Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
So I app'd CIP last month, denied like many others. Did some recon's but denied. It was over a month since last recon, decided to app personal and be done with things, since I've been 4/24 a bit. App'd IHG premier, pending, called status- 2 weeks, then half hour later Chase fraud called to confirm app, and approved for $6.6k limit.
I'm very close to 25% of my income with Chase. All of my cards were set to minimum CL's in order to make odds better.

I want to MDD tomorrow am early, probs with Hyatt or a CF (didn't know about this when I app'd CSP last fall, c'est la vie). Should I call in now and lower the CL on the new IHG, or not?

One reason I ask is that in recon for CIP last month the lady was saying something about if my biz cards had extra limit she could at least PC my CIU to CIP if I still wanted it, but since I didn't have the needed limit she couldn't do that (I didn't care since I only was there for the bonus but that was annoying since I could have kept limits higher). I know personal side is totally different tho. Unsure what to do- keep the full CL and take the chance of eyes on the account if I need to try to reallocate, or call now and lower CL and take risk of not having as high CL and them denying for not enough credit to extend once they already gave?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 7:39 pm

Downgrade counts towards 5/24 !!

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not. I certainly did not know this.

I assumed there'd be no issue with getting approved for 2 cards that I'd applied for since I had it in my mind that I was below the 5/24 threshold (along with good credit).

I wanted Freedom Unlimited and Sapphire Preferred so that I could convert all my miscellaneous spend to Hyatt points.
Got approved for the former.
Applied for the latter short time later, but was declined.
I called their reconsideration number. I had one of the UA cards which I stupidly first downgraded to the free lowest-tier UA card only to just close it out a few weeks later. The guy told me that the downgrade counted as my 5th card, even though there was no application or credit check. He wouldn't budge. He sounded like I should've known a new card is a new card.
Was this supposed to be common knowledge? A rookie mistake?

Now I'm stuck with Freedom Unlimited without the Sapphire for a while.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
I don't know if this is common knowledge or not. I certainly did not know this.

I assumed there'd be no issue with getting approved for 2 cards that I'd applied for since I had it in my mind that I was below the 5/24 threshold (along with good credit).

I wanted Freedom Unlimited and Sapphire Preferred so that I could convert all my miscellaneous spend to Hyatt points.
Got approved for the former.
Applied for the latter short time later, but was declined.
I called their reconsideration number. I had one of the UA cards which I stupidly first downgraded to the free lowest-tier UA card only to just close it out a few weeks later. The guy told me that the downgrade counted as my 5th card, even though there was no application or credit check. He wouldn't budge. He sounded like I should've known a new card is a new card.
Was this supposed to be common knowledge? A rookie mistake?

Now I'm stuck with Freedom Unlimited without the Sapphire for a while.
The rep gave you bad information. The downgrade of a Chase card doesn't add to your 5/24. You were either denied for a different reason, or there's another card that you haven't counted that got you to 5/24 when you were approved for the Freedom Unlimited.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
The rep gave you bad information. The downgrade of a Chase card doesn't add to your 5/24. You were either denied for a different reason, or there's another card that you haven't counted that got you to 5/24 when you were approved for the Freedom Unlimited.
I have good credit. I asked him if it had anything to do with possibly exceeding my quota for the combined credit line across all my cards, but he told me that wasn't it.

Prior to the approval for CFU and then denial for Sapphire, I'd opened 3 cards in the past 24mo. There's no way I'm miscounting and I've never upgraded any card before either. And again the rep did tell me specifically that I was denied due to opening too many credit cards within the past 24mo. Apparently the downgrade of Chase UA card resulted in a different account number. He said anytime that happens, it counts as a new card. That part did make me wonder, because I've had to have new cards issued a number of times in the past for security reasons and every new card comes with a different number. One of the cards is coming up on 2-yr anniversary this Nov, and he encouraged me to wait till then to reapply.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....downgrade of Chase UA card resulted in a different account number....
A new number does not necessarily indicate a new account. It's possible that a rep bungled the downgrade, and instead closed and opened a new account, but inasmuch as we have no similar reports I would suggest looking at your credit report to see if it shows a "new" account.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by mia
A new number does not necessarily indicate a new account. It's possible that a rep bungled the downgrade, and instead closed and opened a new account, but inasmuch as we have no similar reports I would suggest looking at your credit report to see if it shows a "new" account.
Actually yeah you’re right that a new card number does not mean a new account.
But in the case of this Chase UA downgrade, for sure they gave me a new account. My Chase app and online screen continue to show both of my discontinued UA cards (the original and the downgrade one) as two separate accounts. Such thing never happened when I’ve downgraded with AMEx or got replacement cards with Chase.

You’re saying that Chase mishandled my downgrade then? That’s not the way Chase handles a downgrade typically?
In that case, I wonder if there’s any recourse. The reconsideration rep I talked to didn’t offer any.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 8:31 pm
mia

You’re saying that Chase mishandled my downgrade ....
No, I am only saying that a mishandled downgrade is one explanation that would account for the facts. It may be that Chase's contract with UA treats product changes to the Travelbank card differently, because TravelBank does not earn miles.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It may be that Chase's contract with UA treats product changes to the Travelbank card differently, because TravelBank does not earn miles.
That may be what it is.
I guess the lesson learned is, you think you may have all bases covered but this 5/24 rule may still bite you in unexpected ways.
alvinroast and 808traveler like this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But in the case of this Chase UA downgrade, for sure they gave me a new account. My Chase app and online screen continue to show both of my discontinued UA cards (the original and the downgrade one) as two separate accounts. Such thing never happened when I’ve downgraded with AMEx or got replacement cards with Chase.

You’re saying that Chase mishandled my downgrade then? That’s not the way Chase handles a downgrade typically?
In that case, I wonder if there’s any recourse. The reconsideration rep I talked to didn’t offer any.
I'm pretty sure it's way too late now.

The thing you should have asked when you downgraded is whether all of your credit history (including the age of the card) would be preserved. Then, when you were issued a new account number, you should have checked then to make sure that your credit report (once it showed up there) showed your original card's credit history. Then, if it didn't, you should have immediately contacted Chase at the point and told them that you were promised (after asking) that the downgraded card would inherit the original card's credit history and that didn't happen, and what can they do?

But if you never thought to ask if your credit history would be preserved on this new card, and never got the promise that it would, I'm not sure if there's anything they'll agree to fix.

At any rate, it would have to be a totally separate discussion with Chase about your existing downgraded card, not mentioning anything about wanting to apply for a new card.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 6:28 am

But in the case of this Chase UA downgrade, for sure they gave me a new account. My Chase app and online screen...
The only way to know "for sure" is to identify the account(s) in question on your credit report. Anything else is just speculative evidence.
mia likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm pretty sure it's way too late now.

The thing you should have asked when you downgraded is whether all of your credit history (including the age of the card) would be preserved. Then, when you were issued a new account number, you should have checked then to make sure that your credit report (once it showed up there) showed your original card's credit history. Then, if it didn't, you should have immediately contacted Chase at the point and told them that you were promised (after asking) that the downgraded card would inherit the original card's credit history and that didn't happen, and what can they do?

But if you never thought to ask if your credit history would be preserved on this new card, and never got the promise that it would, I'm not sure if there's anything they'll agree to fix.

At any rate, it would have to be a totally separate discussion with Chase about your existing downgraded card, not mentioning anything about wanting to apply for a new card.
Thanks for the pointers.
The only questions I recall asking at the time of the downgrade had to do with making sure that they wouldn't run a credit check and that this did not constitute a new card application. They said no on both.
It never occurred to me to ask those specific things you mention above.
So yeah, probably nothing they can do at this point as you say.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:50 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Thanks for the pointers.
The only questions I recall asking at the time of the downgrade had to do with making sure that they wouldn't run a credit check and that this did not constitute a new card application. They said no on both.
It never occurred to me to ask those specific things you mention above.
So yeah, probably nothing they can do at this point as you say.
Did you have a balance on the old card? It would have transferred over. Also your statements would show your historical charges and payments, back past the downgrade. If there are no historic statements, that's another way to tell that you got issued a new card.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:47 am
mia

Originally Posted by pallhedge
The only way to know "for sure" is to identify the account(s) in question on your credit report. Anything else is just speculative evidence.
Agreed, even if Chase displays the TravelBank card separately, what matters is how it is reported to credit bureaus.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Did you have a balance on the old card? It would have transferred over. Also your statements would show your historical charges and payments, back past the downgrade. If there are no historic statements, that's another way to tell that you got issued a new card.
I did have balance in my old card. The balance never transferred over to the new downgraded UA card. There is literally no record of any transactions or past statements associated with that new UA card. I recently got a refund on a past transaction made with my old UA card... the refund went to that old UA card account, not the new downgraded one.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:29 pm

Chase Sapphire Preferred not instant approved

Hi, I just applied for the CSP but did not get instant approved. I have 830 credit score and under 5/24. Should I call to try to get it approved on the phone?

I’m also planning on applying for the Chase Hyatt card. Should I wait for the CSP approval first before applying for the Hyatt? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.