Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:21 pm

Just applied for United Quest card and the "Verifying your Information" message has been spinning/hanging for 20+ minutes. I knew after a couple minutes something was up, but any suggestions on what to do here? Maybe I should apply again in a different browser?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by levilevi
Applied - in 2 week waiting - called in, they took some info and said still have to wait - I assume , if approved, still get the 80k offer I applied under, even if that offer goes away tomorrow?
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Yes . Your promotion is applied to the Application and date
Good Luck
Card showed up online today - so within 3 days. Not bad
Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:47 am

Applied for CSP on June 1, in time for 80k point bonus. Received a phone call about 45 minutes later where they asked some pretty tough questions to establish my identity, like my brother’s month of birth and my major at xxx University (I didn’t attend that school). I was told I would get a response within 30 days but 10 minutes later I received an email saying I’ve been approved and my card should arrive within 3-5 days.

Now, I called Chase to ask how to set up my online account as I didn’t have an application number. They couldn’t help with that but were able to expedite the delivery of my card. I’ll actually be away for the next week so I hope they can just put it in the mailbox and not require a signature.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by xenophile
Just applied for United Quest card and the "Verifying your Information" message has been spinning/hanging for 20+ minutes. I knew after a couple minutes something was up, but any suggestions on what to do here? Maybe I should apply again in a different browser?
Applied again in Chrome browser without any ad/script/cookie blockers and the app went through no problem.
SPN Lifer and MDtR-Chicago like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:00 pm

Chase Card Sign Up Bonus Eligibility ??

I obtained a Chase Sapphire Reserve card in Feb 2017 and received a bonus.
I converted the card to a Chase Freedom Jan 2022, when I signed up for a premium non-Chase Travel card.
Can I get a new Chase Card with a bonus, probably a United card or Marriott card (or even another Sapphire Reserve) with a bonus?
When I read Chase's materials--it appears I need need to wait 48 months to quality for a bonus (Feb 2021).
A Chase representative told me I need to cancel the freedom card and wait another 48 months to qualify.

Is the Chase representative correct? Or do I qualify now?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by srb100
I obtained a Chase Sapphire Reserve card in Feb 2017 and received a bonus.
I converted the card to a Chase Freedom Jan 2022, when I signed up for a premium non-Chase Travel card.
Can I get a new Chase Card with a bonus, probably a United card or Marriott card (or even another Sapphire Reserve) with a bonus?
When I read Chase's materials--it appears I need need to wait 48 months to quality for a bonus (Feb 2021).
A Chase representative told me I need to cancel the freedom card and wait another 48 months to qualify

Is the Chase representative correct? Or do I qualify now?
Welcome to FT.
He/she was wrong. The 48 month waiting period only applies to the Sapphire cards. The 48 months is from the date of your Bonus so you're fine there.

You can also get any other Chase cards if you qualify. Chase also has a 5/24 rules that states you cannot qualify for a Chase card if you have opened 5 or more credit cards from all banks in the last 24 months. Read through this thread for more data points: Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Last edited by philemer; Jun 3, 2022 at 7:08 pm
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by srb100
Is the Chase representative correct?
Originally Posted by philemer
Welcome to FT. … Chase also has a 5/24 rules that states you cannot qualify for a Chase card if you have opened 5 or more credit cards from all banks in the last 24 months. …
No, the Chase rep is not correct. Sapphire cards have a 48 month interval between bonuses, other Chase cards have a 24 month interval. It’s invariably clearly written in the first few lines of the application page “Offer Details” link. 24/48 month SUB (sign up bonus) interval is different than 5/24 rules, often mentioned together because both are unique to Chase.

Other than Sapphire cards (Preferred and Reserve) and some IHG cards, Chase SUB intervals only apply to the exact same card. It is possible (if other Chase application criteria are acceptable) to get multiple SUBs for similar cards in less than 24/48 months. Hyatt personal bonus and Hyatt biz bonus, multiple UA personal bonuses and biz bonuses, and IHG personal and biz each. My personal datapoint is 10 Chase SUBs over the past 18 months, mostly biz, 3 UA, 2 Hyatt, 2 IHG, 2 Ink, 1 Sapphire. (Can’t get that SUB Antabuse to work. )

It's best to educate yourself as much as possible in this regard. Representatives rarely know as much as FT collective wisdom and representatives are often clueless. Another important lesson is HUCA (hang up, call again) which unfortunately is often necessary when dealing with an unhelpful or clueless representative.

Good luck grasshopper*, happy credit card SUB hunting.

(* “Grasshopper” from "Kung Fu" television series circa 1972-75. Caine is a young student at the Shaolin temple who, in his youthful naiveté, takes pity on a blind Shaolin master believing the master's blindness to be a terrible affliction. The master quickly corrects him, illustrating that despite his blindness his awareness of the world is much higher - for example the master notices the grasshopper at Caine's feet whereas Caine does not. Subsequently the blind master mentors Caine and calls him "Grasshopper".)

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Jun 7, 2022 at 9:20 am Reason: grasshopper footnote added, "some IHG cards" added
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:22 pm

Thanks for the information. It seemed crazy that they where giving me an incentive to not carry a Chase card fro 4 years.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Other than Sapphire cards (Preferred and Reserve), Chase SUB intervals only apply to the exact same card.
I believe this is no longer the case. The IHG Premier & Traveler cards now have a similar “deadly embrace”—receiving a bonus on either restarts a 24-month waiting period.
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:40 am
RNE

Originally Posted by yowflyer
...asked some pretty tough questions to establish my identity, like my brother’s month of birth and my major at xxx University (I didn’t attend that school).
You're kidding, right?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by beltway
... The IHG Premier & Traveler cards now have a similar “deadly embrace”—receiving a bonus on either restarts a 24-month waiting period.
Thank you. I’ve edited/corrected the sentence (of mine) you quoted.
beltway likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Thank you. I’ve edited/corrected the sentence (of mine) you quoted.
And I've now updated the wiki.
mia and Dr Jabadski like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by beltway
And I've now updated the wiki.
You're a Good Man Charlie Brown !
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:58 pm

An observation for folks that might be interested in the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless card. I never had any Marriott co-branded cards. I was at 2/24 until last week. The 2 new cards were non-Chase premium travel cards that I was approved for within the last 5 months (after downgrading the Sapphire Reserve to Freedom Unlimited in January 2022). My credit scores from all 3 bureaus were in the 800's.

I applied for the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless card on Sunday after reading about the new 5 FNA SUB after 5k spend in 3 months. At the end of the application process, I got a message indicating that the application was in review and I would be notified of the decision within 30 days.

I called the regular Chase Customer Service line (not recon) on Monday to check on the status. The CSR said the application was pending review.
I called the reconsideration line today (Wednesday) morning. The CRS advised me that the application was still in queue, awaiting a manual review. She could not provide any details on when it would be processed. She advised me to call back in a few days.

Interestingly, I got an email within 5 minutes of the last call, stating that the card application had been approved and I would receive the card in 3 to 5 business days. The card showed up in my online Chase account as well.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by TheDenverGuy
...Interestingly, I got an email within 5 minutes of the last call, stating that the card application had been approved and ...
Yes, Chase has indeed made the “approval notification” process inaccurate and unnecessarily complicated. There are many datapoints of what should be called “modified instant approval”, whereby the last application webpage states something to the effect of “pending further review” but the new account is present online as soon as one can login to their account and a “congratulations” email is received 2 minutes later. Quite annoying .

(Just realized as I wrote this that “modified instant approval” is another phase for which the acronym is “mia” which most commonly is Miami airport but to me is “missing in action” and absolutely should not imply any disrespect to our esteemed moderator . Perhaps a different term is appropriate, maybe (from Chase’s spin doctor point of view) “improved instant approval” or maybe “adjusted instant approval”. )
donasaur likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.