Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Applying for Chase PERSONAL Cards (2020 - 2022)

Old May 13, 2022, 4:00 pm

Was recently approved for a United Mileage Plus Explorer personal card after having one about 5 or 6 years ago and closing it. The Wiki mentions that even though they approved me, they still might send me a letter later saying I do no qualify for the bonus miles. Any experience on how long it takes them to notify me or when to expect this letter? Can I call and ask if I qualify for the miles? I'd like to start spending on this card, but not if I'm not gonna get the bonus. Thanks !
Old May 13, 2022, 4:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
60,000 Bonus Miles After You Spend $3,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening and 10,000 Bonus Miles After You Spend A Total Of $6,000 On Purchases In The First 6 Months From Account Opening: This product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of this credit card who received a new Cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months.
If you did not meet both of these criteria Chase would not have approved the application. There is no basis to deny the bonus if you make the spend.
donasaur likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck
I had that happen with my last application "we'll let you know our decision by mail and this could take 30 days", then 2 days later I received an email stating that I was approved. This was back in Feb.
Interesting - just curious how long did it take to receive the card? I was approved on Sunday 5/8 and still haven't received it. 3-5 business days I thought.
Old May 13, 2022, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Interesting - just curious how long did it take to receive the card? I was approved on Sunday 5/8 and still haven't received it. 3-5 business days I thought.
Nope, more like 7-9 days. From my actual experience.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by philemer
Nope, more like 7-9 days. From my actual experience.
Same with me.
Old May 16, 2022, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
It is possible to call the number and have them overnight it to you, if you told them you're going on the road and need the card sooner than normal...
Old May 16, 2022, 11:07 pm

Does anyone know for sure the exact Chase date policy for a new card bonus regarding "previous cardholders who have not received the bonus within the past 24 months"?

What counts as 24 months? Is the 24-month clock tied to exactly 2 years past one of the specific dates (card approval date? bonus-spend met date? date of statement-close with the bonus shown?), or to whole calendar months meaning 24 "full" 30 day months regardless of which specific date something was met, like a statement close of May 1 means you must wait until June 1 to not be "within 24 months"?

I'm looking to reapply for the united explorer card which I got in April 2020: applied April 3, card received April 15, hit the bonus spend on April 29, and the first statement with closing date of 5/1 has the bonus listed as received. The card was closed in mid-May 2021 when the fee showed up. It's now May 17, 2022. Is this enough elapsed time to apply again and get the new bonus? I have some big bills due quite soon that I want to apply toward a new bonus, if I can get the new card in the next week or two, so it may be cutting it close depending on the bonus eligibility timing rules.

Also, should it possible to call Chase and ask them to see if a new card would be confirmed bonus-eligible? I recall once calling to ask a few years back, and the agent said they couldn't find out for me, and to just apply and find out, which wasn't exactly useful.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Skytizen
It is possible to call the number and have them overnight it to you, if you told them you're going on the road and need the card sooner than normal...
This is true IME for almost all Chase cards except IHG personal cards. FWIW, the magic word is “expedited.”
Old May 22, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
This is weird - Chase won't let me open a Sapphire account in the branch?

I have my main checking account as well as a small savings account with Chase, and have had those accounts open for over a decade. I also have a Freedom Unlimited that I've used as one of my primary credit cards for several years. I also had a Sapphire Preferred several years ago, which I ended up downgrading/closing more than four years ago. My credit is close to 800, no late payments or anything at all derogatory on my credit reports.

I went into my usual Chase branch the other week and while I was there asked one of the bankers about offers for the Sapphire cards, as I'm going to be starting to travel again (hopefully) a decent amount now that we're moving on from covid. He gave me a rundown of the two offers (80K for CSP, 50K for CSR) and told me that I should apply in the branch to get the best terms. I figured that's fine - I'm happy to give him credit for opening up the account rather than me doing it online or over the phone.

So I mull the offers and my likely future travel plans over for a couple of weeks and then decide to get the CSP. I go into the branch yesterday morning, figuring it'll take all of 10 minutes to apply for the card, as they have all my information. However, he says the system won't let him offer me a Sapphire card - the option simply doesn't appear on his list when he inputs my personal info into the system. He shows me the screen - there's a list of cards that I'm "pre-approved" for, but Sapphire isn't on there, and he says there's no way for him to proceed. The branch manager then tells me that this means their system refuses to let me open the account in branch and wants me to do it online. She says there's nothing they can do.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before? It seems, not to put too fine a point on it, stupid. When I go into my online banking portal, it does allow me to apply for a Sapphire card - I'm not preapproved, but it shows the offer. I haven't done that because I'm worried it's going to tell me I'm either rejected for some reason or not eligible for the bonus, and I don't want the pull on my credit report if that happens.

Why on earth would my own bank not let me apply for one of their products at my local branch but instead push me to their website? It seems to fly in the face of any effort to develop a personal relationship with a longtime customer.
Old May 23, 2022, 3:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Why on earth would my own bank not let me apply for one of their products at my local branch but instead push me to their website? ....
Perhaps because you have had the card before, and they only reward employees for "new" business? In any event, there is no reason not to apply online. Chase will not approve the application unless you are eligible for the bonus.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:37 am
RNE

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
...decide to get the CSP.
mia is right and time's wasting.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:43 am

I got the "We'll let you know email" and then maybe 2 hours later a second email said "you are approved. Expect the card in 5-10 biz days." It took about 2 weeks though to get the physical card. They are definitely a little slower with the mailing system.

In the meantime, after about 3 days, I got a third email that said the Lounge Passes were already loaded to my account and I could use them via the app.
Old May 29, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheaptom
I got the "We'll let you know email" and then maybe 2 hours later a second email said "you are approved. Expect the card in 5-10 biz days." It took about 2 weeks though to get the physical card. They are definitely a little slower with the mailing system.

In the meantime, after about 3 days, I got a third email that said the Lounge Passes were already loaded to my account and I could use them via the app.
5-10 business days is just fancy speak for 1 to 2 weeks, since business days are only Monday through Friday. So your estimate was really 1 to 2 weeks, and you said you did get it in about 2 weeks.

So their estimates are phrased misleadingly, but they don't seem that far off in this case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:01 am

Applied - in 2 week waiting - called in, they took some info and said still have to wait - I assume , if approved, still get the 80k offer I applied under, even if that offer goes away tomorrow?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by levilevi
Applied - in 2 week waiting - called in, they took some info and said still have to wait - I assume , if approved, still get the 80k offer I applied under, even if that offer goes away tomorrow?

Yes . Your promotion is applied to the Application and date
Good Luck
levilevi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.