatt? Thanks
The approval process can take up to 7 days in my experience. Do not call (read the wikipost at the top of the page for more great info). And I would wait to apply. What's the rush? Good luck.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
The approval process can take up to 7 days in my experience. Do not call (read the wikipost at the top of the page for more great info). And I would wait to apply. What's the rush? Good luck.
Thanks for the info! I need the card to for the July 4th weekend Vacation trip coming up where I can spend toward the min to get sign on bonus. Has anyone recently called and got approved on the spot?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Declined for a Chase Freedom card

Hilarious but kind of annoying. I don't think I've ever been turned down for a credit card by anyone before. My credit rating ranges from 825 to 850, depending on the bureau. I pay off my balances in full each month (I know this can be a negative). I've got about $97K credit available across 5 Chase cards. That's less than half of our annual income. I don't churn. All of these accounts have been open for ages. This was my first card application since opening my CSR in 2016.

As my work travel is probably not going to start up again until early 2021 (at the soonest), I've been thinking hard about my two main cards (CSR and the old United Club Card). I recently canceled my Southwest card, as I don't see myself using it again. I still have a rarely used IHG card and the old United Signature card. I also have the older Marriott card (that still gives elite night credit for spend). When traveling for work, I usually put about $100K annually on the Marriott Card and another $100K on the CSR. The United Club card is mostly used for unbonused spend, as the 1.5 miles per $1 is decent and I use the price protection feature a lot. I'm still using it for large purchases because of the price protection, but I'm growing increasingly uncomfortable with having so much invested in an airline currency. When/if they get rid of price protection as a card benefit, I'm definitely canceling it. My CSR doesn't renew until December and the extra grocery points + Pay Yourself Back have made it worthwhile in the short term, despite the lack of travel.

I was looking for a card to use for a lot of the spend that I usually put on the United Club card (the everyday purchases where I don't need price protection). I was interested in both the Chase Freedom and the Chase Freedom Unlimited cards, but decided to apply for the Freedom first because I know that I can easily get maximum use out of the third quarter categories. Imagine my surprise at being turned down for this card! Heck, I wanted both and they won't even give me one. Planning to call tomorrow to see if they'll approve me by using some of the credit available from my other cards. I'm not looking to increase my available credit, only to get a card that I plan to use regularly.

Why have I rambled on about this? Mostly to demonstrate that Chase really does appear quite anxious about approving new credit card applications in the current environment. My credit is great. My utilization is low. My accounts are old and in good standing. But Chase is scared. I would guess that it's going to be a lot harder for everyone to get approved for new cards in this environment.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:30 pm

I also canceled my Southwest card a day before I applied for CSP. I moved all my SW card CL to my Freedom Unlimited which has 85k CL now. May be that’s the reason my CSP was bot insta approved? Lexdevil, Please update us after you call Chase.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:31 pm

I also canceled my Southwest card a day before I applied for CSP. I moved all my SW card CL to my Freedom Unlimited which has 85k CL now. May be that’s the reason my CSP was bot insta approved? Lexdevil, Please update us after you call Chase.
I moved my Southwest CL to my CSR, which currently has a $53K limit. I was not approved instantly. I waited over 10 days before calling and was told today that I was rejected and would receive a letter in the mail.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 11:42 am

Success

Please update us after you call Chase.
This morning's call was pretty easy, though a bit slow. I contacted the folks at 877-260-0087, but was transferred to 888-609-7805. The first number was, apparently, international and my application was handled by the US application department. I do not know why I was given the first number last night, but I've included it because it is not listed in the wiki.

As an FYI, the phone hours I was told are 8:00 AM-8:00 PM Eastern time M-F and 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM Eastern on Saturdays.

The reason given for my denial was that I already had the maximum CL available that Chase would allow me. They were fine with transferring some of my available CL from other cards to open this new one.

I did ask what income to CL ratio they allow and was told that they do not have a simple formula and that the maximum CL available is the product of an algorithm that looks at a number of factors, not just income. Given the number of people reporting decreased CLs at the moment, my guess is that Chase has tightened this up recently, as a result of the recession/pandemic.

Last edited by lexdevil; Jun 27, 2020 at 11:47 am
Old Jun 27, 2020, 12:40 pm

Congrats! Mine was approved today and showed up on my Chase Online Banking without having to call them. My total credit card CL with Chase is over $100k. Thinking if i should reduce it for future cc application.

how fast can Chase send me the card? I need it by next Monday for a vacation trip on Tuesday.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:27 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....I need it by next Monday .....
Monday 6.29.2020?
Old Jun 27, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mia
Monday 6.29.2020?
I'm guessing "by next Monday" means the Monday after the closest Monday.. No way he could get a card by this Monday.
@macboss-mine always take a min. of 7 days to arrive. Call and ask them to expedite it.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
There's no way I'm miscounting and I've never upgraded any card before either.
Why the unnecessary heartburn inducing speculation? Simply do this:

1) Go through each of your accounts on Credit Karma and look at the "Date Opened".
And/Or
2) Right now all 3 Agencies are offering free weekly reports. Again, go through the "Date Opened" for each one.

Need to be laser focused on the "Date Opened" field to make sure u r < 5/24 b4 u apply. Feel free to let us know what you find especially if unexpected - if the TravelBank card does NOT show as new, then that indeed is an irregularity. Although frankly you're not out much time if you just need to wait till Nov to try again. Except maybe a potential large spend between now and then.

Your experience is certainly a valuable data point. It appears TravelBank may be treated differently by Chase so is a warning to others. Like you, I have had many product changes whether voluntary or due to security issues, so I always check Credit Karma and double check my Credit Reports after the fact, whether it resulted in a new "Date Opened".
Old Jun 28, 2020, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by gq_dq
Why the unnecessary heartburn inducing speculation? Simply do this:

1) Go through each of your accounts on Credit Karma and look at the "Date Opened".
And/Or
2) Right now all 3 Agencies are offering free weekly reports. Again, go through the "Date Opened" for each one.

Need to be laser focused on the "Date Opened" field to make sure u r < 5/24 b4 u apply. Feel free to let us know what you find especially if unexpected - if the TravelBank card does NOT show as new, then that indeed is an irregularity. Although frankly you're not out much time if you just need to wait till Nov to try again. Except maybe a potential large spend between now and then.

Your experience is certainly a valuable data point. It appears TravelBank may be treated differently by Chase so is a warning to others. Like you, I have had many product changes whether voluntary or due to security issues, so I always check Credit Karma and double check my Credit Reports after the fact, whether it resulted in a new "Date Opened".
I ran a credit report a few days ago and surprisingly it turns out there was another unexpected hiccup.
My wife opened a credit card in spring 2018, but then last summer added me as the 2nd cardholder. Apparently that counts as my own new credit card account on my credit history, even though I neither applied nor am/was the primary cardholder.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 6:42 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
My wife opened a credit card in spring 2018, but then last summer added me as the 2nd cardholder. Apparently that counts as my own new credit card account on my credit history....
If you explain to Chase that you are an Authorized User on that account, and not financially responsible for the payment, it can be deducted from your 24 month total of new accounts.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 7:31 pm

I ran a credit report a few days ago and surprisingly it turns out there was another unexpected hiccup. My wife opened a credit card in spring 2018, but then last summer added me as the 2nd cardholder. Apparently that counts as my own new credit card account on my credit history, even though I neither applied nor am/was the primary cardholder.
Hello... Excellent that you pulled a credit report - that's the litmus test. The Authorized User situation is explicitly discussed in the Wiki at the head of this thread. In fact, all of this and more is in the Wiki, which I would imagine you would've acquainted yourself with by now.

Now to the "spring 2018" issue. Except that it's now Summer 2020. So once again... you need to check not your wife's but what YOUR Credit Report and/or YOUR Credit Karma profile shows as the "Date Opened" for that card. Is it Spring 2018 or Summer 2019? If it's Spring 2018 then it's > 24 mo and has fallen off your 5/24 inclusion, so that is not an issue... in fact, if that's the case, then it's the TravelBank thing that foozled your plans. Again, without this detail it's pure speculation so one can't immediately tell with certainty whether it's the AU situation or the TravelBank. However, if the "Date Opened" of your AU card shows Summer 2019, then it's another valuable data point - that AU cards show a "Date Opened" of when the AU was actually added, not the "Date Opened" of the Primary account.

In summary, it'll be interesting to know whether the TravelBank card shows a "Date Opened" as of the date you downgraded. If not, and your denial is purportedly exclusively due to your wife's AU card showing a "Date Opened" of Summer 2019, then follow the instructions in the Wiki and escalate to Tier 2 to obtain an override like mia said above.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by mia
If you explain to Chase that you are an Authorized User on that account, and not financially responsible for the payment, it can be deducted from your 24 month total of new accounts.
Originally Posted by gq_dq
Now to the "spring 2018" issue. Except that it's now Summer 2020. So once again... you need to check not your wife's but what YOUR Credit Report and/or YOUR Credit Karma profile shows as the "Date Opened" for that card. Is it Spring 2018 or Summer 2019?
My credit report has summer 2019 (not spring 2018) as the account open date for my wife's AMEx card for which I'm the authorized user.

I will call Chase Reconsideration again, see what they say. When I last spoke to them, the rep brought up that my Travelbank UA card was a new account and indicated that was the hold-up. That's in spite of the credit report not showing my original UA card and the Travelbank one separately. When I call them to discuss the authorized user situation for my wife's card, I really hope they will not tell me now that the UA card downgrade was in fact my 6th in 24mo.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:05 am

So, to sum up...
My credit report has summer 2019 (not spring 2018) as the account open date for my wife's AMEx card for which I'm the authorized user.
Your wife added you as an authorized user to her Amex card in summer 2019.
...the rep brought up that my Travelbank UA card was a new account and indicated that was the hold-up. That's in spite of the credit report not showing my original UA card and the Travelbank one separately.
The rep was wrong, which is all too common with Chase reps. The downgrade to Travelbank UA card is not a new account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.